PDA

View Full Version : how much should the timing belt flap around?

johnwc723
06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
i did my timing belt awhile ago and i have figured that i did it wrong the whole time, it seemed like the tensioner was broken because the timing belt when i hit the higher RPMs flaps around a little bit

i already took apart my car and the timing belt again to just manualy tighten it a little with a crowbar now it doesnt flap at all but it makes a wierd noise

how much can the timing belt flap around at the higher rmps? (if any)

HondaBoy
06-15-2004, 01:21 PM
it should be faily tight. i dont think it should have any "play" in it. this is one of the most important belts on the engine of course. so it being messed up is really bad. i dont believe it should make any noise at all. mine was replace not long ago and it makes no noises along with the other belts are quiet. i'd say lets get some more opinions from other members before you do anything.

johnwc723
06-15-2004, 01:27 PM
yeah, like it flops around alittle bit at the higher RPMs if i dont use the crowbar to tenison it a little more than the tensioner wants to, but if i do that the engine seems to make a squealing noise

BlueBead
06-15-2004, 01:34 PM
It sounds like your belt might be stretched. You shouldn't have to do that to the tensioner. I'd look at trying a new belt and making sure you've got it installed correctly. This damn thing is too important..... if its in wrong you can destroy all of your intake or exhast valves. My cousin did that to my Nissan and ended up buying me a whole new head. Ask hostilejava about this one... he's a building guru
Good luck

johnwc723
06-15-2004, 01:41 PM
i dont know how my timing belt could be streched tho because it is new!! as soon as i put this timing belt in it seemed like it was too loose and i did do "the proper" turn the crank pulley a little bit to get the tension on the front side before i tighten down the tensioner aaaaaaarggg

so it really cant flop aorund at all?

Justin86
06-15-2004, 03:15 PM
i dont know how my timing belt could be streched tho because it is new!! as soon as i put this timing belt in it seemed like it was too loose and i did do "the proper" turn the crank pulley a little bit to get the tension on the front side before i tighten down the tensioner aaaaaaarggg

so it really cant flop aorund at all?
Did you turn it the full 3 teeth it recomends, I had to turn it about 3.5 teeth to get my perfect. I would say we adjust the tension on it and see if it helps, better safe then sorry.

johnwc723
06-15-2004, 08:30 PM
like when it says rotate teeth it just means turn the crank pulley a little bit to get rid of the slack in front right? i mean i dont see why 3 teeth is gonna be any different than 20 teeth ya know?

johnwc723
06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
anyone know why they say 3 teeth?

DanLXI88
06-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Are you sure you got the right belt ?

Vinny
06-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Its just a number someone decided was sufficient enough to remove the slack. As the crank turns it "pulls" the timing gear, which creates tension at the tensioner. Make sure your tensioner is tightened proberly to 31ft lbs. If its still not tightening you may need to replace the tensioner. I replace mine every time i do my timing belt just to prevent things like this from happening. I figure if its gotta come off I might as well replace it

accordlxi2.0
06-16-2004, 05:04 PM
mine's was the other way, at low rpm's it would flop, not on the tensionor side, i've adjusted so many time's, once it revved to 3,000rpm's it was fine, i was told by other mechanics that it was fine,plus one guy on the board told me if it's tight with finger pressure (a lil' looseness would be fine), then it's fine.. . . . . .

vtecxxmitchxx87
06-16-2004, 05:11 PM
when doing any timming belt you should be able to turn the belt 90 deg.s no more and no less if it is to loose it will flap if it is to tight it will wine and wear quickly

vtecxxmitchxx87
06-16-2004, 05:14 PM

johnwc723
06-18-2004, 09:18 AM
well im gonna try some more here, i was out of town, now vinny when you say that you replace the tensioner, what all do you replace (there is the "spinny thing" the bolt assembally and also the spring?)

Vinny
06-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I can try to take a pic when I get home, if I get time............ but maybe for now this will help
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_A03.gif
Part numbers 4 and 5 are what i replace with the belt

johnwc723
06-18-2004, 06:53 PM
cool thanks