PDA

View Full Version : Noise from engine room

epic1400cs
06-07-2004, 11:03 PM
My UK spec Aerodeck CA5 A20 with injection automatic makes wierd noise since last couple of months. It sounds like electric fan motor with run out of greese in its bearing. I have checked but it not from fan motor. It is from some where around destributor but very difficult to pin down. Normally it starts when I pull out the car and then stops after one minutes. And start again sometimes randomly. The noise is in constant speed so its should not be either from engine itself or drive train I guess. There is no substantial problem so far but I wanna fix it before it becomes big problem cos Honda parts in UK are fxxxing expensive say twice or three times compare to Japan! Any help will be appreciated!

k-roy
06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
It could be a few things
Just to make sure its not the fans disconnect them and run it for a few minutes, it should not overheat if you just let it idle.
Try changing the distributor car and rotor. There could be a foreign object or a build up of residue inside.
Or the distributor bearing could be going out.
Or it could even be the thermostat, egr valve or something in the head itself.

Its tough to give you an exact answer without seeing the car in person. Could you possibly give a more detailed description?

epic1400cs
06-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks k-roy. :welcome: I have replaced the fan motor and have seen the fun running with no noise. I can still hear the nasty noise regardless. Distributor is unlikely cos the noise is in constant frequency (distributor changes its rotational speed depends on the rpm). Also noise strats and stops after between 15 sec to 60 sec as if it is controlled by sensor switch or something. I will have a closer look at the thermostat, egr valve as you suggesed.

I know is it very difficult to diagnose without looking at it. The noise is repetitve and in constant speed (say 10 Hz), produced by either reciprocal or rotational fliction. Sounds closer to metalic fliction but not hiting noise. Also there is very slight vibelation to the steering wheel if you are in cocpit. The noise is not relative to speed of engine or car itself but strangely enough most of the time when I start the engine and start the car, the noise kicks in. Mysterious isn't it? :dunno:

Robs89LXi
06-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Checked your power steering fluid level? Any leaks in the system?

epic1400cs
07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Last week I have pop in to honda dealer and have a chat about some repair - to find out if I can afford it he he he.(It is always flightening to know the dealer ships estimate) The advisor immediately say this my problem is from ALB (ABS) system and quite common problem. I will bring my car to garage later this week and will see what will come up.

AccordAddict
07-27-2004, 03:29 PM
i was thinking it was your power steering but nope.

epic1400cs
07-27-2004, 11:27 PM
i was thinking it was your power steering but nope.
Actually that was good suggestion - I didn't think about it. I have checked the PS fluid level and lines but there is no indication of leak. But you never know, let the professional to check it out.

epic1400cs
08-01-2004, 03:09 PM
I had very disguting and shocking experience with both Honda dealership and local garage this week - unfortunately I could not find out what the problem was. I will post it when i find out.

AccordEpicenter
08-01-2004, 03:34 PM
i bet its your distributor itself... open it up and check for red dust, ill bet the bearings are going on it.