PDA

View Full Version : found an exelant vynal/pastic paint.

pixiesfan78
06-09-2004, 09:23 PM
thought everyone who dosnt know about this stuff would like it. its called molecubond it literally soaks in to plastic and vynal and bonds on a molecular leval.the only prep need is to clean your surface well with rubbing alchohol to get off any armourall or oils.and it drys in 15 minutes flat. it also coats very evenly unlike most spraypaint so it looks like a factory finish i was amazed at how much it doesnt look like paint.i got it at wally world for 6 .50 a can its not cheap but well worth it if your considering painting your dash or anything like that. :rockon:

pimp86LX
06-09-2004, 09:33 PM
it sounds like a knock off of that krylon fusion stuff.

if it works though, good shit :rockon: mabe i can finally get rid of my 'lude's gross Tan interior

Moodybluesr
06-10-2004, 02:47 AM
I used it on my Civic's armrest about a year ago and it still looks good. It has been around for quite a while; used to be advertised on TV. I think Krylon Fusion is actually a knock-off of it. I would definately have to recommend it.

soljaboy2000
06-10-2004, 03:07 AM
cool imma check that stuff out....
oh by the way...nice signature Moodybluesr.... LOL

Justin86
06-10-2004, 09:18 AM
hum I don't remember seeing that stuff berfore, but I'll give it a try. I used fusion before and it sucks ass on Vinnal, it will fade after a month and will rub off after awhile too.

pimp86LX
06-10-2004, 09:45 AM
hum I don't remember seeing that stuff berfore, but I'll give it a try. I used fusion before and it sucks ass on Vinnal, it will fade after a month and will rub off after awhile too.

:dunno: I've used krylon fusion on my old armrest in the hyundai and it looked great. ...did you clean the surface good and all that junk?

pixiesfan78
06-10-2004, 07:09 PM
im useing the fusion for plastic and molecubond for vinal it looks like a vinal finish unlike the fusion wich is more of a spraypaint this stuff doesnt even smell like spraypaint but be warned i tried it on the pasengers viser mirrorthe plastic part and it didnt stick luckily it came off easy but the visors look exelant this stuff really looks like a factory finish. and it does not look like its gonna come off or anything. im kinda confused about the mirror because i used it on the ash tray lid and it bonded like a mofo you cant even dent it with your fingernail or anything.no mater what kind of paint you use theres no excuse for shoty prep work the finish can only be as good as the surface you spray. bottom line after using it more today is its perfect for vinal but im iffy about certain plastics but im 100% sure it will bond to the textured plastic dash pieces.i dont think it will work on like the vents climate controls ignition lock cover ect.ha ha my visors look new. black intierior is so pimp on a white car.i cant wait ot get a new headliner and carpet.but i should tackle the dash with this molecubond first. oh yeah i wanted to ask if anyone has painted their dash and did they remove the whole thing or just the easy pieces? it seems to me like it would be easier to tape off everthing and remove all lower dash pieces then to take out the dash.any expierinced dash people out there?

HondaBoy
06-10-2004, 09:05 PM
next time im over at wal-mart, i'll have to take at look at their paints. i never really look at their paints except for model paint. i'll probley find something interesting i didnt know they had. i've used krylon fusion on my hard plastic interior pieces. doesnt fade, has only chipped on the door handle things. i can fix that pretty easily though. i used duplicolor vinal/fabric dye paint on my fabric, vinal and softer rubber interior pieces. tell us how that paint holds up for you.

