PDA

View Full Version : TIme has come to get a new clutch and flywheel...

unc25
06-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Ok guys I am going to be seriously looking into getting a new clutch and a new flywheel. The only problem I have is that I dont really know what clutch kit I should get. And I also cant seem to find a damn flywheel anywhere. (I found one but it was an unorthadox racing lightweight flywheel for 440!!!) Any links or places to check out locally would be great.

Thanx in advance for the help.

dXsquared
06-14-2004, 06:46 AM
you dont need a new flywheel unless yours is severly cracked.. just get a new stage 1 clutch kit and have yours resurfaced at a mahcine shop

Travis

Vinny
06-14-2004, 07:00 AM
What you get SHOULD depend on what you plkan on doing with your car. If you plan on leaving it , for the most part stock, or only going with subtle mods you'd be best served going with an ACTUAL OEM clutch. I'm running OEM from in both and can't complain one bit. They hold much better than the aftermarket cheapo setups. Flywheel, ya should be fine with what you have. Just look into a clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing

unc25
06-14-2004, 10:57 AM
The only reason I asked about the flywheel is b/c My clutch makes a screech noise kinda like Im chirping the tires. I figured It was the throw out bearing rubbing against the flywheel and I figured thats not gonna be good. I dont plan on doing any crazy mods and an OEM clutch should serve me just fine.

I guess the best place to look would be the dealer then huh? What would a resurface on my flywheel cost me?

Vinny
06-14-2004, 11:02 AM
resurfacing is cheap cheap. As far as the dealer...try majestic honda's website. thats where I picked mine up from. Its going to run you more than some aftermarket setups, but it WILL last longer and hold just as well on a stock engine, or one with minor mods. I have a new OEM pressure plate if you are interested. Shoot me a PM later if ya want more input

unc25
06-14-2004, 11:05 AM
The oem clutch kit somes with a pressure plae right?

What the hell is the pressure plate?

Vinny
06-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda sells, to my knowledge, everything spereately. Or atleast thats how I bought my last 2 setups for the hatch and sedan. No kit to my knowledge. Advance and places like that sell kits that have the Pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and alignment tool. They are about 80 bucks cheaper and are, in my opinion, a you get what you pay for kind of deal

unc25
06-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I just need something thats gonna hold and gonna last a while. Not something thats gonna hold 3,000 hp and give me a 80% increase in torque capacity. I mean seriously its a DX Accord with the "major" mods being a civic intake, maybe some exhaust, and a big maybe on a header. Thats it.

The clutch seems to hold ok now, but it releases really really high, and it makes that screech when I shift sometimes. I will just have to shop around some more

BlueBead
06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
I'd say remachine you're flywheel for sure and either get the OEM parts like Vinny said (and he knows whats up) or find a clutch kit with a really good warranty. I put a new clutch in my old nissan without remachining the flywheel, and I regretted it afterwards. Good luck on it!

AccordEpicenter
06-14-2004, 06:15 PM
i got a aasco one for $415

shepherd79
06-15-2004, 02:55 AM
if you want aluminum flywheel, here it is http://www.nipponpower.com/drivetrain/clutch/spec_honda.html

SteveDX89
06-15-2004, 03:19 AM
I just need something thats gonna hold and gonna last a while. Not something thats gonna hold 3,000 hp and give me a 80% increase in torque capacity. I mean seriously its a DX Accord with the "major" mods being a civic intake, maybe some exhaust, and a big maybe on a header. Thats it.

The clutch seems to hold ok now, but it releases really really high, and it makes that screech when I shift sometimes. I will just have to shop around some more

Does the screeching occur when you let the clutch back out or when you're actually moving the shifter? Where does the sound come from? The only screeching I could think of would be when you're letting the clutch back out and it's engaging the flywheel. If the clutch disc is really worn, the rivets will hit the flywheel. Also, check to make sure it's just not your pedal spring squeeking. Mine does that every now and then. The throwout bearing will never touch the flywheel so that's out. When you replace the clutch, be sure to replace the throwout bearing and the return spring. The bearing is common knowledge but the spring is kind of for piece of mind. It's less than 5 bucks so it's not a big deal to replace.

unc25
06-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah the screech happens when I let the clutch out. But it only happens sometimes, like when I shift hard. (Redline shifting.) I have been taking it easy on this one and I am looking to get one here pretty soon. I guess I will just get a shop that can resurface the flywheel and install the clutch for me.

Vinny
06-15-2004, 11:49 AM
I thought you were bringing that thing down to me to install it :D After all I already have a nice new pressure plate sitting on the shelf. All you'd have to order is the clutch disk and throwout bearing. Throw-out bearing I'd get from a local parts house, if its alot cheaper. They use the EXACT same one that come from honda.