PDA

View Full Version : Chipped ECU?

deevergote
06-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Ok, I've searched and found nothing... I'm looking to play around with turbo (Sean's stuff is in my plans, but I wanna see what I can do on my own first). Since I know I can't run some 440cc DSM injectors using the stock ECU, I want to know if there are any ECUs that can be chipped to work... I'm thinking the PM6 from a CRX maybe?

I come from the 4th gen crowd, mainly the H22 swapped guys... so I'm kinda familiar with using other ECUs (P28 from a Civic Si for the H22, P72 from the GSR, stuff like that...) I don't even know for sure if the A20A (fuel injected of course) could be run properly by another car's ECU!

So, aside from Sean's modified GM ECU, is there any other ECU that can be used with the A20A for a turbo setup running bigger injectors?

I'm new to turbo, so I plan on buying as many inexpensive parts to play with as I can while I'm saving up for the real deal with Sean. I accept the fact that I might blow a stock motor or two! I'm saving the low-mileage one that's coming in my car for the professional job. I want to find some 200k+ mile engines to mess with, just for experience (and immediate satisfaction... the American way!)

NXRacer
06-17-2004, 02:59 PM
I"ve been looking into this and from what i've read and heard from people in the know-how with chips, you could use another honda ECU and chip it for the a20. I believe you can use a p28 with the a20. Sean has the BIN files from the original ECU i believe that you could give to somebody to mess around with.

deevergote
06-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Cool, thanks!
I was hoping I could find something cheaper than the P28 (since I've been shopping for one for my 4th gen already). The best prices I can find for them is $50, but everywhere I find $50 ones, they've already been sold.

I don't know if a VTEC ECU would be necessary for a non-VTEC engine... I guess since it's one of the most commonly modified ECUs that it might just be easiest though, huh?

k-roy
06-18-2004, 03:11 AM
Ok I will admit I don't know much about ECUs, hell my Accord does not even have one anymore.
This is a kickass site that has helped me learn a lot about my PR4 in another car www.pgmfi.org

One thing you need to consider about another ECU such as an OBD1 is what distributor do you plan on using?

deevergote
06-18-2004, 06:02 AM
As for a distributor, I have no clue... I've never taken these things into consideration before, so this is all new to me. I believe the PM6 is an OBD0 ECU, so I suppose that would work better.

I've known about www.pgmfi.com, but I've never gone there. My friend told me about it, but I always thought it was beyond me! I guess maybe it's time to check it out!

Robs89LXi
06-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Are we ever going to get a "forced induction" category on this site?

deevergote
06-18-2004, 09:38 AM
I'll be the first to post there :D
FI is my whole reason for getting a 3G! I swear, the A20A has to be the best Honda engine to boost (or at least that's what I believe, I guess I'll find out!)

I want to see how cheap I can make a working FI car though. I know I can have a worked engine, and all the engine management I need for about $5,000 - $6,000. I want to see if I can do it (without building the engine up) for about $2000... Nothing is as cheap as it seems at first, but I want to try!

Robs89LXi
06-18-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm in the infantile stage of this very thing myself. From what I've gathered so far though, our PJ0 ECUs are not chippable, se we are left with four choices.
1. Use another OBD-0 ECU that is chippable (Civic, Integra?).
2. Convert to OBD-1 ECU and find a dizzy that will fit (If you know of one, please share).
3. Stand alone system (TEC3, SDS, Haltech etc.).
4. Sean's GMC ECU.
All are viable options, but nuber 2 is my first choice. Since Houston has pretty stringent emissions laws, I need to keep all that stuff intact on my car. I think a Honda ECU would provide for the smoothest management of those sensors. If anyone knows of an OBD-1 distributor that would fit an A20A3 engine, please be sure to let me know.

deevergote
06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Since the A series design was never really carried over into other Honda engines, I wonder if there is anything that would fit! I'm sure something can be made to fit, but it could be more trouble than it's worth.

How come you'd rather have OBD-1 than OBD-0? I know that OBD-1 is favorable to OBD-2, but I always thought that OBD-0 would mean even more freedom! I know that there are ROM editing programs for OBD-0 ECUs out there (like TurboEdit). If an OBD-0 ECU is used, then the stock setup can be retained, can't it?

NXRacer
06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
a friend of mine who's done a lot of chipping said that a civic ECU thats been chipped and reprogrammed would work just fine. I was thinking about going that route, but i think i'm just gonna stick with seans ECU setup because from what i've heard its got really good reliability.

deevergote
06-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, Sean's ECU setup is my plan for my "expensive" build... If I could find a cheap Civic ECU (like $25 or something... the OBD-0 ones can't be expensive!) I could have it chipped for next to nothing.

Robs89LXi
06-19-2004, 01:00 PM
a friend of mine who's done a lot of chipping said that a civic ECU thats been chipped and reprogrammed would work just fine. I was thinking about going that route, but i think i'm just gonna stick with seans ECU setup because from what i've heard its got really good reliability.
Can you find out what ECU he's talking about, and is he SURE that it will work in our cars? There would of course have to be pinout changes, but does the Civic use the same sensors/voltage as ours?

deevergote
06-20-2004, 07:08 AM
What is needed to use an ECU from another car? I looked through some of Sean's info on the GM ECU, and it seems like a lot of modifications need to be made for that. What ECU was he using? The 7165 from an 89 Corvette (S10, etc... lots of things used that, I think)?