Justin86
06-11-2004, 04:40 PM
from what I have used fusion, it will sun fade really fast on the vinal stuff and is slower on the plastic but it DOES fade over time.
I went to Wally world and they didn't have the stuff and never heard of it, I need another place to find it.
You would be better off removing the dash, it's not hard if you know what you are doing.

pixiesfan78
06-11-2004, 10:02 PM
cool i really need to think this dash thing through and get my edumacation on removing it and finishing it.do it once do right .i just installed the visors back in so it will be a while before i can say it holds up well. oh yeah i found the paint in the automotive section at wall mart not in the seperate spraypaint section.of course im on the eastcoast other western wallmarts may have a total different product inventory then here. the food brands up here are downright freaky. anyways you know it has dawned on me that my accord is auto and will never be very fast but just the body style alone is enough to make me plan an elaborate intierior/extieror modification. the bich is down right sexy! with some candy paint rims and a clean modified intierior your sure to turn some heads.dont get me wrong i intend to make it a tough daily driver as far as susspension and and a little engine upgrading you know performance internals'igniton upgrade' port and polish' header back exaust'pgmfi upgrade (for me anyway son of a bitch) i dont race no need for turbo. and could never hope to own most of the little imports on the streets today. i geuss what im sayin is im concentrating on bling factor not speed. when i want a fast car ill get v6 accord coup or a wrx somthin like that. the fact is fo the money it would cost me to be able to keep the taillights of wrx in view for a a couple minutes i can have a audio video accesory beast hence the reason i went with audiobahn amps and subs the ones with cromed out flames. the sound qualiy is not like highend jl stuff or anything but hey if some one flips down my seat or opens the trunk there gonna be like what the fuck. i wont have to even open the hood.:rice:

HondaBoy
06-11-2004, 10:51 PM
i havent had any fading yet on the stuff i painted with the fusion. some of the stuff has been painted longer. i have not tint and live in south texas where sun is your enemy. lol. i'd wonder how the duplicolor dye would do on the dash. its vinal and doesnt take the fusion good at all. it doesnt seem to dry, it'll stay sticky and scrape off easy. the vinal on the seat backs hasnt faded with the duplicolor, its been done for a while. i should really get to doing the dash because the ugly brown doesnt go good with my red and black. just need a free day when i dont have anyone to bother me. lol.

HaccordR89
06-12-2004, 12:31 PM
im useing the fusion for plastic and molecubond for vinal it looks like a vinal finish unlike the fusion wich is more of a spraypaint this stuff doesnt even smell like spraypaint but be warned i tried it on the pasengers viser mirrorthe plastic part and it didnt stick luckily it came off easy but the visors look exelant this stuff really looks like a factory finish. and it does not look like its gonna come off or anything. im kinda confused about the mirror because i used it on the ash tray lid and it bonded like a mofo you cant even dent it with your fingernail or anything.no mater what kind of paint you use theres no excuse for shoty prep work the finish can only be as good as the surface you spray. bottom line after using it more today is its perfect for vinal but im iffy about certain plastics but im 100% sure it will bond to the textured plastic dash pieces.i dont think it will work on like the vents climate controls ignition lock cover ect.ha ha my visors look new. black intierior is so pimp on a white car.i cant wait ot get a new headliner and carpet.but i should tackle the dash with this molecubond first. oh yeah i wanted to ask if anyone has painted their dash and did they remove the whole thing or just the easy pieces? it seems to me like it would be easier to tape off everthing and remove all lower dash pieces then to take out the dash.any expierinced dash people out there?

when i painted my dash i didn't remove anything, i just used newpaper and tape and it came out awesome...but if you want to remove shit it's probably the better way to go

Justin86
06-12-2004, 03:37 PM
yea I looked in the paint section, I'll have to try the auto section, maybe.

pixiesfan78
06-13-2004, 07:41 PM
i did my ebrake handel with the molecubond today i love this stuff but damn im gonna need like at least six cans to do the dash thats like 35 40 bucks oh well what am i bitching about so its the most expensive spraypaint ive ever bought its well worth it to get rid of that ugly brown intierior. door panels next.if any body tries this stuff let us know what you think also if anybody knows of any other quality intierior paints (other then fusion) post yor results and tell us what you did with it. holla.

