PDA

View Full Version : Shuddering in gear??

viking3099
06-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with problems with an '87 AT LXi. The problem is that when the tranny is in gear, D2, D3 or D4 the car shudders while idling, if I put it in Park or Neutral the car seems to idle normally. The idle speed does not change between the 2 states. I was wondering if this could possibly be an issue with the transmission. I changed the front motor mount last summer when i rebuilt the head. The other motor mounts seemed fine so i didn't bother changing them. I also changed the tranny fluid last year, and i was thinking about doing that again this year.
Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

accordlxi2.0
06-14-2004, 03:56 PM
well you have the rear mount, side, then a mount that is under the car between engine and tranny.
but first, the front mount should be liquid filled if it's just a hunk of rubber, then your gonna feel the vibe's.
if it's liquid filled, then i would check the side and/or rear mount.
i thought my side mount was fine too, but it was compleatly off of it's mount.

viking3099
06-14-2004, 04:02 PM
I did buy a liquid filled front mount. I can check on the other mounts, i just assumed that if the mounts were bad the car would shake even when in Park/Neutral. That is why I was leaning toward a tranny issue.

BlueBead
06-14-2004, 04:07 PM
I'd check the tranny mount, hopefully that's the problem. Otherwise it sounds like an internal tranny prob to me. Damned autos. I hope it's just the mount. try popping your hood while someone holds the brake pedal down and see if you can get a visual of what exactly is shaking. G'luck w/ it!

ivanfbi
06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
check if all your cylinders are working.

viking3099
06-14-2004, 04:30 PM
There should be no reason why any of the cylinders should not be working. I didn't check but it would be my assumption that i would have much greater problems with a non working cylinder than just a little shaking while in gear.

Along those lines, i rebuilt the head last summer, new plugs, wires, distributor cap, new valve seals, and whatever else i did that i can't remember right now.

Maybe someone can answer this question...

I don't know but what symptoms would a failing Torque Converter exhibit?

accordlxi2.0
06-15-2004, 05:31 PM
a failing torque converter hmmmm, well i would assume the car would'nt move, and if your tranny has an electronic lock torque converter, it would stay locked at all time's causing the engine to stall at take off, you know at one point my converter was'nt locking up, but once i used my cruise it locked up and had no prob's after wards.
i think you tranny's fine, i belive it's a mount.
if any cylinder was'nt working then it would shudder in any shift selection.
but what your experincing(misspelled) is the broken mount syndrome . . . . . . . .oh wait one more thing if you put on the front mount then tighten it all the way, that's one problem, your suppose to leave the top nut loose till the engine warm's, that work's, plus it pertain's to the other mount's too. . . . . .