PDA

View Full Version : Carb Vs EFI

onemanlan
06-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Since I'm thinking about getting a 3G I'd like to know the pros and cons of Carbs vs EFI. I know the principals and basics behind each. Pretty much all I have been looking for is a 3G LX-i, and it really has narrowed my search. A few thing's I'd like is your opinions on each and tuning with each. And how hard, and expensive, would a EFI conversion be on a carb'ed 3G?

Thanks much.

k-roy
06-09-2004, 02:46 PM
I have a carb and I have driven and worked on both. I say go with EFI for daily reliability. The stock 3G carb is fairly reliable, it just sucks for performance.
An EFI conversion is possible, its a lot of freakin work though. Check the howto section off the main page for a great article by Carotman.
When it comes to all out performance I gotta say carbs all the way. Duel Weber DCOEs on a DX will whail over a LXi.
Tuning a stock carb is easy, it take a screwdriver and a good ear. Tuning a PGMFI Honda is a little more tricky.

Bloodlust
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
I would say go with an EFI. Overall its just better.

BKKloppenborg
06-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Here are some links on how to convert from carb to EFI

http://89accord.netfirms.com/eficonversion.htm

http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm

onemanlan
06-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Here are some links on how to convert from carb to EFI

http://89accord.netfirms.com/eficonversion.htm

http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm

Thanks a lot, both of you. I think I'll just continue on my quest for an already injected model.

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 03:46 PM
nother con of a carb is morning or cold starts. letting it warm up till it's idle settles down can be a pain in the ass sometimes. i'd rather hav e the FI engine for a number of reasons. its very humid here where i live and with humid air, the carb doesnt like it. although to me, a carbed engine is a bit easier to work on. with 3geez memeber Sean's performance parts, we have more hope to getting the most out of our cars. 3rd gen accords are know for their reliability characteristics.

onemanlan
06-09-2004, 03:48 PM
nother con of a carb is morning or cold starts. letting it warm up till it's idle settles down can be a pain in the ass sometimes. i'd rather hav e the FI engine for a number of reasons. its very humid here where i live and with humid air, the carb doesnt like it. although to me, a carbed engine is a bit easier to work on. with 3geez memeber Sean's performance parts, we have more hope to getting the most out of our cars. 3rd gen accords are know for their reliability characteristics.

Sooo... Humidity and Cold isn't good for carbs? I figured cold would be good because air is more dense and compressed therefore more air would get mixed with your fuel... maybe I'm thinking of intakes. Oh well, that pretty much rules out carbs for me. When its not humid here(which is is constantly, especially right now GRRRR!), its cold. 8 (

k-roy
06-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Yea warming up the carb is kinda annoying. But its good to let the entire engine warm up. I know people with fuel injection that hop in and tear ass without warming it up, of course my car has outlasted them all. Hahahaha.

HondaBoy
06-09-2004, 06:24 PM
thats true with any car. you should let the engine warm up for a few minutes at least. and after first starting it when you start driving, go easy on it until its warmed up good. you can usually tell when that is because you'll notice its got more power. humidity really sux, even with a FI engine, but more so on the carb engines. well the cooler the air the better for my carb, but its usuall the humidity that kills the power. i can tell a difference during the hot day driving it and at night. more power at night definately. better gas mileage too.

Civvy
06-10-2004, 01:57 AM
I'll go with the Webers! over and over!

yes, of course F.I. is smoother and more economical :barf: but the end of the day u got a robot controling your engine and when it goes wrong or u want to tune it, it costs big bucks! :burn: :pc:

Carbs on the other hand are far less complicated, cheaper to buy and easy to pin point problems!

Not forgetting a brand new pair of Webers are the latest in carb technology. The old honda PGM-FI has since had years of improvement!

Raw power less money! :rockon:

onemanlan
06-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Can any one care to explain webers to me? I know they will fail you on a visual inspection for emissions, but there are no emissions where I'm at.

I'm still probably going EFI though.