Justin86
06-14-2004, 01:06 PM
so this stuff was with all the other auto paints and stuff. I just have no luck, I'll have to try in another town to see if they have it.

pixiesfan78
06-14-2004, 07:32 PM
yup right next to the vinal/fabric paint that most stores carry like i said though it may be an east coast only thing.today i scored an sei armrest wich is awsome but lame because i had already done tons of work on the old one oh well its worth it. so now i got the full option with the tape holder customized into an eq holder and sei armrest.plus i got an 88/89 bumper to go on my 87.i paid 25 bucks at the j/y they gave me the armrest for free. the bumper was descent with both clear lights intact. the arm rest has one small rip and a few little cracks on the vynal. time to test out my vynal repair kit then it will get the molecubond.of course this means much more sanding to get the texturing off and smooth the new armrest part sumbich. my damn console has been out of my car for 2 weeks anyone who plans on doing intierior work and never done it before be prepaired for time consumption this is really my first attempt at redoing an entire intierior scheme ive been through six cars and ive always done a little somthing but im going all out with this pos.besides its enjoyable right right.

pixiesfan78
06-15-2004, 06:37 PM
warning do not use molecubond on any plastic at all the stuff peels right off is good for vynal only. man im so annoyed right now. i got so sick of sanding that i scrapped it alltogether and went and got a new front console piece (the part with the antenna switch) then i cleaned it good and tryed the molecubond it sucked balls.you touch it and it just peels off. i was so pissed because ive been fucking with this thing for three weeks almost i just said fuck it and sprayed over it with krylon fusion ill worry about it later when it starts to look bad. ill get a paint stripper and redo the damn thing again.so to finish out this thread molecubond is an exelant vinal paint but no good for plastic.:burn:

Justin86
06-15-2004, 09:14 PM
You might want to use a good clear coat to help seal everything. That would help against the cracking, peeling, etc. Well if it is a east coast think you might have to hook me up UPS style. I still to need to hit up the towns to see what they got.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 08:35 AM
well...i can't find molecubond at my wally world so I did a test patch on the doors to see just how well it will stick.

So...the consesus is that Krylon WILL stick to vynal but fades quickly? Im pretty tempted to just do it all with krylon and worry about it later. But then i get to thinking that i might regret it later.

Justin86
06-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Yea the fusion will not stay on the vinal. After a month it began to fade and on places of high use, like e-brake, etc, it will rub off really fast, as in a week and that was with clear coat on it also.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Well I just came back from the hardware store and i found some spray paint for Automotive Vinyl applications. It has a big picture of a vinal seat and center console on it. So i did a test patch of that right above the krylon. hmmmm we shall see how this goes.

p.s. The krylon remains tacky and will not dry

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT USE KRYLON FUSION ON VINYL...it sucks.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Here are the results

Krylon on plastic = Sex-ellent
Krylon on vinyl = BOO URNS

some pics: Krylon is the bottom test patch and the Vinyl stuff on top. THe krylon is still tacky and the vinyl stuff is dried, flexible and i can't even nick it with my nails.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627138_20_full.jpg

Krylon With my big thumb print in it http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627138_21_full.jpg

The Paints I'm going to use to complete the project. http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627138_22_full.jpg

customandsound
06-19-2004, 10:45 AM
you want to use dupli color vinyl paint /dye

pixiesfan78
06-19-2004, 04:58 PM
yeah dont use fusion on vynal use molecubond or duplicoler vinal/fabric paint im still wondering if there is anything else to use on plastic that will bond like crazy and never come off i already have to strip my console down because molecubond did not and will not bond to plastic. so if any body knows of a qualiity plastic finish without having to fiberglass the piece let us all know. what do the pros use? i want a clean perfect in tierior meanwhile the paint can fall off the outside of the car.

bullard123
06-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Yeah I just redid my hole interior (finished my trunk up today) and it looks really nice. Can't wait to to post the pics of it. I used duplicolor interior and krylon fusion. I sprayed my dash with duplicolor and it bonded really well. I used that krylon fusion on my armrest and some other parts of my interior and I didn't like the way it bonded. It was just like that picture that was posted by pimp86lx it just rubbed right off when you touch it. It takes a long time to dry too. Man it took at least four days for it to stop sticking to my shirt everytime I touched it. But it gets better after its fully dried.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 09:18 PM
What colour is it now?

