PDA

View Full Version : 4th gear?

bobsaccord
06-20-2004, 07:34 AM
ok maybe you guys can help me out, when im on the high way and im in 3rd gear, i got to shift down to 4th, you kno hit the clutch bring it down from 3rd to 4th, but when i bring it down i feel a grinding noise in the stick, and the clutch is still pressed in???? i dont even want to let go of it god knows what will happen?? so i go from 3rd to 5th? whats going on?? :help:

k-roy
06-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Im gonna say either the gear is stripped or the synchro is gone.
You can try changing the fluid with Honda MTF to see if that helps with the synchro.
If that does not work out plan on replacing the tranny.

bobsaccord
06-20-2004, 10:20 AM
this is a weird car!!! i was just on the high way and i shifted into 4th just fine?? no grinding or nothing, i have no idea whats going on maybe i wasnt shifting right?

Rendon LX-i
06-20-2004, 12:13 PM
OHHHH BOI. lol.

HondaBoy
06-20-2004, 12:54 PM
then its probley the syncro. that would be most likely. my friend has burned out his syncros. when he first started driving it, it would scratch the gears, now he can usually get them to go in smoothly with no grinding. but if someone else drives it, it scratches. i believe those are fairly easy to replace on the 3gee tranny, still needs a good mechanic that knows how to work on tranny's though.

keruhas184
06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
yeah i get some of that grinding too sometimes. So i shift at the right rpms and speed now, and put the gear in all the way before releasing the clutch. Oh, and rev it up if you downshift, cause I believe that what screws up the tranny if you don't.

You might want to try adjusting the clutch, there is an adjustment screw right of the battery by the radiator hose. Counter clock-wise to tighten the gear. Use search for more info if you're interested.