PDA

View Full Version : 100 Watt Bulbs, Good Results

HondaBoy
06-10-2004, 10:55 PM
i had got fog lights a while back. i tried 100 watt H3 bulbs in them, but the wiring they came with couldnt handle them. i did all new wiring a few months ago. things i did was replaced the 20 gauge wire with 14 gauge throughout. i intalled a 30 amp relay, 30 amp circuit breaker( instead of a fuse). thats about it. today i got the 100 watt bulbs. i installed them and they a brighter than the 55 watt ones. the power wire nor the ground wire gets hot at all. neither does the relay or circuit breaker. only thing that gets hot is the fog light glass lense. i hope it wont crack if it gets wet while hot. i'd reccomend doing the 14 gauge wiring, 30 amp relay, and 30 amp circuit breaker if you want some powerful bright driving/fog lights. i believe i got a total of about 40 ft of wire. ending up with more than needed isnt a bad thing. here's a diagram of how to wire up the relay into the fog light's circuit.
http://www.carcentral.net/content/guides/thumbnails/WiringAFogLightRelay.gif
P.S. where it says fuse on the diagram is where the circuit breaker goes. its basically a fuse. if it heats up, it opens the circuit. when it cools back off, it will close the circuit. no need to replace it like a fuse. saves money.

BlueBead
06-10-2004, 11:05 PM
nice man, thanks for the diagram.... I'll be installing mine in a couple of weeks and this will be really useful. Now i just have to figure out what bulbs to get.....

HondaBoy
06-10-2004, 11:09 PM
i bought some regular H3 100 watt bulbs at O'reilly's. nothing fancy. although, it would be nice if they looked a bit whiter, but brightness over rules looks! i tried Eurolite ones that were purple tinted, they werent any good so i returned them.

HondaBoy
06-11-2004, 10:58 PM
these bastards are so bright. they are probley too bright. so i'm going to get upper glare shields to put over the top of the bulbs. i'll see if this mercedes still has them on its fog lights. hope that will work, i've aimed them down a bit so they dont have the horrible glare like some cars with HID's have. i think the head lights along with the 100 watt driving lights are almost as bright as some HID head lights, but they dont have the nice pure white color as HID's do. but ya know, they work good anyway. good thing is that the outer housing of the fog lights doesnt get too hot to melt anything. i should take night pix of how well they light up the ground.

AQcz
06-11-2004, 11:19 PM
I'd like to see the pics

HondaBoy
06-11-2004, 11:23 PM
yeah, i bet you would. i'll try getting some a night i have time for pix. i'll need to install the glare shield and re-aim the lights because i had to set them shining low to reduce all the glare. hope that glare shield doesnt reduce the light output on the road, that would be the last thing i want.