PDA

View Full Version : Damn antenna!

unc25
06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Ok so I live with my girlfriend and her parents always park in my spot!!! What I feared would happen finally did the other day. Lining the whole driveway are these annoying damn trees whose limbs hang out into the path of the driveway. While backing out from a spot that sux balls, b/c my G/f's parent sdecided to park in my spot, my antenna got hung on one of the branches and just snapped in half the whole damn thing just snapped in half. I went out today to look at it to see if I could fix it, and I tugged on the black thing that screws into the roof and the rest of it just pulled out with it. But there was no antenna cord attached to the end. I then went inside the car and tried to follow the antenna wire, but I couldnt seem to follow it past the steering column area.

Anyone have any experience with replacing the antenna? I am so tempted to take it to the local audio shop and have them put me a new one in just so I dont have to fool with it. I would like to get something a little more low profile to since this could and probably will happen again.

86LXItooFAST4me
06-16-2004, 09:38 AM
man i could have sworn there was a how to on that. i searched for it but couldnt find it. anyone know where it is?

Bloodlust
06-16-2004, 10:30 AM
I heard that power antennas are a real pain in the ass. Mine is broken as well, I snapped the mast. But since you have the manual one I have no idea how those work, but I would assume it would be easier. Id just take it to the local audio shop and have them do it.

DanLXI88
06-16-2004, 10:33 AM
I have not had to do it but when I bought my HU I got install papers for it and the antenna. Unless you have the time to fix it I would get it done at a shop because it looks like a pain in the a$$. I almost never listen to the Radio but when I do I still get good reception even with the antenna down.

Vinny
06-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Unc it looks pretty cut and dry, especially with a non power antennae. I'd suggest removing the 2 screws and give it a little pull. Just enough to see how much slack is in the actual antennae to radio part. Might want to tie string to the end of the antennae going into the radio and just pull it through. then tie the string to the new plig and pull it back down. I know I know I make things sound so simple sometimes

unc25
06-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok Vin I did that already, but the antenna wire didnt come through the hole like I had planned on. I am gonig to call around and see how much I am looking at to get the antenna replaced and see if they can hook me up with one that isnt going to get hung up on the trees.

I am looking in to a fuba antenna right now. That is pretty low profile and it wouldnt have a chance to hung up on a tree. Thanx for the help guys.

Vinny
06-16-2004, 11:46 AM
run a clothes hanger up there and use it to pull the new one down, works for re-running new windshield washer tubing

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Before removing the antenna, you absolutely have to disconnect the signal wire from the H/U and pull it out from under the dash. Originally the wire is routed OVER your steering column and gets hung up really easy up there. When I serviced my antenna, I removed the gauge cluster and pulled the wire out from above. When you are done, reroute the wire beneath the steering column.

unc25
06-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Well I have figured out what I am going to do.....
I am going to remove the old antenna, and I am going to cover the hole where the antenna was and I am just going to wait it out until I can get my hands on a fuba antenna and I am going to mount it in the back where my rear washer squiter is.

I plan on "shaving" the wiper arm back there so there is really no point in having the squirter there at all.