PDA

View Full Version : lags and pops randomly

bboipinoy112
06-18-2004, 06:19 PM
while im driving. while im taking off in 1st gear. it kind of like does this stall action, like it all of a sudden stops and jerks forward. iono, kind of like i step on the breaks quick and hard and then let go. but the car doesnt shut off. it keeps running.... and ANOTHER. while driving and im accelerating. it kind of bogs and laggs. and then kicks in. doesnt matter what RPM im at. just does it like randomly. and also. when i gun the car. my mufler POPS at 5.5k RPM never done that before .. whats GOING ON with my car? HELP HELP.... i did a tune-up about a month and a half ago. so i dont know what the deal is:dunno: . help me please.... some one? :sadwave:

Oyvind Ryeng
06-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Distributor perhaps?

shepherd79
06-18-2004, 07:37 PM
first check your ECU for codes. here is how to check your ECU http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=26342
second, while the car running (idling) pull the vacuum lines of the distributor.
the idle should change to worse. if you plug them back it will come back to normal idle.
third, remove distributor cap, and check for red dust or burn out contacts.
if everything checks out just fine.
try to clean TB (throttle body) with some carburator cleaner.

bboipinoy112
06-18-2004, 10:48 PM
ok. i will check the things you guys have said. get back to you tomorrow.
Any other Ideas?

86LXItooFAST4me
06-19-2004, 04:53 AM
what happens when the fuel regulator goes out? or do fuel regulators go bad?

cruznz
06-20-2004, 04:05 AM
check for fault codes as Alex has suggested...did this problem begin after you did the tune-up?.....it may be possible you could have disturbed a connector, vacuum hose or wiring for TPS, MAP, ECT....

carotman
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Mine did that when my O2 sensor was screwed up. check the voltage on the O2 sensor... there is a testing procedure in the Repair manual available on www.pauldesign.ru

contraband
06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Does it give a check engine light? If so it is in limp-mode. Otherwise as was mentioned it is possible that a sensor may have been disconnected. A friend of mine blew the vacuum line off his MAP sensor (at 18psi, heh) and it did almost exactly what you are describing.

Kevin
07-01-2004, 07:04 PM
My does that also. There is no engine code and the cap and roter are fine. I have also already cleaned intake. I think its the vacumn advance but why?? At an idle while flipping it is fine. When i get off the gas its like it pops though the exhaust. HELP!!!

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
i had that problem too, when i had gotten both my lx-i and lx.
the lx-i whould have the check engine, after a few minute's, and all i did was spark plugs and dizzy cap and rotor. . . . . .

Kevin
07-01-2004, 07:12 PM
all i did was my plugs last week!! I wish it would throw a code!! Than i could figure out what it is!!

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:15 PM
and it still pop's hmmm, have you tried advancing the timing, if the timing to retarded it's gonna lag like that . . . . . . .

Kevin
07-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Ya put fully retard and than full advanced!! It was better when advanced!! I dont know what the deal is. If the advance thingy was leaking would it do that?? Like i will drop it into 3rd and full it and ill hold it till the top end of 4th. Than makes noises and jumps when i back off!!! Maybe it loves to go fast!!! :)

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:25 PM
hmm it may idle uneasily, if you have to advance it so much then something's wrong.
try this . . . . .
with the engine fully warmed. . . . .
and advance the timing.
dissconnect line two, cover the vac port so the engine won't shut off, listen and see if the rpm's dropped a lil'
then connect it back to see if it raised back up.
and try the other line, it play's some what a part too. . . . . hopefully this'll help.

ohhh when you push the gas and it kick's in that's the secondaries opening . .it's like a supercharger.

**********3 GEEZ 4 LIFE**********

Kevin
07-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Ya the idle does change when i do that!! Than goes normal when reconnect them. Why would the engine shut off?? Mine just ran. It sounded a little ronchy because the vac lines are off but it still ran!!

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:41 PM
ohh well that;s happened to me sometime's, but you should do it one at a time.

wait back up here what do you mean when you wrote:

like i will drop it into 3rd and full it and i'll hold ittill the top end of forth.
than make's noise and jumps when i back off. umm i'm kinda tired so the honda memory is kinda slow LOL . . .

what kinda noise????