yah post pics! I have some new pics of a door panel i did with this "u-fix-it" interior vinyl paint. Ill post asap. It looks ok but definitly needs a new coat. The flash of my digi-cam revieled how uneven it was. Its crazy cause i cant see it but the camera can pick it up. :-S

bullard123
06-20-2004, 07:40 AM
What colour is it now?

yah post pics! I have some new pics of a door panel i did with this "u-fix-it" interior vinyl paint. Ill post asap. It looks ok but definitly needs a new coat. The flash of my digi-cam revieled how uneven it was. Its crazy cause i cant see it but the camera can pick it up. :-S

It went from that ugly burgandy to black and grey. It took about a month on and off to complete it, but its all worth it when you see the results! I even found some carbon fiber floor mats at Walmart to match it. Pics of it to come soon.

pimp86LX
06-20-2004, 08:25 AM
hmm black n' grey.. i definitly want to see it! Im going for all black in the 'lude but im open to suggestions for accenting. I noticed something kinda neat today. In the sun...my newly black door panel doesn't get any hotter than the other tan door.

My logic tells me black absorbs more of the visible light spectrum turning more energy into heat..but....its not any hotter?!?! :S

just a thought

buzzbomber88lx
06-20-2004, 10:46 AM
I used it on my Civic's armrest about a year ago and it still looks good. It has been around for quite a while; used to be advertised on TV. I think Krylon Fusion is actually a knock-off of it. I would definately have to recommend it.
fusion looks fake.....i dont like it at all

HondaBoy
06-20-2004, 12:48 PM
for the duplicolor vinal dye or any paint specific to vinal, i'd reccomend putting a clear coat on top. i've found that vinal dye's usually wear off fairly easily unprotected. as for the fusion, i would say using a clear coat would be a good idea, but isnt as needed. it holds up better, works best on hard plastics, and really shitty on soft rubber or vinal. i'm getting ready to do my dash to match all the other recolored parts in my interior. i dont want to do it the ghetto way my friends have done their's. they will usually not even take the dash out, leaving over spray everywhere inside, like glass, seats, other trim. i plan to use the duplicolor vinal dye on the top vinal part and krylon fusion on the bottom hard plastic as well as the gauge pod thing that is hard plastic. i should use some clear coat because it will be a place where people will be touching it often. clear coat is good because it doesnt let skin oils get into the painted surface discoloring it or wearing it away.

pimp86LX
06-20-2004, 02:51 PM
for the duplicolor vinal dye or any paint specific to vinal, i'd reccomend putting a clear coat on top. i've found that vinal dye's usually wear off fairly easily unprotected. as for the fusion, i would say using a clear coat would be a good idea, but isnt as needed. it holds up better, works best on hard plastics, and really shitty on soft rubber or vinal. i'm getting ready to do my dash to match all the other recolored parts in my interior. i dont want to do it the ghetto way my friends have done their's. they will usually not even take the dash out, leaving over spray everywhere inside, like glass, seats, other trim. i plan to use the duplicolor vinal dye on the top vinal part and krylon fusion on the bottom hard plastic as well as the gauge pod thing that is hard plastic. i should use some clear coat because it will be a place where people will be touching it often. clear coat is good because it doesnt let skin oils get into the painted surface discoloring it or wearing it away.

Thats what i noticed with my vinyl. So is clear coat simply labeled "Clear Coat" ? cause i see stuff like Acrylic Sealer, or Enamel Clear or stuff.

HondaBoy
06-20-2004, 03:54 PM
you know, i'll have to check. one of my friends used some vinal paint on his vinal and clear coated it. it wont rub off at all and has dried well. i'll ask him what clear he used. i believe it may have been just regular kind. i'll probley try some different things on some test vinal to get the best results.

