PDA

View Full Version : Getting my 3G soon!

deevergote
06-16-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm getting my car soon (blue 86 LXi hatchback), and I can't stop thinking about it!
I have so many plans, and I can't wait to start learning about it!

I plan on finding a beat up engine to play with, and probably boost in stock condition... I'll remove the fairly low mileage engine that is in it now and save to build it up (for a serious turbo car).

I'm putting this in the General forum because I have no real technical questions just yet. I just wanna throw some ideas around and see what you guys think!

I'm short on cash, so I dunno when any of this will be done. The turbo is my main plan (the iron A20A block is the reason why I've taken such an interest in the 3G... plus, the hatchie is just so sexy!) My other plans include:

flat black paintjob
EDM front end conversion (the flippies are cool, but it would be nice to have the non-flip lights as well!)
bronze Konig Heliums (15" maybe. nothing too big)

Now, my questions are:
Who makes a good clutch? I want something that will be able to handle high hp... 400+ when the serious build is done (planning no more than 200 on my stock beater engine)
Also, is OPM the only maker of an LSD for these cars? Their design doesn't sound all that good (though I've heard good things). Are there any transmissions that would bolt up to the A20A ('m not interested in a B swap) that could accept a good LSD (quaife, etc?)

Finally, just to share my crazy ideas with you (this is something that, if it ever happens, won't be for a LONG time!):
I'd love to try to mate a performance 4wd transmission (Suburau or something, I have to check to see what could be made to work) to the A20A... or at least a RWD tranny. The similarities of the hatchback to the AE86 got me thinking that this little car would be a sweet road/drift car... It's just that FWD just isn't cool :p Well, maybe it is in some cases, but I'd love to have a cool hybrid like that!

Suggestions, advice, reactions... whatever would be appreciated! I'm anxious to get serious with my 3G!

BlueBead
06-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I like your ideas man. Get in touch with sean for the turbo; he's the man to talk to. The 4WD thing is something I was considering too, but I still need to take a look at the driveline and see how different the chassis' are. I'd love to take my hatch offroad.. there are so many bush roads out here that need to be honda'd. I'd like to go with a subaru drivetrain because they go forever (kinda like our 3gs, but not as nice).
I think the only think I disagree with you on is the headlight conversion, but that's a personal style thing.
Good luck man.

deevergote
06-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Yeah, the flip lights are growing on me... I'm not positive that I'll do that for sure. Either way, I love the way the hatch looks!

I know the floor would need to be modified for a different drivetrain, but I'm not sure how much. I'll see what I can learn once I get the car.

Also, I've already talked to Sean... I may go with him for a lot of the stuff. My beater engines will have the cheapest parts I can find though! I want to learn a bit about boost without putting insane amounts of money into the car... This is my second project, and I'm just now graduating college (and starting my own business, I hope... so no money for a while!) My CB7 (4th gen) is already taking a chunk of my money, and I'm not done with that beast either! (I just need a second 200hp car, for some reason...)

deevergote
07-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Yeah, it's an old thread... But it's MY thread! Better than starting a new one...

Anyway, I'm getting it today!!! I will finally own one!
1986 Blue LXi Hatchback. Needs some work, but overall it's a great car for the price. As long as it runs well enough to get me 1000 miles home (yes, I'm traveling 1000 miles to get this car!) I'll be happy.

accordlxi2.0
07-02-2004, 01:02 PM
ummm . . . i know i like 3g, but i'm not gonna travel 1000 mile's to get one.
but regardless if it runs okay, or fairly it'll get ya home.
i'm looking for another one myself.

deevergote
07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Got it!

I went down to see an old friend as well, so the trip wasn't solely for the car. Still, it cost me a bit. I blew out a tire shortly after buying it, and I had it towed 130 miles (gotta love AAA!) Once I grabbed some cheapie tires from Sears ($100 for two... one was going bald due to bad camber... this car is LOW... stock springs going back on soon) I managed to get it home. It needs lots of work, but isn't that what a project car is for?

I'll be looking around for some stock parts to replace some things that are shot.

88accordhb
07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
hehehe nice man!!! hope you have fun.

accordlxi2.0
07-07-2004, 03:33 PM
the more you work on it, you'll realize that's it's easy to work on it, and you'll be more attacted to it(if you have'nt owned one already)

deevergote
07-07-2004, 03:48 PM
This is my first 3G. I love my 92, so I should be very happy with the 86... I think the hatchback is one of the best looking Accords when it's in good shape, so I can't wait to make it look nice! My poor 4G is going to suffer a little though... The money I spent on the hatchie was set aside for some new Rotas!

It's worth it though. I can't wait to fix the few things that are making the car illegal (NJ inspection sucks). I have to fix a windshield chip, replace the emissions control box thingy (anyone have vacuum diagrams?) and fix the horn. I also have to fix the front wheels (missing a stud on each...). After than, the stock springs are going back on, and it'll be on it's way to being impressive! Hopefully a turbo setup will be in the near future. I want to make more than 200hp as soon as possible (I have to make it more power than my 4G!)