Kevin
07-01-2004, 07:45 PM
pops and sputters and jumps!!!

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:52 PM
is it auto or stick . . . .
so you have it in 3rd and you floor it, and once the tach reaches 4,000rpm's, you then shift it into 4th gear and it does that or vice-versa. . . . .

Kevin
07-01-2004, 08:23 PM
It is stick- ill be driving in 5th gear and it will be acting up and i drop into 3rd and shift at like 6500 and run through 4th gear!! It doesnt effect accerleration at WOT!! It just lags and pops cruising and regular driving!!!

accordlxi2.0
07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
hmmm and you gave it a full tune up? . . . . .
let me ask ya what yo have listed at the bottom are your mod's right????

34748lxi
07-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Greetings fellow 3g owners. I am just a noob here but here is an interesting story that may help. I just bought an 86 a couple of weeks ago and it has (had) a similar problem. It would have this wot lag up until 3500 and just take off after that. I discovered the timing belt was fairly new and at first just assumed that it was installed correctly. I was wrong. When I lined up tdc on the flywheel I could see with the valve cover off the cam gear was way too advanced. But when I went to loosen the timing belt and line up all the marks, all the power was before 3500 and diminished after that. I then retarded the cam by 1 tooth and boom it runs great all the way thru redline. I still have the original cap, rotor and wires from 1986 (120k) and it will still bark 2nd! It's an auto too!

accordlxi2.0
07-02-2004, 07:15 PM
that's good . . . . . .
what ya got dx, lx, lx-i

34748lxi
07-02-2004, 07:48 PM
lxi, of course I will replace those long overdue parts. Pretty decent condition for it's age. Don't care for automatic but maybe that will change one day. Don't really want to mod it out too much(except for those original 13 inch alloys, they gotta go!)I just want to get all the little problems worked out, get something to replace that original Honda radio, window tint, cai, and some new paint. I'll be happy with that. Sorry, I won't go on and on here, might be in wrong thread.

Justin86
07-03-2004, 03:30 PM
It is stick- ill be driving in 5th gear and it will be acting up and i drop into 3rd and shift at like 6500 and run through 4th gear!! It doesnt effect accerleration at WOT!! It just lags and pops cruising and regular driving!!!
Yea it's funny that my car just doing this last night for some reason. Go to subway to eat and 10mins later it runs like shit. No codes, runs got at WOT but regular it pops and once you let off the gas it falls on it's face. I'm totally lost. Haven't had time to fully check everything but from what I know it act's like it's the MAP sensor. How it's works good at WOT but at low air flows it's shit. :dunno:

Kevin
07-03-2004, 09:08 PM
CHeck your vacumn diafram!! Mine had the same problem. There is a rubber O ring that borders the distributor and the vacumn advance. On mine the o ring was all distorted and my casue casueing it to leak vacumn!!! Good luck!!!

No i do not have N20 any more!! I had a 50 shot on the car for like 5 mos!! It all some series ass with that N20!! :rockon: :lock:

Justin86
07-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Well now my car won't start......... I'll give the O ring a try when I'm not so pissed off.

Justin86
07-04-2004, 06:31 PM
well I checked my spark and the coil isn't putting out jack. So I check the fuses again and they are still good for the 2nd time, which leads to the MAIN relay...........

Justin86
07-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Ok so I checked the main relay twice and then tested my coil for the ohms. I had a hard time getting a reading the numbers kept jumping up and down????? I tested my other coil and it was giving me pretty much the same numbers. The first test showed that it was above the recomended, 2nd was ok and the third was over recomend, but both coils had the same reading? Do I have two bad coils that just happen to put out the same reading or is the problem somewhere else? I checked the ignitor unit for the ohms, the book said should be 750 ohms and I was getting nothing. So off to the j/y again in search of another one..............

bboipinoy112
07-06-2004, 04:13 PM
so its alot deeper then i thought. argh. well i havnt been driving my car for about 2 weeks now since its started. but since the two weeks. i have been replacing or tuning up the car. spark plugs/wires, oil/filter change. dizzy/rotor. and tranny fluid. fuel filter, 02 sensor. used carb cleaner to clean manifold. and i have ran out of ideas to do rather then big replacement parts. i may start replacing sensors even tho they may not be fault. i just want to change em since they havnt been changed ever. . . but JUSTIN86. keep us updated please. thanks.

