PDA

View Full Version : radius arm traction system

Justin86
06-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Well this is something I'm starting to hear more and more about. Basicaly what they do is replace the radiator support with something lighter and that has radius arms that helps to elimnate wheel hop, and other systems replane the entire front cross member and radiator supports. The design is pretty straight forward and they sell for up to $400. Something like this for half the price and for us big power makers, would greatly love.
http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com/2/z10-1002.jpg
http://www.competitionengineering.com/catalog/images/c9300_installed.jpg

AccordEpicenter
06-15-2004, 02:54 PM
uhh... i dont know about you guys but ive never gotten wheel hop... ever. Its a great idea for civic guys, helps alot

Justin86
06-15-2004, 03:10 PM
well whats so special about the civics and tegs. They have pretty much the same suspension design that we do. The stock radius arm have that nice fat bushing on it that allows for movement. This system with make the arm fixed making the suspension, esp during launches much more responsive.

k-roy
06-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Ok that would be useless for us, we allready have radius rods. My 90 Teggy has them too.
But if you have say a 5th gen Civic where Honda went cheap and did not even put in a front crossmember or radius rods then its a good investment.

88LXi68
06-15-2004, 04:14 PM
As Kroy stated it would be useless for our cars. Our 3gs have Adjustable radius rods whereas most Integras, CRXs, Civics, Accords, and Preludes that did come with radius rods were NON-Adjustable. The only reason to get something like this is to fit a bigger header like my JDM ITR 4-1 header. I had to notch the X-Member for it to fit.

Justin86
06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
yea, but still it would be an upgrade from what we have. There would be more room and less weight. The main reason I was looking at it was for the weight reduction.

AccordEpicenter
06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
oh yea i forgot about that fact. For better control, use stiffer bushings in the radius rods etc in the front beam. Also most civic/tegs dont have an engine crossmember or a dogbone mount to dampen engine/tranny movements... we have a superior suspension setup

dXsquared
06-15-2004, 06:49 PM
hey... would it help if i got new radius arm bushings and made them tighter?? would i feel a difference??

Travis

Justin86
06-15-2004, 09:31 PM
yea they just have the lower rear tranny/engine mount, we do kick ass. Well then what about bushings...... get some poly ones or something?

Nate2310
06-15-2004, 09:49 PM
I've gotten pretty bad wheel hop before

k-roy
06-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Fuck poly bushings, get solid bearing ones. There is a place that makes them, do a search.

Busted_Blue
06-16-2004, 03:06 AM
sounds interesting, would anyone attempt this on our cars? Like someone said we do already have adjustable radius rods..are the such things are aftermarket adjustable radius rods for our replacement?

Whats interesting is when i took a look under 3rd gen prelude and 4th gen civics, they all have radius rods too. But looking at a 3rd gen Integra, nothing. Explains alot why the older hondas don't get wheel hop, at least not alot. Shame honda went cheap....and now the newer civic and rsx are macpherson style arms no longer double wishbone :( ...honda is changing and for the better :dunno:

k-roy
06-16-2004, 04:11 AM
ok people
ADJUSTING THE CASTER ANGLE OUTSIDE THE FACTORY SPECS IS POINTLESS.
thanks for reading :uh:

88LXi68
06-16-2004, 04:47 AM
ok people
ADJUSTING THE CASTER ANGLE OUTSIDE THE FACTORY SPECS IS POINTLESS.
thanks for reading :uh:

I havent exactly played with different settings, but why do you say it is pointless?? not trying to start an arguement, I just want to know why you think that.

k-roy
06-16-2004, 05:04 AM
Caster is not poinless, its just not something to fuck with.

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/caster.gif
If you tighten the radius rods the lower part of the strut assembly is pulled foreward, this is called positive or trailing caster as shown above.
If you push back the lower part of the suspension its called negative or leading caster.

Caster provides the self centring of the steering. The greater the caster angle, the greater the increase of negative camber on the outside, laiden wheel in a turn, and the more positive camber on the inside, unladen wheel in a turn. This can lead to instability.

I really do not see the point in custom making new radius rods. I have only ever seen one car with fucked up radius rods, and that was from 5 years of hard driving on a lowered Accord. The OEM rods are strong enough as it is. Now I can certinly see the advantage of poly bushings or solid roller bearings over the stock rubber bushings in the front where the rods connect to the crossmember. And for the Crossmember, yea it could be stronger but I really do not see a point in making a new one either, unless its an all out track car or more clearance for a header or turbo is needed.

Damn you 88LXi68, you made me think too hard this early in the morning. :ugh:

88LXi68
06-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Damn you 88LXi68, you made me think too hard this early in the morning.

Well at least you answered my question. Thank you

AccordEpicenter
06-16-2004, 01:25 PM
yeah unless your really really know what youre doing and have a heavily modified (suspension wise) car then changing caster angles is a no no, small changes in the angle lead to big changes in the cars handling (generally not good)