PDA

View Full Version : What do I use?

89dxowner
06-08-2004, 10:48 AM
I want to paint my bumpers and side moldings back to black. What kind of paint should I use? I know regular spray paint will end up peeling off. Sorry If the answer to this is somewhere in the forum I looked and couldn't find it.

MIK3
06-08-2004, 01:07 PM
This really should be a how-to. I'm not sure why the mod's have opted not to make one. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it, haha.

Anyway...PM me for the entire procedure as to how to do it...(I've done it twice now in the last 2 years.)

The paint that you want is made by Cardinal Industrial Finishes. The job will take about 3-5 cans worth, depending on how many coats you want. Don't forget that equals about 1-3 cans of clear coat as well. The specific color that you're looking for that most closely resembles our stock color for black on the 3geez is "S/G 7021 BLACK GRAY". This is what I used on my bumpers. Now I'm not sure on the prices, but I have a feeling that they are pretty pricey. I say this because my dad brings this home from his work, and he uses this paint to finish his machines he works on ( computer chip production wafers). He says it's the best out there w/ out a doubt. So if an engineering company approves of it, I think I'll approve of it and recommend it, haha. Have a look around at www.cardinalpaint.com I think it is...

Like I said, PM me for further details on what you need to do as far as preping, applying, and finishing. Hope this helps a little bit.

k-roy
06-08-2004, 01:11 PM
I used Plastikote brand bumper/trim primer and paint from autozone. You will probably need 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of paint. First I removed the bumpers, wiped them down with acetone, sanded, more acetone, 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. After 2.5 years the rear looks great and the front has a couple minor little places where it has chipped off from high speed driving. All together I spent about $20 and it made the car look a hell of a lot better.

89dxowner
06-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Well I couldn't wait for replies lol I went out and bought 2 cans (all they had) of Black Dupli-Color Bumper Coating. I am going to take off the bumpers and sand them down along with the side moldings and primer then paint. When I get done I will post pics.

Chubs87Accord
06-12-2004, 11:03 PM
ive heard a lot of good things about krylon fusion

k-roy
06-13-2004, 12:33 AM
So have I :ugh:
:rice:

Andrew
06-13-2004, 06:46 AM
A buddy of mine just gave me a little battery powered Jeep for my kid. I re-painted it with Krylon Fusion and it turned out really goood.

89dxowner
06-29-2004, 12:04 AM
i got the side trim, back bumper, License plate backing and mud guards painted with the bumper coating it looks pretty good. Tell me what you think. The front looks higher because of the slope of the driveway.

http://luvguy33.250free.com/Picture002.jpg
http://luvguy33.250free.com/Picture003.jpg
http://luvguy33.250free.com/Picture005.jpg
http://luvguy33.250free.com/Picture006.jpg
http://luvguy33.250free.com/Picture007.jpg

MIK3
06-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Sitting pretty man. Watch out for those mudguards though. Because of how flexible they are, they will cause the paint to crack, and eventually you will get tired of reapplying. That's why I took mine off, the car looks a bit more cleaner with them off I think as well.

Chubs87Accord
06-29-2004, 12:27 AM
dang, looks sweet.. why dont you have the car bra thingers on the headlights? haha

89dxowner
06-29-2004, 03:11 PM
I dont even like the bra the only reason its on there is because the front of the right side fender is smashed and with the bra on you cant tell. You can see on the headlight where it got hit. So until i get that fixed and the car painted the bra is staying and I dont know what you mean by the headlight bra.

Chubs87Accord
06-29-2004, 03:15 PM
iunno.. coulda sworn the last time i saw a 3g car bra it had two little dingers to be put on the flip ups.. i could be wrong though.. and i hear ya on the cover up, my friend bashed his saturn agaist a guardrail (raining out and he hydroplaned) so he had a car bra on it.. then he just got a brand new RSX, haha

HostileJava
06-29-2004, 03:24 PM

They do have the Fusion in black and it holds up very well on the bumpers, my hatch has been sitting outside for about a year now in the sun with no fading or peeling.

i.c.
06-29-2004, 04:32 PM
So have I :ugh:
:rice:

lol...stfu...i made my dx look mad tyte!

(jk....i think i still ahve it on my cardomain page.....just remember....PREP WORK IS TEH KEYZZZ!)

bullard123
06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
iunno.. coulda sworn the last time i saw a 3g car bra it had two little dingers to be put on the flip ups.. i could be wrong though.. and i hear ya on the cover up, my friend bashed his saturn agaist a guardrail (raining out and he hydroplaned) so he had a car bra on it.. then he just got a brand new RSX, haha

No. You are right. They are two leather pieces that slide over your eye lids and metal part of your flip ups. I see them in the junkyard a lot.

89dxowner
06-29-2004, 07:48 PM
huh never seen em.