PDA

View Full Version : dead alternator?

ztron
06-19-2004, 09:51 AM
adding to the list of problems with my car...
anyway, my battery light came on a few days ago, but i didn't think too much of it since it eventually turned off. now yesterday it came on and stayed on. i was planning on taking it to autozone to get the battery and alternator tested out the next day, but the car died before then. here is exactly what happened.

it had been raining pretty hard the last few days. when the battery light was on i noticed my wipers were working slower than normal. last night i was driving home and noticed all my lights, exterior and interior, were slowly dimming. they everntually completley dimmed out and i pulled the car into a parking lot where it shut off. i sat there for a little while and then tried starting it. it wouldn't turn at all and just made a single click noise. i'm pretty sure it's not the battery, because i just bought a new one a couple of months ago. the clock, radio, and lights were also still working when i had the ignition on. when i would try to start it, everything would dim completely out and then come back on when i just left the ignition turned on. i think it's the alternator but figured i would ask for some suggestions. i'm going to try to jump it tonight.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Sure sounds like an alternator.

To test: With a charged battery start the car and let it idle. Using a volt meter on the battery it should ready something like 13.5v (or something around there)

another test would be to remove the positive lead from the battery while its idling. the alt ~should~ keep the car running. Ive never tried this method so dont quote me on it.

ztron
06-19-2004, 11:49 AM
but if the alternator is dead, the car won't start at all right? it most likely drained my battery too, even though i still had power with the ignition on.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 01:34 PM
well...charge the battery back up first via battery charger.

ztron
06-19-2004, 07:11 PM
i had to jump the car. i let it charge up for about 15 minutes, keeping the other car around 2,000 RPMs. it was the only thing i could do to try to get the car to my house so i could fix it. i'm almost 100% positive that it's the alternator now. i had to jump it again on the way home because it drained all the way down again. i plan on installing a new alternator and belt tomorrow afternoon. i was just wondering how hard the process was. i've read posts saying you need to drop the axle, but i really do not want to do that, as i don't have the proper tools to do that. i just want to unbolt it and pull it out and pop the new stuff in...even if it takes me hours to remove it without dropping the axle.

pimp86LX
06-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Well my book says to pop out the lower ball joint to remove it, but all you really have to do is kinda Manuver it underneath the intake manifold and up out the other side.

Civvy
06-20-2004, 02:33 AM
if yours is the 3rd gen lude? it is mounted on the front of the engine and should'nt have any thing obstucting its removal? for cheapness i'd get it in the shop and ask them to check if it only needs brushes! Only cost me £30 to have mine cleaned up and rebrushed! the guy said the rest of the alternator was in suprisingly good condition for a 18yr old car! = HONDA

ztron
06-20-2004, 03:31 PM
it's a 3rd gen accord with a carb...
i worked on it all afternoon and could not get the alternator out. it took awhile just to get it unbolted and free because there is so much stuff in the way. looks like the only way is to drop the axle. it definately would not come out the back by the firewall to the passenger side. it almost looked like i could have taken it through the top if i could have removed one small bracket, but one of the screws was stripped. i'm probably going to have it towed tomorrow unless i can drop the axle myself....nothing i've done before and i probably don't have the right tools. anyone have any experience with this?

bullard123
06-20-2004, 05:12 PM
YEAH Thats your alternator bro. If you have anything that sucks a lot of juice like a system I would recommend you get a alternator with more amps. I also heard rumors that it will be about $500 to replace it because it sits by the wheel axle. Well, at least it does in my lxi hatch. I got lucky because when I bought my car they had just replaced the alternator.

ztron
06-20-2004, 07:10 PM
i know it's the alternator. i already bought a new one for around $100. i'm just having a hell of a time trying to get the old one out without dropping the axle. i am going to take a stab at it again tomorrow by taking it through the back by the firewall and out the passenger side. i'm just going to disconnect everything that is connected back there. it really doesn't look like there is enough clearance though. i already have all of the air cleaner stuff and all of the vacuum and coolant hoses and other crap on the right side of the carb removed. i think if i can get the one bracket off on the right of the carb, then i can take it right through the top. the nut is stripped though and there isn't much room to work. i don't think i could even fit a dremel in there to cut a slot in the nut. i'll probably have to drill and tap the shit out if i can't get it out through the firewall. anyone have any experience with this?

pimp86LX
06-20-2004, 08:01 PM
when i took mine out, it actually went smoothly. I took the breather box and all the intake stuff outta the way and all it took was some wiggling and turning and "Mguiver-ing" to get it free.

ztron
06-21-2004, 07:22 AM
is yours carbed though? there is some type of metal piece at the bottom, right in the middle of the car, that is in the way for taking it by the firewall. i was looking at it this morning and it appears there are only two bolts holding it there. i'm going to try to take that off and see if it will fit. i really don't want to have it towed, as i've already dumped enough money into this car and i think the engine is on it's way out too. i just need a car to get me where i need to go. i'm trying to get my VW fixed and inspected today. hopefully that comes through for me at least. i'll get some pictures up soon to show what i have taken apart and what's keeping me from removing it. we actually tried taking the alternator apart in pieces to get it out...

if i could only remove this one bracket on the right of the carb with the stripped nut, i think it would come out the top. i'd probably have to disconnect the master cylinder too though....

ztron
06-26-2004, 05:29 PM
alright, i finally got the old alternator out today by taking it along the firewall. i didn't have to remove any brackets like i thought. i did have to remove another heater hose on the passenger side and loosen some other stuff to get it out. it wasn't easy, but i got it. i thought the new one was going to be a pain to fit back in, but it went right in. i didn't start working on it until later in the evening, so i won't have everything hooked back up until tomorrow. i did notice some type of small vacuum hose or electrical connection that wasn't connected. i think it may have came off last weekend when trying to get the alternator out. everything else i have labeled or know where it goes. i may have some problems trying to figure out where that goes. i will get pics posted tomorrow if i run into any problems to see if anyone on here can help me out.

thanks to everyone who posted and gave me suggestions. i just put my mind to it and eventually got the mother out.
:)

ztron
06-29-2004, 07:58 PM
it's up and running again. i think the problems from when the car overheated are still haunting me. tons of smoke pours out of what i think is a lower intake manifold, maybe exhaust manifold. it was pretty dark out and i didn't have a light. i'm thinking it's just a blown gasket...hopefully. it's right in the front of the car, dead center. i'll post pics tomorrow.