PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen restore project

bc86
06-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Im going to start a restore project soon, but wish to know if there is any point if there is a huge chunk out of the frame missin, due to rust? Also, how would one go about repairing the rust along the sides of the car, (underneath) My mechanic said If I was to get rear ended or side swiped, i would be in trouble. SO, any tips or tricks, or atleast your ideas would be much appreciated.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Well I know you can buy those replacement rocker panels for like $65 + shipper per side from a fellow 3geez member's website. But if you find someone that is good at fabricating you could have them grind out all the crap and weld in new rocker panels. Mine are starting to get rusty from the MN winters. My dad is an auto body man so once he gets settled into his new house he's going to repair them for me and maybe I could talk him into fabricating some cool looking rocker panel/sideskirts.

-Mike

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Your options depend on how much rust there is on the car. It may be more economical to find a 3G Accord with a good straight body and simply use your current car for parts for the restoration. Welding in new body panels can get pretty expensive at body shops. Doing it yourself is another option, but the results may be less than perfect. On unibody cars it is quiet problematic to repair large areas of rust because most panels are integral parts of the chassis.

bc86
06-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Ok, but what about the rust hole in the frame?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-13-2004, 08:15 AM
If there is extensive damage to load-bearing sections of the chassis, it is safer to get a new 3G with a straight and solid body. Repairing rust damage on stressed chassis areas is rather tough and may lead to changes in the chassis geometry and integrity.