88LXi68
06-20-2004, 07:46 AM
You guys cant forget that the 88-89 had the dual stage intake, so using a p28 or something similar is no good because they cant control the secondaries. I am not postive if the 90-91 4gs have dual intake set up, but if they do look into that ECU.

deevergote
06-20-2004, 07:54 AM
4G ECUs are no good... Can't chip em.
The P28 is one of the most commonly used ECUs for the H22m which also has secondaries. Supposedly, you can make em work. I was wonedering about that myself, but I've talked to people who love using em. The P72 (GSR) has IAB controls.

I'm getting an 86 LXi, but I may use an 88-89 engine for it.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 12:23 PM
And back from the dead it comes!!!

Sadly, Sean's ECM is out now it seems. So, I now have to worry about finding a chippable Honda ECU to play with once again! Supposedly, I can modify a chipped ECU to the point where it will run as a standalone engine control unit (as in on-the-fly real time management). The PM6 is still my best idea. Not to mention the cheapest. P28, or P72 even (for the secondaries), would be interesting, but expensive. If I can do it with an OBD-0 ECU, I would be happiest.

Smufguy has me interested in TEC3, but that's WAY too expensive for my po' ass at the moment! I'm probably going to go back to boosting the stock engine (as it is) so I wanna go cheap. I'll learn on that, and when and if i blow up the engine, I'll get another and build that one up. A20As are pretty readily availible, and if I have it rebuilt, I can get a junkyard engine and feel confident.

SO, the goal at the moment is OBD-0, romulator, and turboedit. The only questions are: will the PM6 work, and what needs to be done to it (and the car) to MAKE it work?! I've never used an ECU that didn't belong in a car before, so I really don't know where to begin.

shepherd79
08-28-2004, 12:54 PM
well, for starters you will have to convert to OBD since our EFi system is Pre OBD.
it that should be a lot of fun if you know what you are doing.
there was a guy who adapted obd-1 ECU to his accord with a help of 4G distributor.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Ah yes... I keep forgetting that our ECUs are pre-OBD and not OBD-0... Damn.
Well, 4th gens are something I know well, so I should be able to get my hands on a distributor pretty easily. If I can do that, then OBD-1 it is! Would a PO6 possibly be a good idea in that case perhaps? I know 4th gen guys who are boosting that use that ECU.

A20A1
08-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Turbo FAQ, Links to parts - engine management - do it yourself turbo manifolds and intercoolers - 4TH Gen part compatability (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169)

Direct link to 4G distributor on A20 (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=18160)

Robs89LXi
08-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey, Deevergote, where you been? I'm going to attempt the OBD-1 conversion with a P-75 as soon as I get my engine back together. I found a guy that will build the conversion harness for our PJ-0s, got my hand on a 4g distributor, and a four-wire O2 sensor with plugs for both. It'll be a couple of months before I get the engine all back together and in the car though, but by then, I should have an answer as to if it works or not. Darryl at Openloop Motorsports has supposedly done it successfully, and he says it works real good. Check out my Quicksilver project in performance section.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 07:38 PM
A20A1, I can't believe I never read that first thread! You'd think that would've been my first choice! I need to memorize that stuff!
As for the second one, I read that before and completely forgot about it. Thanks a lot!

Robs89LXi, it's great that you're making progress. I've been caught up with my house and my other car... I needed a new lawnmower, new livingroom furniture (my roommate put his bum through our old 70's couch, so it was time for new!)... The CB7 got a set of 5 BBS rims with tires and some JDM 1 piece lights with an Audi HID projector retrofit... The price was WAY too good to pass up, but the 3G had to suffer a bit. I'm still in the process of reconditioning the 3G, so any upgrades are still some time off. Since Sean is out of the game, I need to start learning so I can do what's needed when the time comes!

4 wire O2 sensor... that's what the 4th gen uses, right? I've been meaning to upgrade the O2 sensor on my CB7 anyway, so I'll just reuse the current one (which is still in good shape). I have a buddy that will sell me a decent dizzy, so I'm set there. Having great 4G contacts is GREAT when you need 4G parts :D

Robs89LXi
08-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Yeah, 4th gen has the 4-wire O2 sensor (OBD-1). Make sure you get the plugs (dizzy/O2 side + wire harness side) as well, as you will need to crimp these in.
Too bad I didn't know you had the 4G hookup. I bought a distributor on ebay from a guy in Hawaii, but it came pretty dirty. Only paid $25 bucks for it, but I hope it works. If not, I'll be giving you a shout.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Yeah, definitely. I live on www.cb7tuner.com , so I have lots of friends on there... EVERYONE is selling something.

And for $25, I hope it works. If so, you got a great deal! I haven't discussed price with my friend yet, but I'll probably be paying more than that!

How much am I looking at for a P75? If I can get something decent for $50 or less, I'll be happy. I know the P75 (being the LS ECU) is non-VTEC, so it's not really in demand. The P72 goes for over $150 everywhere! The P28 (which I still need for my H22) is up there as well... I keep watching www.car-part.com for $50 ones. They come up from time to time. (edit: HA! found a P75 on car-part for $50 in GA... too bad I can't afford it!)

Robs89LXi
08-28-2004, 07:59 PM
I picked mine up at a local junkyard for $50. It's an automatic, but it is in perfect shape. The conversion to manual is simple. I don't mind being the guinea-pig for this project if you want to wait and see how it goes first, but I won't be up and running for probably around two more months.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Ok, cool. The way things are going, I won't be able to afford anything major for a few months anyway! School starts next Wednesday, and I'm taking a heavy course load. That leaves me with Saturdays to relax, work on the cars, and see my family, friends, and girlfriend...

Is the Auto to manual conversion simple? It's SO much easier (and cheaper) to get an auto ECU. No one wants em.

Robs89LXi
08-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah, conversion is simple. Remove two resistors, solder in a jumper wire, you're done. See here:
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/OBD1CivicIntegraAutoManual