PDA

View Full Version : Oilpressure gauge

dXsquared
06-19-2004, 01:43 PM
i read a few posts... it looks like a prety huge deal... it seems that it would be best if i took the whole oil filter holder off my old engine, put the adapter in, and then swapped it into my car.. htere isnt alot of room to work on it when its in the car unless i take the whole intake manifold off... i could, but i really dont want to drain the coolant...

any tips and tricks?? i already have the tube ran, but hookin the sensor up is gonna be a prick

BTW.. its a mech. gauge

Travis

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-19-2004, 02:10 PM
The problem with taking off the oil filter base is that you have to remove either the oil pressure switch or the adapter for your mechanical gauge. Thus, it is probably best to install the adapter while the base is attached to the engine. I think Vinny mentioned before that he used a short wrench to remove the top oil filter base bolt (w/o removing the sensor), but I wasn't succesfull at doing the same. So your best bet is probably to unscrew the stock sensor (24mm wrench BTW) and install the adapter while working from underneath the car. Also, if you remove the airbox, you can get a decent view of the top of the oil filter base. With a helper to look from the top with a flashlight, you can simplify the process. Hope this helps.

P.S.: I just changed my oil filter base gasket and removing and then lining up the base is a pain in itself, even after I removed the sensor.

dXsquared
06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
ok.. if i take the sensor out while its on the car, will i need to drain the oil??

Travis

soljaboy2000
06-19-2004, 03:02 PM
I also wanted to know a lil info about addiing an oil pressure guage such as if you take the stock sensor out, would it cause the oil light to constantly stay on and confuse the car that the pressure is low and affect the performance in any way?

BITESIZE
06-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Just take the light out of the dash and run your new gauge....won't effect performance.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-20-2004, 07:42 PM
And you don't have to drain the oil to remove the sensor. You do still need to remove the oil filter so a drain pan is necessary.

soljaboy2000
06-20-2004, 08:34 PM
how come you have to remove the oil filter if the sensor is on top??

Vinny
06-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Because the filter os bigger around then the base and its pretty hard to get something down to it from above, I can PROBABLY get to it with an extension, a flex extension and I think I found that a standard 12 point socket gripped it better than the metric one did.

I didnt have ANY problems using the open end of a VERY small 10mm wrench to get the top bolt out. It was just a VERY sllow process. I'll be doing it again soonm on the hatch, I'll take a pic or 3 if I remember to

dXsquared
06-20-2004, 08:46 PM
when i pull the huge sensor out, i wont have an adapter that fits the hole... i only got some little ones... or is tehre a tiny hole where the sensor goes??

Travis

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
when i pull the huge sensor out, i wont have an adapter that fits the hole... i only got some little ones... or is tehre a tiny hole where the sensor goes??

Travis

The sensor is only big at the top. The part that threads into the oil filter base is pretty small. If you have an assortment of adapters, you should be able to find one that fits. Hope this helps.

dXsquared
06-21-2004, 10:41 AM
it helps alot.. thanks guys

3geez.com is the shizznit lol

Travis

Vinny
06-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Travis, If i can find my old sensor I pulled off the spare motor I will give you the thread size on it. That should help ya get an adapter.

dXsquared
06-21-2004, 11:02 AM
thanks Vinny.. that would save me tonnes of time fuckin with all the adapters i got...

Travis

od2681
06-21-2004, 12:55 PM
can someone post a how-to on this..pls

dXsquared
06-21-2004, 12:57 PM
ill make one

Travis