PDA

View Full Version : hesitation problem...

AD9SloAccrd
06-10-2004, 09:51 AM
sorry i tried to use a search thing for this but couldn't really find anything. i have a 89 accord lx. say when i am stopped, i go to get on my car really hard and all that happens is a bunch of popping sounds, it hesitates to go (misfireing i guess) then it goes. once it is moving it doesn't do it. my step-dad thought that it could be a bad air - fuel mixture, but i don't think it could be that. he said it sounds like there could be too much fuel and not enough air, but i was thinking about that and it doesn't make sense, i would think that if there was too much fuel the car would stall out. anyway what i think it could be are the spark plugs and wires. they haven't been changed in a good year and a half to two years. in that time my car had a bad thermostat and i don't know if that cooked them or what, also i had my timing belt and all that done. i don't know if any of that going bad could have affected the spark plugs or anything. any help would be much appreciated... :help:

k-roy
06-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Replace the plugs, air filer, 2 fuel filters, pcv valve, set the timing, check over all the miles of vacuum hosing for cracks or leaks. Then get a can of carb cleaner and get the inside of that sucker clean.

It could also be bad gas. What octane do you run?
Im also thinking it coud be a bad ignitor, cap and rotor or coil. Your problem is either fuel, vacuum/emissions or ignition related.

88accordalltheway
06-10-2004, 10:42 AM
do you have a carb? if you do then check under soe of my threads. I just had my carb rebuilt and it fixed it. Also talk to a guy named michael cote he knows alot about carbs as do alot of people on here. good luck with it.

AD9SloAccrd
06-10-2004, 11:50 AM
i think i am going to replace the spark plugs and wires first and see where that gets me, hopefully that may be the problem.

AD9SloAccrd
06-11-2004, 05:11 PM
alright i changed the spark plugs and wires today. the plugs were really dirty and the wires weren't much better. so after replacing the plugs and wires, the problem is fixed and the car runs great now. i'm glad that it was something inexpensive rather than a money hole. :)

BIGEEZ
06-17-2004, 06:43 AM
same thing happen to me. i change the wires. and everthing was good.

also change the gas filter its easy and good for your car.