PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat?

pixiesfan78
06-13-2004, 07:22 PM
ok so ive been working on my center console i have fabricated a mounting baffel for my eq into the x tape holder part. the molding is flawless it looks good. now the last thing i want is a shity finish im going for glossy black with the entire factory texture smoothed off i want the finished project to look like you could dive into it.so far it has been a ton of wetsanding i think i finally got it down to one more wetsand with a 600a grit one more coat of krylonfusion glossblack. then i will be ready for the finish coat this is where it counts and im unclear as to what the best method would be to achieve the finish i want. i know i should wetsand with at least a 1500 grit but then what? should i be able to buff it back to a glossy shine with a buffing wheel?if so what kinda compound ?or do i find a really good clear coat that dries hard un like krylon and other brands then wetsand anb buff the clear?any how i think you guys get what i want to achieve any sugestions will be helpful. :rockon: hope theres a master painter 3gee member..

pixiesfan78
06-14-2004, 07:52 PM
noone on here knows how to paint?i could really use a suggestion.

Justin86
06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
yea a really fine sand paper and then go over it with a buffing cloth wheel. My budding did this do his valve cover, turned out really nice.

Gregg86DX
06-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I would go ahead and buff it out after the 1500. Any decent polishing compound should work, but if you want good stuff, try to find a place that sells automotive paint. 3M sells some good stuff that you might find in an autoparts store.

After that, if you are not happy with the gloss, then you can clear coat and do the sand/buff process again. Be sure to scuff the base color before you clear coat so it will adhere. 3M also makes a scuffing paste that works well with a grey 3M pad.

DNMPro
06-20-2004, 08:46 PM
I agree with Gregg86, go to a local auto paint place, and as for either a 1500 or 2000 grit paper, then I'd suggest 3-M Perfect It (Regular Cut) Compound and then 3-M Perfect It Hand Glaze. Good stuff!