PDA

View Full Version : Drive 3G or Fly? 450 miles..

jigga225
06-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Since nobody knows/cares i'm in Austin Texas for the summer. I'm on an internship wiht Motorola for 12 weeks.
I'm going home in like 2 weekends. but I dont know how i'ma get there.
I could get a plane ticket, but that'd be like $210.
I would like to take the 3G, but i dont want to put to much wear and tear on it.
here's a few specs: 215k miles
new cooling system (radiator/pump/hoses)
rebuilt carb
tranny running great/just flushed
new A/C system
new alternator

so i could do the 450 miles and back with like $50 on gas i believe.
what do you all think?

MrBen
06-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I'd take the 3g, just be easy on her.

cvergi01
06-10-2004, 12:10 PM

cvergi01
06-10-2004, 12:12 PM
:repost: damn scroll roller

I'm gonna take mine 820 miles to sacramento in august, I say drive the long haul will probably do good for the car, burning carbon in the cylinders and all.

Vinny
06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Take the 3g unless you are in a hurry to get there and get back. As long as the car is mechanically sound that would be my choice. Of course I have a fear of flying. Didn't have it until I started working heavy maintenance for most of the major airlines.......odd

deadlight
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd drive, but I'm all about the ride really. I've been to almost every state and I drove through every one, I think driving's the only way to go. Besides, it's cheaper, I'm sure your car will make it fine.

AccordEpicenter
06-10-2004, 12:35 PM
yea forget flying and stuff... just drive... 450 mi isnt that far

86LXItooFAST4me
06-10-2004, 12:39 PM
how far is it from central texas to central mich???

k-roy
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Wow that has to be at least 1,000 miles. Look it up @ mapquest.com

I say drive the bitch, thats what its for. I have taken my car 600 one way to Ohio and back 6 times this year alone. I could only imagine what that would cost in airfare. Even with todays gas prices its gonna be cheap. You can make it one way on a single tank of gas.

jigga225
06-10-2004, 01:07 PM

hell man, i dunno, go to www.mapquest.com

yeah i may take the ride. I know i can make it, i just dont wanna lose any valuable 3G-lives.
I'm used to driving 60 miles a day (city) back home during the semester, and over here i only drive 7 miles day to/from work. so i figure she'll be alright. I hear highway miles aren't that bad on the car anyway. Cruise control at about 65~70mph, cruizin

Plus I have the Legend waiting on me at home for the end of the summer, i bought it right before i left..... But 3G is still gonna be my daily driver (if everything with it stays good)

86LXItooFAST4me
06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
hell man, i dunno, go to www.mapquest.com

yeah i may take the ride. I know i can make it, i just dont wanna lose any valuable 3G-lives.
I'm used to driving 60 miles a day (city) back home during the semester, and over here i only drive 7 miles day to/from work. so i figure she'll be alright. I hear highway miles aren't that bad on the car anyway. Cruise control at about 65~70mph, cruizin

im about to take my 3G that far is why i was asking and i usually put it on cruz at 90 with my radar on and my radio down to where i can here that beep and that light go off, lol.

BlueBead
06-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Take the car man! highway miles are the best thing for the car; best milage and wear..... its city driving that's hard on the car. Just don't try to make your pistons swap holes or anything like that.... our cars are meant to cruise at lower speeds...hahah. Drive it man-thats what it is for!

DanLXI88
06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I would say drive it. If not see what kind of deal you can get in a rental car. You won't catch my ass in a plane I have never liked them even before 9-11. If I can't get there by car it's not worth going.

87accordlxph
06-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Since nobody knows/cares i'm in Austin Texas for the summer. I'm on an internship wiht Motorola for 12 weeks.
I'm going home in like 2 weekends. but I dont know how i'ma get there.
I could get a plane ticket, but that'd be like $210.
I would like to take the 3G, but i dont want to put to much wear and tear on it.
here's a few specs: 215k miles
new cooling system (radiator/pump/hoses)
rebuilt carb
tranny running great/just flushed
new A/C system
new alternator

so i could do the 450 miles and back with like $50 on gas i believe.
what do you all think?

Hey Oh!

If it was I that was going on this trip I'd definetly drive it in ma 3gee, just because it's cheaper than flying and probably safer (more reliable).

From what your current car specs are right now that's pretty darn good.
When was the last time that you did a full tune up? If not a full tune did you inspect all underhood parts just to make sure things look good under the hood? No leaks or wear and tear on belts, all hoses, check for ECU codes?
I would do a nice oil and filter change first thing for sure before anything else.

These are the kinds of things that I personally go thru before a long ass trip like I used to make from Lexington, KY to Sarnia, ON Canada and then back to the US when I used to live in KY.

If you put a lot of time into your ride it won't letcha down, trust me on that.
The 3gee IMHO is a very reliable vechicle for it's age!

P.S. Don't forget to bring a lot of Coca Cola, crank up da bass and get lots of fresh air. Helped me on my long 6-7hr straight long trips. :rockon:

Drive safely.

-Mike from P-Town!

88accordhb
06-10-2004, 07:34 PM
i'd take my bicycle with training wheels, ain't nothing like a gooooood excercise. hehe nah jk, i'd drive too, seems like your car is in decent shape and will definitely handle the 400-500 mile don't worry.

my86dx4dr
06-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Plus I have the Legend waiting on me at home for the end of the summer
gimmie one reason why i should not kill you and take that car! :burn:
rub it in, rub it in :sadwave:

HondaBoy
06-10-2004, 10:28 PM
if you got your baby runnin good, i'd say take it for a drive. you'd probley have more fun driving it and have to spend less money you can spend on yourself or the car. although, gas is gettin expensive. but, im sure you'd be happier being able to drive your car at your destination.

jigga225
06-11-2004, 10:58 AM
gimmie one reason why i should not kill you and take that car! :burn:
rub it in, rub it in :sadwave:

hahahahah man I had to buy it. I've been wanting one of those forever! I said when the right one came, i'd get it... 1995 with only 70K miles. V6, Leather, Heated seats!!! Mint!! Just awaitin on me!

Looks like I'll be taking the 3G........ baton rouge here I come

jigga225
06-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey I made it back. everything went really well.
Had to add a little oil half way, but its all good.
945 miles on the whole weekend.
436 miles on 12 gallons.. You do the math.....
Ok I'll do it.. its 36.33 mpg.
I'll never get that with the legend....

my86dx4dr
06-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey I made it back. everything went really well.
Had to add a little oil half way, but its all good.
945 miles on the whole weekend.
436 miles on 12 gallons.. You do the math.....
Ok I'll do it.. its 36.33 mpg.
I'll never get that with the legend....
sweet man, we all knew the 3g could take that,
my beater could make that, and your 3g is in much better condition :sadwave:

thats some nice gas mileage! you dont drive very hard do you?
the legend should get at best 26-30mpg on a drive like that

...... :cool:

Wood9669
06-22-2004, 05:48 PM
450? thats nothin.. iv driven from Rhode Island to Seattle WA and back 3 times (total of 18,000 miles or so).. 5 day trip tho and it was never in a 3gee

johndej
06-22-2004, 06:40 PM
hmm.... i just drove 530 miles to myrtle beach and then 530 back and it was alright, i had 2 friends w/ me so it was good to chat