PDA

View Full Version : i need someone to confirm it this is true

b20a86lude
06-10-2004, 10:41 AM
:help: hey well im just about to drop my accord b20a in my 86 lude si and i came across this in another i need someone with good knowledge to tell me if this is true im gettin very scared this is what he said someone confirm this
for me pleazzzzzzze i use to have the a20 from a 89 accrod if i didnt change any mounts i shouldnt have to change any mounts for the b20a and yes i have the jdm transmisson mount i got form japan thnx
:help:
If your dropping a B20A in i hope you got all the mounts with it and also a front cross member!! You'll also need to use the existing A series side mount onto the B20A otherwise that won't fit too!! Also how you gonna get round the hood problem? B20A hood needs some work to fit as the front half of the chassis is completely different!! Need to swap the hood hinges for BA2 ones and re-drill the holes and bolt it up in a new position. Just done a B20A swap into a carbed lude wasn't a hard job as we had a BA2 chassis and engine donor but without that i wouldn't have liked to have even thought about trying it!!

NXRacer
06-10-2004, 12:46 PM
as far as i know ( and i've done quite a bit of research) the B20 is a direct bolt in as long as you have the tranny mount.

k-roy
06-10-2004, 01:01 PM
The thing that makes me think is the axles. The prelude with the A20 uses differant axles. Does the B20A use A20 Axles? If yes then there should not be a problem.

Gregg86DX
06-10-2004, 02:21 PM
I saw this post on PreludePower too. rjudgey posted it and he is on this board too, you may want to PM him. If you had an A20 in your car, I can't imagine it being that hard to swap. The B20A drops directly in place of the A20 in an Accord, so there really can't be much difference. The A20 axles work on the B20A, so that should not be a problem. The hood issue is one thing that has me concerned, I found pictures of an 86 B20A 'lude and it has a bulge over the timing cover.

Good luck,
Gregg

RobT5580
06-10-2004, 03:45 PM
I dont see the hood being a problem in the accord as there are a handful of running B20A's and none of them seem to have a problem.

Magny
06-10-2004, 08:29 PM
so wait a minute, if the A20 axels work on the B20 wont it work vice versa, B20 to A20??? if it does, I got an idea LOL

Gregg86DX
06-10-2004, 08:50 PM
I dont see the hood being a problem in the accord as there are a handful of running B20A's and none of them seem to have a problem.

Absolutely true! but he is talking about a Prelude ;)

thegreatdane
06-11-2004, 03:12 AM
I read something on a lude forum too about the front crossmember needing to be changed on ludes when dropping in B20.

Civvy
06-11-2004, 03:45 AM
I've literally just done the swap! if u need any help feel free to pm me! :welcome: To do the swap u need to change the front cross member, it does NOT bolt straight up! it is a fraction out! also u need the B20 rad. the B20 rad has a different bottom hose connection thus, to clear the B20 front cross member as it sits closer to the rad. The axles on the B20 fit ure car the difference is there are 3 pieces (which is much better). Also u need the B20 radious arms and lower suspension arms, otherwise your wheels will be siting to far back in the wheel arches and putting pressure on axles etc. Also u need to change the side mount 'lug' on the block and it bolts straight up to your existing mount. Apart from that obviously the exhaust is different but, only as far as the cat i think.
Think thats everything for now anyways!

Clearance isn't a problem with the accords, as robt5580 said! The preludes have 2 differnt bonnets. 1 has the centre section lower than the sides and the other, the centre is higher (for clearance). The hump over the timing cover is just for show!

U going F.I. or Carbed?

Civvy
06-11-2004, 04:02 AM
Opps! just realised uve got a Prelude!! unfortunatly then ure going to need the SI Bonnet, Scuttle panels and airscoop. sorry!
The bonnet dosent bolt on directly neither unfortunatly! but u can easily drill some new holes and put long bolts with big washers on. no probs!
The scuttle panels and scoop are a staight fit! = for a change

U didn't say if u got the gearbox with the engine...hope u have!

It is a bigger job than most people think i reckon! yes they will bolt in but, its more complicated than it sounds! might be why there isn't a 'how to' on the forums yet, because people get stuck and give up? Also i uprated the whole brake system and changed it from auto to 5-spd all at once so its been a bit of a head ache. well worth it tho, i think - so far!

Anyways mine is finished now! i'm just waiting on a pair of Weber 45's to strap on!

thegreatdane
06-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Any pictures Civvy? :)

RobT5580
06-11-2004, 05:10 AM
Magny, The axles wont work on the accord because of the intermediate shaft. Basically its just two passenger side short axles and the intermediate shaft to take up the difference on the drivers side. But the A20A block does not have anywhere to bolt the shaft up to.

Civvy
06-11-2004, 09:43 AM
will try get some pics up. but there low res. 8 (

carotman
06-13-2004, 06:16 PM
I wonder what kind of chassis we have here... if the car already has an A20A.. I don'T see why the B20A would be problematic.

Civvy
06-14-2004, 02:30 AM
I wonder what kind of chassis we have here... if the car already has an A20A.. I don'T see why the B20A would be problematic.
Good point! i missed the part where he said he had a SI. therefore they are the same chasis code!
Should go straight in! but then he could do with upgrading his F.I. components to the B20 too!
Makes it more difficult for us trying to advise when the thread starter dissapears! :dunno:
i.e. if he has the hunp on his bonnet we know for sure its the right chasis! :sad2:

b20a86lude
06-17-2004, 10:19 AM
ok so im right here any ways im gettin a little scared i think some if u knwo what u are talking about like the people from the us and the people form the united kingdom and outside of the us dont knwo what they are talking about cause i know for sure alot of stuff is diff on the ba1 chasis but not enought for the the b20a not to drop in my chasis im pretty sure on that i do knwo that the ab chasis in other countries is alot diff therefor evertything has to be changed ova im not takin any peoples advice that did a b20a swap into a ab carbed lude swaped casue mine is a si body so i neeed a person who did it in the us thanx im lookin for hoppy someone help rob or carotman yall the experts helllllllllp

Gregg86DX
06-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to find any experts on B20A-into-a-Prelude here. All the advice we are giving is going to be from the perspective of Accord owners, and from that perspective, the B20A is a bolt-in swap for the A20. If I had a 2nd gen Prelude to study, I could probably make some educated guesses whether the motor will drop in or not.

Honestly, unless the A20 is a really tight squeeze into the Prelude, there should be no reason the B20A will not drop right in.

You are probably going to have to just give it a try and become the expert! Engine swapping is not for the feint of heart. You are in uncharted territory, but the prize is worth the effort. If you succeed, you will have a unique and superior car and the pride of knowing you built it yourself.

So let's get out there and kick some ass!!!! </coach speech>

Gregg

Civvy
06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
its a straight swap dude!
The only difference is the extra cam.

Civvy

skiingco
06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
My B20A is currently sitting in my 86 Lude Si, and with the exception of the Transmission mount firewall side, it is a direct bolt in. The black box with the vacuum lines will have to have extensions to move it to the passenger side where the BT setup has it.