PDA

View Full Version : busted antenna

IN_ONE_ACCORD
06-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Ok, I just broke my antenna totally off this morning. I had it rigged since the
housing was cracked and it still worked fine. Now I have problems. Anyone ever fixed this? I have the LX model that has the retract/extend button down by the gearshift. Can a fixed antenna be put in the same place, or do I need to get a replacement type?

BlueBead
06-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Go to the wreckers and get a new extend one. I you can't find one you can always use a fixed type, but then you'll have a useless button.. that would annoy the hell out of me. You can also use the replacement style ones, but they suck ass and mostly belong on tractors

HostileJava
06-11-2004, 01:37 PM
I you can't find one you can always use a fixed type, but then you'll have a useless button..

Says you:D I'm sure I can think of some good used for an extra button. :cool:

kruddler
06-11-2004, 08:27 PM
I once attempted to fix this. I went to the junk yard and ouy of 20 accords I found a antenna that look OK. The retracter motor is located way up behind the fuse box. I had to remove this and disconnect all the connections. I unbolted the retracter motor and took it apart and detached the cable. After an 1 hour of all this bullshit I could not remove one of the two antenna mounting bolts. I went home to get my drill and drilled it out. I thought I was good to go now but the fucker would not come out. The part of the antenna that goes to the radio was caught on the frame. At this point I had spent to much time on this and just yanked it as hard as I could. The antenna cable that goes to the radio had sheared off. I realized that the dash is going to have to come out to get this out with out wrecking it. To me this is alot of work just to make it go up and down. I may give it another try this summer, but I doubt it. To much work.

BlueBead
06-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Hostile, you have a point... I've been thinking of where to mount the ignition for the prototype hidden car mount potato cannon...... hmmmmmm
now I feel an urge to shoot down the competition!.....muahahahahah
(damn I need to stay away from late nights w/ caffeine)

IN_ONE_ACCORD
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
I got it fixed somewhat, but think the extending rod is hung up in the dash.
It will go about an inch and that's it. What happend is the outside retracting housing got bent from putting my backpack/beer/girls, etc. on it, and it finally totally broke. Kinda had that rigged but the other day the plastic rod that extends broke off at the connection point. So I got a small drill bit, drilled out the plastic out of the housing, then epoxied the end of the plastic rod into the housing. I also filled the void with more epoxy to keep the outside part in place. Worked great, just don't retract since the outside housing isn't completely round and smooth. But that's ok because I only listen to the radio in the accord (no cd player). I actually have another antenna I got from a junker years ago...just don't have the time or
patience to fix it.