PDA

View Full Version : grease monkey check in

86LXItooFAST4me
06-10-2004, 10:20 AM
ok, im about to pull my engine and do a bunch of thing and i just have one question. im replacing the timing belt with the kit and i know the crank notch needs to be pointing strait up and that the notches on the cam gear are to be strait across. but which way does cam notch point, up or down? and also, when I install the distributor, which direction is it supposed to point? im just double checking and i keep confusing myself. im sure ill pull the chilton out last time but isnt there two strokes in each cyl before it actually is through? so my point, is TDC always on compression turn?

Vinny
06-10-2004, 10:27 AM
You want to set the flywheel to TDC. That will set the crank gear since its keyed. The cam gear has an indicator marked "up" The marks you need to look at are the 2 marks 90 degrees offset from the upmark. Those 2 notches need to be lined up with the valve cover mating surface. Just remember you need to align the cam gear after your crank is at TDC no the other way around. As long as you make sure the flywheel is at TDC, then align the cam gear marks you should be OK. Hell with chilton's. DL the engine section on Pauls site. Info's alot better

k-roy
06-10-2004, 10:37 AM
31.4 Mb Download, even on dialup its well worth the wait.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual/62se300.pdf
Props to Paul yet again.

86LXItooFAST4me
06-10-2004, 10:44 AM
thank you fellow grease monkeys!! lol thanks dudes. ill check out the Paul guide when i get home. :cheers:

mag_pbg
06-10-2004, 08:53 PM
not to whore up this post, but I was abotu to change my timing belt and my dad is helping me except he never ever puts the motor at tdc, even when we did a change on the camry he didn't he just goes to work pulling of the crank shaft pulley nut. Everything always turns out allright, it just seems weird that everyone and every book says TDC, but he never does.

Justin86
06-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Pauls is ok but he doesn't have the 88-89 EFI stuff. Like I tell everyone, get the Honda repair manual , it has EVERYTHING, and you can get them for about $35. Mine has saved my ass before. :)

86LXItooFAST4me
06-11-2004, 06:05 AM
not to whore up this post, but I was abotu to change my timing belt and my dad is helping me except he never ever puts the motor at tdc, even when we did a change on the camry he didn't he just goes to work pulling of the crank shaft pulley nut. Everything always turns out allright, it just seems weird that everyone and every book says TDC, but he never does.

is your dad working on over head cam vehicals? thats kinda dangerous on OHCs but it can be done yes. but i have my head taken off and a colt cam installed so everything isnt in line anymore. but i have replace timing chains before without the engine at TDC but i new what i was doing.