PDA

View Full Version : why would things change?

jteuton
07-18-2002, 02:57 PM
When i first fixed my car up i just bolted the muffler to the end of the header. Needless to say there was alot of resonance in the cabin. Today I got it ran out to the back with the same muffler and it feels faster and sounds quieter. I understand the quiet part since the muffler is no longer under the driver seat but i don't get the power part. Is it just me or does somebody need to explain something to me?

1988starter
07-18-2002, 04:34 PM
You gained exhaust velocity. What happnes with the linger pipe the gas has a faster exhause I know it sounds weird but it is true so when it exited your mufflet it came out faster reducing backpresure also with a muffler that close you might of had some gas buildup and that is never good. If I am wrong someone please smack me.

Dutchboy
07-18-2002, 06:11 PM
i dont know if your wrong but isnt a lack of back pressure bad for the engine...??????
makes sense sort of what you said...straight pipe has a lot less resistance than alot of curves and bends thats for sure...
Ben

1988starter
08-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Pointless memoribal whoring

TeKKnoTeKK
08-17-2002, 06:21 PM
All backressure is, is a resistance to flow......so no, a lack of backpressure is not bad for the engine, its good.

POS carb
08-17-2002, 11:40 PM
backpressure is bad, velocity is good, however they contradict eachother, the trick is to find the optimum compromise between velocity and backpressure (where velocity gains most outweigh backpressure losses)
loss of backpressure doesn't hurt the engine except maybe if it causes a backfire in your intake manifold. :ego:
engines also respond to tuning according to wavelengths, much like the diameter and length of port tubes affect how a subwoofer sounds and how it affects its bass (horsepower :rolleyes: ) responce characteristics, this is why you have stuff like carb and TB spacers, dual plane intakes, high rise manifolds, etc. and short rams and single plane manifolds and shit like that. It all affects when and how the motor makes power.
:toilet: