PDA

View Full Version : splash guards/heatshieds?

pixiesfan78
06-10-2004, 09:22 PM
ok im dumb exactly how important are the heat shields for the front disc brakes? my pasenger side one kept on getting fucked up and scraping the rotor or somthing.so i riped it off should get another from the junk yard or take off the other one? i think it looks a lot better without it. i understand that if i drive through a deep puddle i could lose braking traction right but we dont really get huge puddles up here. is there any other reason not to remove them? :uh:

Busted_Blue
06-11-2004, 11:29 PM
ok im dumb exactly how important are the heat shields for the front disc brakes? my pasenger side one kept on getting fucked up and scraping the rotor or somthing.so i riped it off should get another from the junk yard or take off the other one? i think it looks a lot better without it. i understand that if i drive through a deep puddle i could lose braking traction right but we dont really get huge puddles up here. is there any other reason not to remove them? :uh:

more brake dust goes towards the engine bay?

Justin86
06-12-2004, 08:07 AM
yea from what I see they don't do much, as for brake dust that thing won't stop them. I pulled of my rear cover and haven't see any negative effects and the front I can't even see from the huge rotors.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-18-2004, 10:55 AM
The dust shields are meant to protect the brake components from rocks and also stop some of the brake dust from going all over the engine and chassis. Also, if you drive through a large puddle, your brakes will get wet with or without dust shields. The shields may prevent water from splashing on your rotors during high-speed driving though. To sum it up, the dust shields are not a critical part of the brake system, but they do have their small purpose. I say if yours aren't screwed up, leave them be.

My $.02

k-roy
06-18-2004, 02:20 PM
I have seen a car (not an Accord) where the brakeline actually melted without the heatshield.

AZmike
06-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Rapidly cooling a hot brake rotor with a bunch of cold water is a great way to warp it. I'd keep my splashguards on or spend a few dollars to replace them with junkyard parts if necessary.