PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Life?

HondaBoy
06-12-2004, 12:06 AM
ok, well recently, i've been going easy on my car some what. but before that i'd usually take off hard. i've heard that that can be what will cause spark plugs to foul out faster? that true? i guess using a better oct of gas could help too. anyway, i'm wondering if hard acceleration often will wear the plugs quickly. i'm changing out the ones in my '02 accord because they are original with 20XXX miles on them. its time to change them, but i think i'll do the 3gee also while im at it. i've been putting miles on the 3gee lately. so, what's y'alls view on wear and tear of the spark plugs.

k-roy
06-12-2004, 12:09 AM
I replace mine every year no matter what, thats just cuz I am picky

Vanilla Sky
06-12-2004, 02:07 AM
mom's car has new plugs every 20K miles... mine will get them about the same rate... oh, and basic V-Power plugs are just fine

shepherd79
06-12-2004, 03:40 AM
spark plug desingned to last 30K miles. but to be sure you have good spark plugs i would replace them every 20K.
i replace my plugs every 2 oil changes.

Bloodlust
06-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Pretty general question..... Who makes the best spark plugs for our cars? Im interested in getting some new ones. Possible linkage if possible.

PortugalFocus
06-12-2004, 06:53 AM
NGK-R's are in all 3 of my cars and they idel much better than before. My Eclipse imporved tremendously from the new plugs and wires once i put them in.

k-roy
06-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Currently I am using Accel Plugs, not to shabby
Bosch Platnium are overrated and NGKs are too, minus the Iridium.

HondaBoy
06-12-2004, 10:53 PM
i know i hate bosch platinum's. they fouled out pretty good in my 3gee! they would always get wet. NGK's were great in it though. i think i'll get some for the 6gee tomorrow. i need my 5/8's plug socket that my friend hasnt give back to me. i ought to just ask him for the money to get a new one from sears! now see, thats why you dont let anyone borrow you good tools. ah, anyway, i like to change the ones in the 3gee out pretty often. probley more than needed. i think i changed em at about 98000 miles, im now at 102000 something. at least its not knocking. maybe a air filter change would help also, especially in this dusty ass air! i think the best ones are denso irridium's. there's some that will fit in my car at my friends shop.

HondaBoy
06-13-2004, 03:15 PM
got my 5/8 plug socket back from my friend. so i changed out the plugs in the '02 accord. they looked worn on the metal piece above the electrode. they looked like the ones in the 3gee after the hadnt been changed in a long time. a little oily. i replaced them with bosch platinums despite the short life in the 3gee. i had read that VTEC engines do well with them. i'll see i guess, they are what came stock in it. it definately runs smoother. like when the air conditioner is on in drive at a stop, it doesnt vibrate much like it was before. next i'll get the air filter. didnt look too bad. the inside was a different white than the outside of the filter, so there you can see the dirtyness.

HondaBoy
02-11-2005, 11:44 AM
this is an old thread but what the hell. i changed my plugs yesterday. they've lasted about 10000 miles. i didnt change them after i got the carb and other things fixed, so that could be why they were going out. they werent putting out a bad spark, but its much smoother now since i've changed them. i'm at about 112800 miles. and not to mention i sometimes run the car a little hard and use 87 octane fuel. those can also be factors i suppose. i gapped them to about .049 this time because i think my coil was burning them up a little.

Blkblurr
02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
I have never changed my plugs that often. I simply cleaned them and regapped them. I had a set in my 89 for 100,000 miles

danronian
02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Usually if the gap is fine on the plugs, it means they aren't worn enough to matter. Just a cleaning will usually do them fine, if the gap is a little bigger than when you put them in it is usually b/c they are worn and they can be re-gapped but since they are so cheap I usually just buy new ones and change them when the gap opens up a noticeable amount.

HondaBoy
02-13-2005, 12:59 PM
the reason i decided to go ahead and change mine were that the electrode was rounded off, and they are V type ones with the V grove in them, so filing down can mess things up. plus they were a little over $6 for all 4, so i said to hell with the old ones.

greekguy7
02-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I stick with original equipment type NGK plugs.

I usually change them every 50k-60k miles or so... and I got 259700 miles on my 87 Accord LXi.

AccordEpicenter
02-14-2005, 12:32 PM
mom's car has new plugs every 20K miles... mine will get them about the same rate... oh, and basic V-Power plugs are just fine

word. You could get away with probably double that on the plugs, then you might notice an idle degredation, it depends on the car. Simple NGK V power plugs for me. Funny how hondas get really picky with plugs, my 95 had a slight half miss at idle with so so champion plugs, then i put in some used v power ngks and she idled soooo smooth, much better. Fuck autolite etc