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 04:48 PM
ummm what's wrong with your car???

bboipinoy112
07-06-2004, 05:02 PM
ummm what's wrong with your car???
Edit* rude post. so ill revise. i started this thread. so yea. :sad2:

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 05:06 PM
oh sorry i just read the thread , but it's still not runnin' right??
after all that you've done to it???

Justin86
07-06-2004, 06:46 PM
well I checked into the ingitor unit and they are $92....... yea ouch. So I'm going to run through stuff again to see if I can think of something else before I buy it.

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 07:03 PM
can you get one from the junk yard . . . . . . .

bboipinoy112
07-06-2004, 07:06 PM
yea it still acts up..

shepherd79
07-07-2004, 03:53 AM
have you checked your timing? get yourself a timing light and check it.

Justin86
07-07-2004, 07:31 AM
I tried going to the j/y but they are a bunch of idiots there, they could find where they put the 3G engines at??? I'm going back to look for my self today, see if I can get a five finger discount. I don't want to pay $92 to find out thats not my problem.

accordlxi2.0
07-07-2004, 08:15 AM
tell me about it, at my j/y it seem's the tec dizzy's are rare like a 3g se-i or prelude si.
but i found 3 of them and i copped them all, and only one worked . . . .

Justin86
07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_110_full.jpg
Ok so following the book to test the dist. and ingitor unit..........
My dist resiatance in ohms is 637 when it should be 750, and I tested my extra pick up(which worked fine when I pulled it) and it read 657. Also when I test for voltage I get nothing. When I test the ignitor for resistance between D and ground I get nothing, tested one at the j/y and it was the same. So I guess I need a ignitor and maybe a pick-up coil, and I suppose that sends a signal to the coil for it to shoot some juice, reason why I have no spark?

Justin86
07-07-2004, 05:41 PM
well I solved one problem now I have another. The ingitor unit is the cause of no spark. Now the engine won't start...........

accordlxi2.0
07-07-2004, 06:19 PM
u mean like it won't crank or what?
check for code's might be a bad crank sensor, since your ignitor was bad . . . .

*****3 GEEZ 4 LIFE!*****

Justin86
07-07-2004, 09:52 PM
no it cranks good, has good spark, but it won't start. It attempted to start(backfire) then it just keeps cranking. It kind of acts like the distrubotor is 180 off but I check and all the timing is perfect. checked the voltage and ohms at the injectors and they were good??????????

Oyvind Ryeng
07-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Is the ignition timing right? Spark on all plugs? Mixed up two plugwires? Wet plugs from fuel, or dry plugs from no fuel?

Justin86
07-08-2004, 10:21 AM
plug wires are good ignition is most likely off but I have no way of making it perfect, since I don't have the correct flywheel, so it's ballpark. fuel pump works, and the plugs are wet, I think so, they are not soaked in gas but they smell like it. The spark plugs all have good spark. checked the fuses again and no problems, no loose wires I could find.

accordlxi2.0
07-08-2004, 10:28 AM
hmm in that case, well when cranking have you tried having the gas pedal at WOT.
i know it may sound stupid, but the same thing happened to me (with the lxi) and the next day after cranking and cranking, i figure i probaly flooded it, i WOT and she fire right up.
i mean you've been cranking and cranking the past couple of day's so this could be it. . . . .

Justin86
07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
ha ha ha yea I tired that, it's the trick when you flood your carb, too bad I'm EFI. I can't figure it out, timing is correct, I have spark and fuel, what else?????????

accordlxi2.0
07-08-2004, 01:52 PM
umm no i had an lx-i too.
the same thing happened with me.
i was running fine one day then was acting up and it did'nt wanna start when i got home, . . . . . .my dad kept cranking and cranking.
once i found the prob. i cranked again, floored it and it started right up, with a cloud of smoke.

you know does your check engine light come on for 2 second's then go off.
and does the led light stay on or is it contsantly off. . . .

