PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Car wont start!!!!!

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Okay I just finished work and went to start my car it started but after 15 seconds it just shut off. It just quit without sputtering or nothing and all the dash incidator lights came on as it would when you put the key in the on position. I tried to start it and turns over and everything so I know its not the starter. I check all fuses and all are good. I disconnected battery for about 5 mins. and tried again.....nothing it just kept turning over but wouldn't catch. So I called my gf to pick me up and she brought my engine start fluid. I sprayed that on the carb according to instructions....still nothing....please help...... what could it be???????? Oh and my fuel filters are new and also the fuel pump so I know its not that...So right now my car is still at my job awaiting me to bring her home....please help..... :sadwave: :sadwave: :sadwave: :sadwave: :bow: :bow: :bow:

88accordalltheway
06-08-2004, 07:11 PM
maybe you need gas........

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey A20A1 if you read this post.... will you be willing to come look at it for me. I will come pick you up to get you on base, I probaly will end towing it.....man that gonna cost $$$$$$ :burn: :burn: :mad: :mad:

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 07:15 PM
maybe you need gas........
LOL....oh it has gas...LOL I think I probaly flooded the engine in fact .....but I took the airbox off and fuel bowl was full so I kept starting it without pressing gas to try to burn some while starting.

88accordalltheway
06-08-2004, 07:15 PM
what about plugs and wires? vaccume leak?

lightbulblxi
06-08-2004, 07:16 PM
is it a bad engine ground? i kno that will make stuff screwy.

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 07:21 PM
More info about engine ground please.....where wires located..etc.

lightbulblxi
06-08-2004, 07:28 PM
im not sure where all of thm are, but il look for a thread awhile back that lised thm. the most common is from the alve cover to the frame

lightbulblxi
06-08-2004, 07:35 PM
here ya go man, good luck. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31462&highlight=engine+ground

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Cool I'll check those out.....Alright, anything else... come on guys you gotta help me. I dont wanna spend my whole pay check this Thursday on my car $$$$$$ nooooo!!!!! Is anything visual to look for??? I'll even take a pic with my cam phone and post so you can see....LOL Imma change every fuse whether its blown or not He He He LOL....I know you guys probaly busy watching the Lakers game. LOL

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 08:14 PM
By the way could it be my plugs???.......I have plus 4's....or the accel coil....I have new 7mm wires already??? can I test the coil? if so...how? Which ground wire would make the car shut off if it were disconnected or came loose???

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Is it possible to change all the enigine wiring without removing the engine or any major parts? Like put a new Engine wiring harnes, etc.

smufguy
06-08-2004, 10:10 PM
okay, if the car turns over. There are two things that could be at fault.

1. You dotn have fuel
2. You dont have spark

#1 is true cause u said u got fuel

so check #2. see if ur gettin spark. See if ur ignition cables are good or what not. I dont know how on god's name u got ur carb flooded. ask someone to start the car without pressin on the gas, while u move the choke back and forth. I dont know jack about carbs, but i found some ways to keep my carb from dying on me whien i had it. Not to mention all that carb ever did for me was ruin my motor like shit. Damn carbs!!!!!! :mad:

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 10:16 PM
So...if I lose power to the inigiton coil (for example) while driving, will the car shut off????

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Okay it's 8:35pm here and I just finished messing with my car (in the dark and rain)...still trying to get it started. Okay finally it starts...yeh........I let it run for about 15min....still on.. yeh again. turn it off....turn it on...successful...yeh.... But I still dont know whats wrong with it and when its going to shut off while driving again. I'm pretty sure its a loose or shorted wire....I just need some detailed guidance from you guys to help me find that wire(s)....But for now I have no choice but to still use it for work...I'm only about 2 miles away from home anyway if anything happens. I would ride my bike like in the old days in High School when I use to work at Micky D's LOL....but its too risky cuz there is this narrow bridge I have to go on with 2-way traffic and it barely has side walks...picture a 18-wheeler coming by....LOL exactly what I thought. Oh...well at least I'll be able drive it home for tonight.

A20A1
06-08-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm gonna be kicked outa the huose on wednesday cause they are puting up a termite tent... I can help you on friday... frick I have no place to go wednesday night. :( I'll be a bum for a day.

soljaboy2000
06-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks for your help...

BlueBead
06-09-2004, 01:34 AM
totally sounds electrical man. I had a similar problem w/ my nissan pulsar long ago (yeah... I know, Nissan sux Honda balls) where the plugs were shorting down their plug boots (electric ignition, w/ coil packs for each plug). I spent seriosu money to find this shit out. it really to me sounds like you're ignition needs help man.. loose wire somewhere........ anyways, good luck and post when you figure it out

smufguy
06-09-2004, 04:52 AM
So...if I lose power to the inigiton coil (for example) while driving, will the car shut off????

yes, sir.

cvergi01
06-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Ok, to check the spark...
1) pull off the spark plug boot
2) stick a screwdriver into said boot
3) set the screwdriver on a good ground (the body over the radiator)
4) enter the drivers seat
5) turn ignition
6) look under the open hood for any spark jumping from the screwdriver to the ground, or listen for it.

That's it. Basically any starting problem you have is, as smuf said, fuel or spark (electricity).

A20A1
06-11-2004, 12:19 PM
did you ever replace your top hat gasket?

soljaboy2000
06-11-2004, 10:15 PM
No I have not......cant find the part....But today I basically took the car half apart to check wires and what and not. Got a few notes.....

-checked the resistance of the spark plug wires (their pretty new) and all is @0.2ohm or less
-took out my plus 4 spark plugs and they look all black..... is that normal? pic is blury but you can see that is all black
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo09/fe/25/764484a27b7d.jpg?_rh=cx1poej75mu9glc3oigjtpebt
-In this pic, this is the sensor (in the middle of the pic) above the oil filter, a while back I broke this wire but I splice it back together....would this make the car die out if the wire came loose again?
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo05/58/f1/27b5d91ffef0.jpg?_rh=5jurbi8rh2g19bymcb5hi3qio
-could my Accel coil be ready to croak? Will that cause the car to shut off if the coil dies?
-I took the distributor off and everything looks pretty clean no dust built up or anthing wrong with the terminals.
-And once agian all fuses are good
-replace engine ground wires with thicker, pure copper 8guage wire also
Anything else to check or take a pic of to post??

A20A1
06-11-2004, 11:17 PM
the black could be from oil... plus 4's are good plugs... but it they are fouling then it might be a gaping issue or the coil... remember where I showed you the coil could be arching.

soljaboy2000
06-11-2004, 11:43 PM
imma put the stock coil back cuz it seems more insulated due to the plastic housing and see if that works

smufguy
06-12-2004, 10:52 PM
platinums are over kill for a stock Carb motor. Just get the regular platinums are ur fine. Why is ur plug like that? looks more like crabon deposit to me, u running rich on ur carb????

A20A1
06-12-2004, 11:01 PM
you really should replace the top hat gasket before you make any more adjustments to the carb.