PDA

View Full Version : Please: Need Help FAST....

markmdz89hatch
06-10-2004, 04:40 AM
This morning when I left for work, I started the car, backed out of the driveway and tried to go up the street. When I step on the gas, the revs go up for a split-second, then the car bogs down almost to the point of stalling. I has no go what-so-ever. I tried coasting down the street in neutral, and rev'd the shit out of it a bunch of times (thinking maybe there was just some junk that I needed to burn out), but still no luck.

Even in park at idle, when I step on the gas, the revs go up, but if I try to hold it at a let's say 2Grand, I'll get to 2Grand and then the revs just fall like a rock after about a second.

I have no idea what this could be. I already took off the lid and shot the carb with carb cleaner, but I think this is a bigger issue. I think my carb (or at least my primary) may be shot. Any tests, suggestions, anyone else having this trouble?

Please help ASAP because I still have to get to work, and this is the only car I have right now, so I NEED this to work.

If anyone is willing to just bypass posting on this thread, and can just call me, PLEASE do so.

-Mark

Alex, or Mike, where the hell are you.....??

markmdz89hatch
06-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Oh, but it idles just fine once it's warm. However, sometimes, when it's been sitting for a while (days) it does spit and sputter and idle weird until it warms up, but once it's warm it idles, and runs perfect.

Vinny
06-10-2004, 04:51 AM
SO I take it you are heading off to work? Choke problem maybe? Or is it running like ass even after its warmed up? I was just about to call ya til I saw that its getting better, or is it

markmdz89hatch
06-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Oh no it's not getting better, that's just a little more details for those that are good at troubleshooting our carbs.

It still has the same problem warm or stone cold. It's been idling now for about 45 minutes and just before posting this, I went out and tried to hold an rpm and it did the same thing. Just bogged out until it stalled.

smufguy
06-10-2004, 04:56 AM
mark, did u drive ur car without warming up???? from what u said in the first post, seems like u did not. u know carbs die on u if u dont warm up before driving, shit does not wanna go and will die on u and wont start back up.

your gas might have high moisture content. I had this problem with cheap gas. HOw is ur filler neck? does it leak water inside? Get a bottle of gas tank treatment and pour it in. That sputtering and rough idling is cause of the carb running too rich, and it goes away once its warmed up cause its running at the happy fuel and air ratio.

smufguy
06-10-2004, 04:57 AM
ur running too rich mark. i mean tooooooooo rich. Do u see gas just pouring in ur carb????

Try adjusting ur mixture screw on the back and bump up ur idle stop screw on the side. Also add more air in by messing around with the AJC. This is the problem with carbs, its just too much shit to worry about and not a darn thing to be specific about.

Dude, do u have the air bleed valve in the air filter cover connected right? the vaccuum hoses, are they fully in. CHeck all ur vaccuum lines bro.