Justin86
07-08-2004, 02:33 PM
no engine codes, and it dosen't want to attempt to start at all, just pure starter crank.

accordlxi2.0
07-08-2004, 06:51 PM
does the led light at all??

Justin86
07-09-2004, 06:26 AM
it comes on at first like allways then will turn off after a few seconds.

Justin86
07-09-2004, 08:04 AM
well since nothing was going right and I could find nothing wrong I went back to the start. Check the timing for TDC (camgear and flywheel line up perfect) ignition is not perfect but close to where it sould start. Then I go to the compression........... 0, 0, 0, 0 across the board..... hum sounds like something is not right like the valves are staying open. I'm going to pull the valve cover and get a visual........

Vinny
07-09-2004, 08:17 AM
I was ythinking that last night after we talked. I know you said you went back to the stock cam, I was wondering if the valves were adjusted afterwards. You and that POS car :D

accordlxi2.0
07-09-2004, 08:22 AM
oh, something does'nt seem right for sure.
i thought the ecu went dead . . . . .
i did'nt know ya had a aftermarket cam and then went to stock. . . . . .

Oyvind Ryeng
07-09-2004, 09:27 AM
0 compression? Wtf? Is the head even bolted to the block? Waaay overtight valve clearances? Headgasket busted around all cylinders?

Justin86
07-09-2004, 10:31 AM
well the verdict is in fucked up valves........
when I first put the stock cam in I didn't set the lash so it was way off and the timing was off a bit. I cranked it a few times before I realized. :sadwave:
I'm pulling the head to see how bad it is, but I have another head that is P&P and getting the combustion chambers welded currently. I called the guy and told him I need it ASAP.

accordlxi2.0
07-09-2004, 01:40 PM
get that baby up and running, it's a damn shame that it was that though . . . .
not being a smart ass or anything, but with the valve's messed up, would'nt you notice due to the change of how the engine sounded up on start up . . .

Justin86
07-09-2004, 07:07 PM
You really can't hear any difference. I'm pretty sure it was caused by the valve lash being too tight, which pushed the valves down more then normal
here is the damage, the exhaust is good but intake is trashed.......
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_111_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_112_full.jpg

accordlxi2.0
07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
oh man, did'nt take you no time at all, to get that off huh?
i was wondering i was at the j/y one time and i seen a 3g with the heads off, the pistons had 4 indentations per piston, umm why???

bboipinoy112
07-09-2004, 07:49 PM
hMmm. so if i didnt have any bolt ons like you did.then wth. maybe perhaps. i have a bad case of exhaust leaks, will it do that? cause i got some bad backfire-ing when trying to gun it in 2nd or 3rd gear? and like a month or so ago. i was able to touch 6500 rpms. now i cant even pass first mark of red. ARGH. frustration. i love my hatch. but i dont want to junk it. :sadwave: help? still.....

Oyvind Ryeng
07-09-2004, 10:44 PM
when I first put the stock cam in I didn't set the lash so it was way off and the timing was off a bit.
Nooo, this sucks! But what is this "lash"? Is it cam to rocker-arm clearance?

accordlxi2.0
07-10-2004, 06:26 AM
yea , i belive so, their's like a certain amount and from what he said, when he put the stock back on, their was no clearance , which in turn push the valve a bit further down then they normaly should go, plus he said the timing was off, so i think that contribute to the damaged valve's than the clearance . . . . . . .
what i'm wondering is why did you go back to stock cam . . . .
was something wrong . . . . .

Justin86
07-10-2004, 06:03 PM
yea the main thing was all of sudden the car wouldn't idle and was sputtering really bad. Ever since I put this delta cam in it would not idle at all and I had to adjust the throttle cable to up the revs. So I was hopping that the stock cam would help solve some of my idle problems.
The head is a peice of cake 90mins taking my time.

AccordAddict
07-11-2004, 08:14 AM
hmm my car started doing this also when i got my new muffler. maybe its just backpressure popping out.

