PDA

View Full Version : Slotted Rotors, Over Priced?

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 10:45 AM
ok, i can probley shop around and order the slotted rotors myself. i know i can. but i went to my friend at his shop. he looked em up and found em. with shipping they came out to about $180. i think i can do better than that! i dont know what brand they were, but i think i saw them for less than $76 each. is that over priced for slotted rotor?

Gregg86DX
06-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Do you really need slotted? if you are going for the "bling-bling" factor, then drilled should work and those can be found on e-bay pretty cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480803731&category=33564&sspagename=WDVW

unc25
06-09-2004, 11:26 AM
hey gregg thanx for the ebay link I have been looking for some better front rotors! Thanx alot.

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 11:44 AM
nah, not going for any bling bling shit. going for performance, as you can ask some of the other members that have the slotted rotors about. i need to replace my rotors anyway and i wanted to do so with something worth replacing them with.

DeathRat
06-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Drilled Rotors are better than Slotted anyways. The Slotted will chew the pads more too. Just make sure you go with a HIGH CARBON content though! If you get cheap, they'll warp. The higher the carbon content the better. I suggest going with Ceramic Pads too, they offer less dust & last longer than semi-metallic pads too.

zero.counter
06-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Just use some Hawk pads, brembo blanks, larger master brake cylinder, SS brake lines, DOT 5 fluid if need be (Speed Master fluids). This alone will improve braking tremendously and is a general suggestion. Otherwise, bling factor alone imho...:)

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 06:07 PM
i dont get the part about the bling factor because the rotors are behind the wheels. anyway, the reason i'm not looking at drilled is because other 3geez members have said to stay away from them in the past due to cracking of the weakened structure of the rotor due to having holes drilled through them. although, i'm not going to be doing any stops from high way speeds or faster too often. i guess i can try and find either slotted or drilled. or combo of both. as for the pads, yeah any time you get performance rotors, you ought to get performance pads that can take a bit more. i was going to order the hawk ones, but they are kinda expensive, so i'm waiting to get rotors and new performance pads together. as for the braided metal fluid lines, i think i'd opt for those also if i can find direct replacements or an easy add on universal kind. my lines are 17 years old, so that would be something i'd invest in along with the rotors and pads. i found that my calipers dont need rebuilding as i thought in the past. i have a somewhat new master cylinder. its less than 3 years old, along with new rear brake cylinders.

Gregg86DX
06-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Nuthin' wrong with a little bling-bling! These are what I want:

Clicky (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2478340361&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

And yes, you need some custom wheels to actually appreciate these rotors.

The consensus I have heard says slotted/drilled rotors only help if you are doing repeated, high speed braking (aka, racing). In these circumstances, drilled rotors are prone to cracking. On the street, you probably never get the brakes hot enough to risk cracking, but you also don't get much benefit from the holes either. The fancy rotors (like Porsche) have the holes cast into the rotor, not drilled, so they don't crack.

If you really want better brakes, the answer was mentioned above: fresh fluid, good pads and SS lines. Stock replacement Brembo rotors from Nopi.com would work great with this setup.

BTW, check here for direct fit SS brake lines:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34468

Gregg

Hash_man_Se_i
06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
I have found that the slotted rotors seem to be pretty pricey as well... So far the cheapest I found in town was $260 CDN for the front rotors... seems kinda obsurd to me, but I may just pick some up after my SS lines, seeing as I already have Axxis pads, and plan to do some autoX this summer.

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 08:57 PM
i really dont give a shit what they look like. the only reason i want them is for braking purposes only. better than OEM or its equivalents is what i want. although, those brembo drilled and slotted are something i'd go for. later on i do plan on getting bigger wheels, but looks are on the back burner. i'd rather go with performance first and go for looks later. i'd rather run better than look better.

Hash_man_Se_i
06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Ya good call....and I have heard too many stories about cross drilled rotors cracking on people... IMO not worth the risk, or the cost. I would way rather have to replace my pads more often because the slotted shave a bit off, then worry about my rotors cracking.

zero.counter
06-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Just to clarify, what will you be doing with your car? i.e. AutoX, illegal street racing, etc., so that we will know what kind of an answer to give you. If you already stated and I missed, I apologize. It just seems like your are getting frustrated by our suggestion and/or comments. I understand that my reply was off topic, but you get where I am coming from...:)

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 09:12 PM
later on i do plan on racing auto cross. maybe a small amount of drag racing. i'd like to be stopping good before i dump the money in the engine. also, my rotors are unbalanced and/or warped. the fact is i just need new ones, and im wanting something other than a common vented disk. unfortuately i do have a bad habit of street racing once in a while and its nice being able to stop well.

86AccordLxi
06-09-2004, 09:52 PM
As someone already mentioned, slotted/drilled rotors are only good for repeated, high speed braking because they dissapate heat better than stock rotors. Even for autocross, I think crossdrilled/slotted rotors are overkill because you won't heat them up enough. My opinion, save your money, get brembo stock blanks, a good set of pads, and change your brake fluid. If you're hellbent on slotted/drilled, go with slotted. My friend who bought a car with drilled (mind you just a daily driver, not some race car--besides the big turbo :P ) has all his rotors showing small cracks around the holes. Just my .02

Alex

HondaBoy
06-10-2004, 08:15 PM
would you be able to get a pic of your friends rotors? that would be interesting to see what the cracks look like. are they very fine cracks that arent noticeable until close up inspection? i'd think just slotted are good to go. that is if i can find some reasonablely priced. i dont know, i can get a good pair of stock oem type rotors for about $20 from a local supplier. but i guess because they dont have a zinc coating they arent as much? i would think that zinc coating would eventually be worn off. is that true, i dont think its more than a zinc plating process. and yeah, i guess im hell bent on getting slotted rotors :lol:. i would probley be looking at ceramic pads too instead of metalic type. guess what i get depends on what is available.

