PDA

View Full Version : Distributor trouble!

TheMagi
06-13-2004, 02:42 PM
well....under the rotor dust cap, there is a bunch of reddish dust everywhere, and very fine aluminum shavings. The car has been missing intermittently, and performance is down. Anybody experience this? :sad2:

dXsquared
06-13-2004, 03:12 PM
get a new cap and rotor... as well as new plugs and wires... if theres that much dust that it caused you to be curious, i bet the whole ignition system needs a tune up

Travis

TheMagi
06-13-2004, 03:44 PM
get a new cap and rotor... as well as new plugs and wires... if theres that much dust that it caused you to be curious, i bet the whole ignition system needs a tune up

Travis
I added the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and even coil.

HondaBoy
06-13-2004, 03:51 PM
how long ago did you put the new stuff on. i replaced my cap and rotor a few months ago. the on that was on there was the original from japan. 17 years old! it had a bit of red dust in the cap. it hasnt given me any trouble since.

TheMagi
06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I was driving this morning, and I started getting a loud rattling noise (worse than it has been!) coming from the distributor. The tach shot up to it's limit, not the engine thank god, and that was it. I was finally stranded by a Honda. :ugh: Well, I got the car home, and the inner ball-bearing race under the rotor button dust cap was destroyed!!! There was metal shavings from the inside of the dizzy and pieces of the race and bearings everywhere. Needless to say< I needed a new one. Vinny came to my rescue with one he's shipping me tommorrow. :dunno: What a trip!

BlueBead
06-14-2004, 05:31 PM
That sounds like a crappy day..... was it the original diz? how many miles on it?
K-roy said to go with the prelude dizzy and an accel coil. I'm still waiting to do it...

TheMagi
06-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Original, with 188,000 miles. Guess it was time.

shepherd79
06-15-2004, 05:28 PM
when you see the red dust, it means that the bearings are gone.
get a new dizy.