PDA

View Full Version : alarm LED

dXsquared
06-13-2004, 07:34 PM
i got an alarm LED from a friend... i dont actually have an alarm.. he told me to hook the red line to constant 12V and the black to remote line.. that way it would know when the car is off... is this how you do it.?? doesnt it need a ground?? lemme know... thanks

Travis

dXsquared
06-14-2004, 08:10 AM
12 hour later bump

Travis

DanLXI88
06-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Where are you getting this remote line? From the HU ?? Without an alarm I think it would need to be wired 12v constant which means it would be on all the time to get around this you could put a switch inline so you could turn it on and off.

TJ89Accord
06-14-2004, 09:18 AM
LED will run on a lower voltage than 12 volts. You will need a resistor. And that wouldn't work hooking it up like that.

tim

DanLXI88
06-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I am assuming you already have a resister inline.

TJ89Accord
06-14-2004, 10:44 AM
unless the remote wire reads negative when the radio is off. I never tested it though.

tim

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Some of the alarm LEDs use 12 volts. If this is one of the stand-alone LEDs that is used to imitate an alarm, it probably uses 12 volts. If the LED is from an alarm system, chances are it is 3.3v or less. In addition, it is probably non-blinking. The remote output may in fact be negative when the radio is off in order to cause the power antenna to retract (not sure if the 3G wire harness includes this wire though because our power antennas are switch-operated). If you can locate the remote wire or pin, measure the voltage on it. If the pin is negative, you will be able to hook the LED up as your friend described (assuming it is 12v). Otherwise, you will probably need a switch for it. In that case the LED's red wire would be hooked up to constant power and the black wire would go through a switch to ground. Hope this helps.

Magny
06-18-2004, 06:12 PM
It wont work at all. If you hook the red wire to a constant and put the black to the remote, it will stay on period. you need to do what 89AccordLX(Rus) said, use a switch. I tried looking for an accessory wire for my radio in my brother's camaro and couldn't find one so I wired the acc. and the constant wire together thinkin it may turn the stereo off and it didnt.

This is what I mean:
http://img71.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Magny/Head_unit_diagram2.bmp

Sorry for the crappy diag, just made it real quick