DNMPro
06-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone, first post, I've been lurking for a while though. I have 10 years background in auto renovation and detailing, I now run a private renovation business, but still I am really surprised at the stuff I read on here about what y'all use for your cars. Here's a suggestion,
http://www.prowax.com/dyes.shtml
Why not use what the Pro's do? Check it out! Spray paint from a hardware store? C'mon, make it look good! Scuff it lightly before with either a Norton or a 3M scuff pad and spray it on. That easy. I think the price isn't that bad either. Their other products are spectacular and I think really reasonable compared to the crap load of stuff you find a Shucks or Krager or whatever they are. There are a couple other companies I could suggest, 'Pro' distriubtes online and for personal use so I'd think that they'd be best for this application, and for car care in general.

Justin86
06-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Damn I still can't find this stuff, someone needs to hook me up........
Yea when I used the fusion it took about a month before it stopped being sticky, but by then the paint started to fade and wear off.
I have seen that dupli color vinyl paint /dye stuff but I haven't seen it in Navy Blue, just tan and black shades.

DNMPro
06-21-2004, 06:43 AM

bullard123
06-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey everyone, first post, I've been lurking for a while though. I have 10 years background in auto renovation and detailing, I now run a private renovation business, but still I am really surprised at the stuff I read on here about what y'all use for your cars. Here's a suggestion,
Why not use what the Pro's do? Check it out! Spray paint from a hardware store? C'mon, make it look good! Scuff it lightly before with either a Norton or a 3M scuff pad and spray it on. That easy. I think the price isn't that bad either. Their other products are spectacular and I think really reasonable compared to the crap load of stuff you find a Shucks or Krager or whatever they are. There are a couple other companies I could suggest, 'Pro' distriubtes online and for personal use so I'd think that they'd be best for this application, and for car care in general.

Congratulations on your first post man, we're glad to have you abroad. Hope you are able to bring a lot of good input to the board. You have to post pics of your ride soon so we can check it out!

Justin86
06-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Well that site still dosen't help I need Navy Blue which they don't offer.

DNMPro
06-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Navy blue? These aren't pants from the Sears catalog. Blend the colors, but a solid darker base down, scuff, hit it with a lighter blue, then clear it. If you buy anything that is "Navy Blue" you'll get what you pay for.
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing half-assed." -Homer Simpson

DNMPro
06-21-2004, 10:12 PM
BTW, Thanks for the welcome Bullard! I'm not much help under the hood, but anything related to appearance, I'm you man! I've grown up around cars, grandpa owned a dealership, dad took it over, I've got a mostly stock Lx-i (for now) which I bought new, so she's really special to me. Sorry about the sharp tone in the previous post, but I get really upset when I see some cars that are just shot with Krylon, I mean, c'mon....take the time and and make it look nice. Its YOUR car!!!

sporkHSP
06-21-2004, 10:31 PM
have you used it before, if so, how long to dry, and does it work on hard plastic surfaces in addition to vinyl?
and welcome to 3geez man.

DNMPro
06-21-2004, 10:38 PM
http://prowax.com/1pdf/AVCBrochure7_11_03.pdf

have you used it before, if so, how long to dry, and does it work on hard plastic surfaces in addition to vinyl?
and welcome to 3geez man.

Easy, supposedly (according to Buford), it takes minutes, but my crew and I give it a good hour to set up before we move any further. It works great on hard plastic surfaces as well as vinyl. Like I said earlier, why not use what the Pros do. Leave the hardware aisles behind, get into the real game. I know it sounds like I'm constantly plugging this brand, but its this particular item that is exceptionally good. I use a 3 different compaines to supply my business, but I've found that this particular item, far surpasses anything you could ever find at Ace or Home Depot.

