PDA

View Full Version : Who needs power steering anyway?

87AccordsterLx
06-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Well I got a damn leak in my PS hose. :( It was leaking all over the exhaust manafold so I said screw it... my PS belt needed to be changed anyway so I cut it off. It took me a little while to get use to the steering but Im getting more use to it now. I like how the car feels much better now that it is off. It revs up much more freely. Has anyone done the same with the A/C? I wonder how much more power that would free up? I think I'll have to try it.

blazin3gen
06-08-2004, 09:11 PM
no PS gives u a good work out :D no PS on my EF

k-roy
06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Ok now its time to get rid of more useless crap under the hood :)

88accordhb
06-08-2004, 10:04 PM
nooo k-roy, don't do it man..lol it's up to you, and why is there 2 thread of the same topic at the same time? lol personally our car is crappy enuff, why make it even crappier as far as luxuries go.

deadlight
06-09-2004, 04:08 AM
Because all those accesories are robbing power, if you want to go fast you're gonna have to make sacrifices somewhere, good call if you ask me. Manual steering isn't that bad, my dad's truck doesn't have power steering and my girlfriend can handle it and she doesn't even weigh 120.

Vinny
06-09-2004, 04:40 AM
you should have said something earlier Hathan, I have a spare hose sitting in the garage

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 08:12 AM
my girlfriend can handle it and she doesn't even weigh 120.
:kekeke: sounds like the other reply on the other thread, being a girl and not having p/s has nothing to do with one another, and yes i have taken the ps off on my camry and no boost in power watsoever! except maybe a tiny bit in the lower rmps...someone said it before on the other thread and i'll say it again, taking ps off is for people who can't afford real mods. if you can get a 3g to run 13's, the difference of having p/s or not is ultra subtle. sure, if youre doin like 17.6's 1/4 mile now, take p/s off and do 17.4's it' up to you.

Sabz5150
06-09-2004, 08:37 AM
taking ps off is for people who can't afford real mods.

So is flippin yer lid, but you and all the other carb owners did it.

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 08:47 AM
So is flippin yer lid, but you and all the other carb owners did it.
lol you got me there, i don't do it no mo' realize it was retarded as hell. did this back in the days when i first came on the board, i remember saying it's a stupid mod when someone came on and wanted to do it. let me find that post and hey! you live you learn right?
edit: don't feel offened by what i say, if you want to do the p/s mod, then by all means, do it and tell us how goes it. :)

deadlight
06-09-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm just saying there's more to it than a power gain, and it's not the end of the world if you actually have to put some effort into driving, I know alot of people who can afford "real mods" in some real fast cars, and have no power steering. In most cases you get much better steering feel, and besides, an extra couple horses never hurt anybody. :D

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm just saying there's more to it than a power gain, and it's not the end of the world if you actually have to put some effort into driving, I know alot of people who can afford "real mods" in some real fast cars, and have no power steering. In most cases you get much better steering feel, and besides, an extra couple horses never hurt anybody. :D
good and valid point. :)

87AccordsterLx
06-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Well... I never said that I wanted to do a "power steering mod". The hose has a leak so I cut the belt off so it would stop dripping on the manafold. The car does pull harder btw. It's not just on the low end for me either it's throughout the power band also.

Vinny, man I wouldn't have wanted to take your spare hose... what if you needed it? I think im just going to pick up a new one because they aren't that expensive. Thanks for the offer though. :) Hey are you still thinking about heading my way? Let me know so I can try to get off work.

Vinny
06-10-2004, 04:18 AM
I still am but I'm not sure exactly when. This weekend may be out since the wifes going to Jax for the weekend. Weekend after is fathers day. So it may be 3 weeks. I'll keep ya updated for sure.

Its not necessarily a spare hose, its just one I have from a complete PS setup I bought off Egay. Sitting in a box taking up space

88LXi68
06-10-2004, 04:28 AM
I also have a power steering hose and I do not plan on ever using it. If you want it let me know.

PS...no power steering kicks ass!

Coroncho80
06-10-2004, 06:07 AM
PS...no power steering kicks ass!

Word to that. As long as you keep the air pressure in check, you will be ok. In my case, no power steering feels good as hell.

87AccordsterLx
06-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Word to that. As long as you keep the air pressure in check, you will be ok. In my case, no power steering feels good as hell.

That's true... I should probably add some air... that would help out some. Right now everything is cool but it's hard to make sharp turns like short 180's and so on. Maybe the added pressure will help.

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2004, 10:56 AM
i still wanna grap a manual rack from an S model and do it right... according to my haynes, the manual takes less torque to turn... i wonder if that's true... i don't have PS now, as my system is leakier than a 6 month old baby boy... i plan on reairing it, but i still plan on taking it all off if i track down an s in the yard, or can bite the near $400 price tag of a reman rack from the parts store...

Vinny
06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
190 for a reman rack at advance auto. 161 at autozone. NOT 400 :D Oh and the parts listings show the same racks for ALL models, even the S

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2004, 11:47 AM
hmmm, i just noticed it's the same part number... odd... has me wondering...

deadlight
06-10-2004, 12:14 PM
That's true... I should probably add some air... that would help out some. Right now everything is cool but it's hard to make sharp turns like short 180's and so on. Maybe the added pressure will help.

You get used to it fairly quickly, and it's amazing how much you can feel the difference in air pressure. I've been driving my dad's B2200 for 2 years w/o power steering and I can fly around corners with it now no problem, I prefer no power steering for the most part, but I've never driven a FWD without it either.