PDA

View Full Version : CV joint click?

Stegge
06-18-2004, 12:15 PM
When I turn my steering wheel back to normal position after I've made a 90deg turn I sometimes feel a click in the steering wheel. Is this the beginning of CV joint failure or is it something else?

k-roy
06-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Yea thats normal. Its starting to go out. I drove on a clicking one for 10,000 miles so there is not a big rush to get it done.

offthahook
06-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Yea thats normal. Its starting to go out. I drove on a clicking one for 10,000 miles so there is not a big rush to get it done.

True, but it won't fix itself and parts prices won't go down. Start saving now because you don't want it to snap.

T-Funk
06-18-2004, 08:39 PM
i went a year and 20,000 kms on mine when it went bad, but thats not really a smart thing to do

johnwc723
06-19-2004, 12:11 AM
i get this sort of wierd clicking/ grinding sometimes when i turn the wheel all the way to the right and drive. i guess thats the CV joint also maybe? (are those things hard to replace?)

k-roy
06-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Yea if it sounds like a wodden roller coaster then its the joint. You can get remanufactured driveshafts for about $75 a piece before the core charge. I can change one out in an hour since I have done it a few times. Anyone with a jack, jackstand, a few tools and a few hours to kill can pull it off. There is an excelent thread on replaceing the shaft in the HOWTO section of the site.

unc25
06-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey the pimp tight clicking while you turn adds HP!!! I just heard mine for the first time, I plan on ridding these guys until the snap or I get enough money...Whichever comes first.

johnwc723
06-19-2004, 11:08 PM
now is it really a bad thing to have the cv joint snap? like are you gonna fuck anything up on your car, or is it just the inconvience part?

rideredorgohome
06-23-2004, 05:44 AM
now is it really a bad thing to have the cv joint snap? like are you gonna fuck anything up on your car, or is it just the inconvience part?

Ok all I have to say to this is just get the stupid thing fixed before it happens!!! And yes, it may just screw a few things up!!!! This is also a safety issue dudes-by not fixing it ASAP you could cause a hazard to the other drivers on the road- when it happens it'll probably be at the ultimate worst moment like when ur on the freeway.

rdn
06-23-2004, 08:30 AM
well.....guess the "hazard" will be that you'll lose power instantly...:)..

hkplayer
06-23-2004, 09:26 AM
a cv joint ends up bad that way when we dont take care of the boot right away right? is changing the boot when its noticed to be ripped pricey, im guessing not?

with my first car, i left the cv joint making noise for more than a year...yikes! but still drove good other than that (but still bad, i know)

HondaBoy
06-23-2004, 10:15 AM
worn cv joints can cause a performance loss. depending on how its worn, it can be stiffer to turn the wheel, making you lose pick up speed. things that can be damaged by a snapped axle are you suspension, the wheels, transmission, or your car if it locks up and sends you spinning out of control. those are worth spending some money on replacing.