sporkHSP
06-21-2004, 10:47 PM
http://prowax.com/1pdf/AVCBrochure7_11_03.pdf
Easy, supposedly (according to Buford), it takes minutes, but my crew and I give it a good hour to set up before we move any further. It works great on hard plastic surfaces as well as vinyl. Like I said earlier, why not use what the Pros do. Leave the hardware aisles behind, get into the real game. I know it sounds like I'm constantly plugging this brand, but its this particular item that is exceptionally good. I use a 3 different compaines to supply my business, but I've found that this particular item, far surpasses anything you could ever find at Ace or Home Depot.
thanks man, if i do my vinyl and stuff i will definatly buy a few cans of this stuff... thanks for the tip

DNMPro
06-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Gladly, I've been lurking and reading about "no-touch' this and "canola oil that" and ready to pull my hair out over this stuff! When I met with my distributor the other day, he was talking about how their online business has really taken off, and then it all hit me, wow, if you want to do it right, and really make it look great, then just F8**ing do it! Its good stuff!

pimp86LX
06-21-2004, 10:52 PM
BTW, Thanks for the welcome Bullard! I'm not much help under the hood, but anything related to appearance, I'm you man! I've grown up around cars, grandpa owned a dealership, dad took it over, I've got a mostly stock Lx-i (for now) which I bought new, so she's really special to me. Sorry about the sharp tone in the previous post, but I get really upset when I see some cars that are just shot with Krylon, I mean, c'mon....take the time and and make it look nice. Its YOUR car!!!

seriously whats wrong with krylon? Its the best paint i've ever seen for hard plastic.

Justin86
06-22-2004, 11:40 AM
LOL, fuck Sears I only go there for tools. Well I'm the oppsite of you it seems like I spend all my time under the hood and you know apperance/paint stuff. So if they don't have the color I want I need to try and blend different colors to get close to what I want. sounds doable? So about how much can one can cover, like take 6 cans for the doors and dash?

pixiesfan78
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
see now thats the answer i was looking for i want to use what the pros use for my plastic.molecubond works great for vinal but the fusion does look fake on plastic.thanks for the link man and chill out dude if you think what we do to our intierior is bad you should see the guys coffee can hoodscoop.

DNMPro
06-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Justin86, to be honest with you, I'm not sure. I use the Car Pro every other day, but I've never used it for a whole dash like your plans. I mostly use it for resortation, damaged spots, etc. I wish I could say, but I'd feel bad if I ventured and it came up less, you know what I'm saying? All I can say is that it is high quality and if you can reach a PRO Distributor in your area (they have always been great dealing with people buying for Personal use) he could maybe answer your questions a bit more. As far as the blend, give it a whirl, but you are dealing with aerosols, which aren't always really friendly when it comes to custom blending as I'm sure we all know!

pixiesfan78
06-23-2004, 09:48 PM
so wait a minute i need to be sure what your saying dnm.is this stuff for restoration only? most of us are entirely changing the color of our dash and other stuff. im going black wich is not to hard. so what do you guys do to completly change a dash color? i will consider recovering dash with vinal but if there is an easier solution im game.any tips you can give us dnm would be very helpfull. laters man.

DNMPro
06-24-2004, 06:54 AM
No, it'll work for your application, I was saying that I only use it for restoration, it will work, I've just never used in that manner. Sorry for the confusion.

Justin86
06-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Yea there might be some shops that use this stuff but no stores I have seen stock this stuff. As for this molecubond I have checked everywhere in Southern Oregon and no one has heard of it. How big is a can of this and how much is it?

DNMPro
06-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I'd just order it from the link I threw up there. They sell single cans, and you'll have it in a couple days. 6.25 a can, or they sell it by cases of 6 or 12 (I think, end of a hot day and I can't remember) for around 60 bucks. Maybe if a couple people wanted to go in together it'd be a good way to save some money.

Justin86
06-25-2004, 09:32 AM
well for $60 it better be at least 10 cans, anything less your not getting your moneys worth.

DNMPro
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Haha, depends on what you want. I want nothing more than the best. When I had my Chevy truck painted, I took it to my dad's shop, he charged me a little over 3 grand for the entire truck, everyone was like, why didn't you go to Maaco and save 3 grand. Simple, quality. I wouldn't use a crappy product, its just cheating yourself.