Nate2310
06-10-2004, 08:29 PM
I have slotted rotors and aem pads and I could really feel the difference, I think the rotors were well worth it

HondaBoy
06-10-2004, 11:31 PM
if you dont mind, how much were they and where'd you get them? online i hope. did you install them youself? got any pix of them?

Busted_Blue
06-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Friend paid lots for powerslot rotors..and on his mountain runs in his MR2 the rotors will glow within 5minutes. He got some cheap Ebay Slotted/drilled ones and they last him the whole mountain. Mind you he has metallic brake pads and does alot of mountain runs.

if you really want blanks..

http://www.importrp.com/catalogm.php?man=8&type=71&year=20&year_name=1989

HondaBoy
06-11-2004, 10:44 PM
i see they have the slotted for only $135.49. with shipping i'd guess about $170 or so. thats more like it. but those are for 88-89 which i think are different diameter than my 87 sedan. they have the oem vented disks too, i can get them for cheaper than that, but i'm not looking for oem.

Busted_Blue
06-11-2004, 10:51 PM
where can you get cheaper? do tell, i need a set for my rears. :D

as far as shipping for me from them it is 12bucks UPS ground for slotted when I last checked.

HondaBoy
06-11-2004, 11:04 PM
they wont be brembo brand i dont think, but i can get them for right about $20 a piece at O'reilly auto parts, thats with tax. so you dont have to add the shipping costs in. i'll have to look at them and see what brand they are. they werent some knock off brand i know that. i hope your saying you want oem ones, because finding upgraded type are hard to find for very cheap. i'll look and see if i can find replacements for the SE-i rears.

Busted_Blue
06-11-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm definitely looking for OEM replacement, I might not want new rotors as of yet, I'm trying to minimize the cost of the swap. As far as i know the rotors on the car are fairly new (.38in thick) and the pads are barely even used. I'm going to rebuild the caliper and check if the wheel bearing needs to be replaced. My guess is the rotors are still good but you never know. I'm just looking into OEM replacement in case I need to so I don't have to search later on.

As far as your concerned of them being overpriced, I think it seems worth it to get the Slotted brembos for $135+shipping. Shame its for 88-89 lxi/sei only.

HondaBoy
06-11-2004, 11:26 PM
they must make them for the smaller ones, is it 84-87? i think some of those may have been the same, im not completely sure............. ok, i thought it was O'reilly's, but i must have been Napa! that had to be it because my friend used to work there and we looked em up. anyway, this should be the correct one, its $16.99 at your Napa store. i believe the fronts are about $23. those prices are unadjusted by tax. those are solid disks right? probley just like on my '02 accord.
Rear Rotors (http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=23405926&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=87817906)

Nate2310
06-14-2004, 08:05 AM
I got mine from jcwhitney and my pads from nopi and yeah i installed myself it's really simple

Project-LXi
06-14-2004, 02:55 PM
I ordered slotted rotors for all 4 wheels, but the NOPI Powerslot fronts were the wrong bolt pattern: 4x114. The rears worked fine however.

crwa
06-14-2004, 03:01 PM
I picked up Brembo slotted rotors for $140, and the pads were free, a mechanic friend of my dad's got them, but they arn't the greatest pads, but for around town they work fine... When I did street rally when I first got them they would heat up super quick and i wouldn't be able to stop but thats becuase I was on and off them all the time and would go from 70 to 20 very quickly to make curves, but a dude that was also doing it was having the same problem with his stock civic rotors...

Busted_Blue
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
crwa, i think it was the pads that were messing you up. Get some better pads and you are good to go.

MarioBurke
06-14-2004, 05:16 PM
I just upgraded from the Stock DX to the Lx-i Brembo slotted Rotors and Full Metallic brake pads and although it is pricey it is definately worth all the money. I do a lot of back road crazy driving. One particular road is about a 20 mile stretch of 20-90 mph straights and bends. i never get brake fade. in fact with the rotors, I actually locked the tires for the first time by accident.

and for the record Drilled rotors are not better than the slotted. the cadnium plated slotted rotors dont warp, drilled rotors still warp and usually dont provide as much stopping power.

Busted_Blue
06-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I just upgraded from the Stock DX to the Lx-i Brembo slotted Rotors and Full Metallic brake pads and although it is pricey it is definately worth all the money. I do a lot of back road crazy driving. One particular road is about a 20 mile stretch of 20-90 mph straights and bends. i never get brake fade. in fact with the rotors, I actually locked the tires for the first time by accident.

and for the record Drilled rotors are not better than the slotted. the cadnium plated slotted rotors dont warp, drilled rotors still warp and usually dont provide as much stopping power.

are there cadnium plated oem style rotors? that would be interesting for me :D

Nate2310
06-15-2004, 07:45 AM
yeah slotted rotors are better because they have more braking surface than drilled rotors

Defiant[YD]
06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
i have a pair of ractive slotted and crossdrilled rotors for my civic which cost me $175 canadian. bought it from KS Racing in calgary. got it since my fronts are warped pretty damn bad.