PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

Ludi Mali
06-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Hey guys, thsi is about my dads 96' camry, its 3gee related, because now he's using my 3gee to get to work :( , so anyways, it won't even turn over, it just clicks once when you turn teh key. dash lights turn on, but nothing from the engine. new battery didn't do anything, nto sure where to go next, I'm assuming its the starter, any ideas?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a problem with the starter solenoid. If you have a volt meter, it would be easy to check if there is voltage at the starter signal wire when the key is turned. If there isn't, the problem is in the ignition switch/wiring. Otherwise, it is probably the starter or the solenoid. Changing the solenoid should be cheaper and easier than changing the starter, so look into the first.

Ludi Mali
06-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Took out the starter and solenoid and had them tested at auto zone, they work fine. The other symptom i just found out is, if you hold the key in the on position for a long period of time 5-10 minutes, the car seems like it will eventually start, and it starts right up without hesitation, after holding the key for a long time. The amount of time you have to hold the key also seems to correlate to how long the car has been off, so overnight it can take as much as 15-20 minutes to start.

cruznz
06-13-2004, 03:08 PM
certainly sounds like ignition switch fault