PDA

View Full Version : I fixed my antenna

kruddler
06-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I was at the junk yard today getting a new main relay. When I removed the relay I noticed that there was a hole in the frame that the antenna went threw. I thought it over and came to the conclusion that the dash did not have to be removed to fix this problem. I searched for a few cars and found a antenna in good shape and started to remove it. I removed the fuse box and got myself another relay. I disconnected the antenna from the motor and pulled it up and out. No problem at all.

When I got home I unbolted the fuse box and removed the main relay. I disconnected about half of the wire harnesses to get the fuse box far enough out of the way. I unbolted the 12mm mounting bolt for the antenna motor and detached the clip connecting the plastic tubing to the motor. I removed the motor and took the cover off and disconnected the antenna from the motor. There was dirt, rust and lots of harden crud in the gears of the motor. I cleaned it up really good. I took some weed wacker line and taped it to the end of the antenna and pulled it up and out. I cut it off and taped the weed wacker line to the new antenna and pulled it down. I connected the antenna back to the motor and reassembled the motor. Had a little bit of a problem getting the retaining clip back on. I bolted the motor back in. I replace the main relay with the one I got at the junk yard. Bolted the fuse box back and reconnect the wire harness. I pushed the antenna advance/retract button and the antenna went up and down.

I thought it was relatively easy to replace and see no reason why anyone in this forum should drive around with a broken antenna. The antenna only cost me $1.00 at the junk yard and took about 2 hours to fix.

shepherd79
06-19-2004, 06:48 PM
i did the same thing and it works great.

Vanilla Sky
06-19-2004, 07:14 PM
to me, it's a very worthwhile upgrade in the DX models, too... might not look too shabby relocated to the rear quarter, either