PDA

View Full Version : '89 LX-i A/C problem

david89
07-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Hi everybody, this is my first post. I have an '89 Accord LX-i with 366,000 miles on it, and it has developed a problem with the A/C. What happens is, the A/C blows cold air for a while, the compressor cycles on and off normally. But eventually, the compressor will cycle off and just never come back on until a half hour or so. Today, I drove around until the compressor kicked off for good, then I removed the glovebox, unplugged the evaporator thermostat and jumped the connector with a wire. The compressor still did not come back on. Next, I unplugged the compressor clutch relay and jumped it, still no luck. Then I bypassed the pressure sensor, thinking for sure that had to be the problem. The compressor still wouldn't kick on.
The strange thing is, the condensor fan doesn't work (bad fan motor), so I figured that maybe since the condensor wasn't getting enough airflow through it, the pressure in the high side line was getting too high, so the pressure sensor was kicking off the compressor until the pressure lowered. However, even by bypassing the pressure sensor with a jumper wire, nothing changed. There went that theory. My next step is to check for power at the compressor clutch. Does anybody have any similar experiences they could share? Thanks!

-Dave

offthahook
07-18-2002, 09:44 PM
Welcome and I'm not sure anyone has that many miles and most of our AC's have been replaced (compressor usually) or just don't work at all. I haven't heard of too many evaporator cores failing on the 3G. Sounds like your headed in the right direction with the power chasing. I have heard of loose ground wires at the compressor. If you got 366K off a factory compressor, mad props. I'd get a new fan motor, too. It's either nippodenso or mitsuba. I'm doing that myself...