Justin86
07-11-2004, 11:02 PM
what ever this problem is it pretains to EFI it seems like. I got the new head on, and $100 ingitor unit and my car still spuders, even worse now. It has to be something with the EFI system, ECU perhaps, MAP sensor, or something.

accordlxi2.0
07-12-2004, 08:11 AM
if it's not giving a code it's gotta be the ecu.
check where that led light is to check for code's and if it on constanty it's the ecu . . .

Vinny
07-12-2004, 08:18 AM
what grind is that delta cam Justin? Is it bigger than the 272???????

Justin86
07-12-2004, 08:54 AM
no I just have the 272 which shouldn't mess with the idle at all, and it did which is weird? I'm going to slap the stock cam in today and redo the lash before I crank it over this time. ;)
I all most think it is the ECU but it dosen't throw any codes and I don't have my extra ECU anymore to swap it out. But I'm pretty sure the problem is some where in the EFI system.

Justin86
07-12-2004, 07:56 PM
well I took it for a drive, it idles like ass, and sputters even worse now, the engine dosen't rev as fast, and it has no power. The car would fall on it's face when I let out the clutch and it barely even moved until it hit the power peak in the cam at 3K but that didn't do crap. So I put the stock camshaft in and wow it just purs at idle. It still really sputters bad, and won't rev that fast, but I have about the power of a old carb now instead of a lawn mower like this morning.
So the problem was really bad, but right now it is better to the point where I can drive it but that is it, also the engine run at a really low temp also. weird?

Justin86
07-17-2004, 04:42 PM
So I finally had time to work on Tasha a bit today, after talking more to people to get new ideas and a clue of whats going on.............. the engine will start to sputter at just above 1K and it's not really noticable except for the rpms jumping +/- 50. As I rev is slightly rev it more the you can hear the sputtering more and the rpm still jump by +/- 50. At 2800 all of sudden the rpms jump to 3300 and the sputtering stops. I slightly let off the gas and it drops to 2600. in this period of 1000-2800 the engine is slow to rev up and when I go WOT there is lag. When I'm at 3300 the engine revs up like normal and it dosen't bog.
what you guys think? I still think it is an electrical problem maybe the MAP. I'm going to the j/y tomorrow in search or another MAP and ECU.

accordlxi2.0
07-17-2004, 04:45 PM
no code's??
does the light blink or stay blank??

Justin86
07-17-2004, 07:11 PM
no code's??
does the light blink or stay blank??
Damn this is the 5th time I have answered this........................

the only code I get is the code 6 for the coolant TW sensor, which has been
bad for over a year now and I don't feel like paying the $60 for a new one right now.

contraband
07-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Dont know if anyone has already posted this, but have you replaced your O2 sensor any time recently? If that is getting no/false readings, the ECU wont know how much gas to feed it and the idle will be very rich and not that stable. I had this problem just recently, could not figure out why the car wouldnt idle correctly, and a new O2 sensor fixed most of the problems. Just a guess!

Justin86
07-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Well I had the 89 Y-1 ECU in there and I swaped in a Y-2 ECU and the problem went away, it runs sooooooooo smooth. :)

accordlxi2.0
07-18-2004, 04:18 PM
congrat's . .
knew it was the ecu . .

Justin86
07-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Yea now I just need to get build head on it with a B16 intake........... Sean?

Oyvind Ryeng
07-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Did you not get a constant "check engine" light?

AccordAddict
07-19-2004, 01:09 PM
how much is it for ECU's? what is the purpose of switching an ECU?

Oyvind Ryeng
07-19-2004, 02:56 PM
how much is it for ECU's? what is the purpose of switching an ECU?
A new PJ0 from the dealer here is USD$3,000 (no joke). Needless to say, if I break my ECU i get another one from the junkyard.

The purpose of switching the ECU is to make the car run again.

AccordAddict
07-19-2004, 06:00 PM
What are advanced ECU's used for?

Oyvind Ryeng
07-20-2004, 04:20 AM
What are advanced ECU's used for?
Are you kidding?

Justin86
07-20-2004, 09:56 AM
ECU's = 5 finger discount..... :D

no it was just throwing a code 6................