PDA

View Full Version : camber with prelude A arms

AZmike
07-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I recently go a pair of 2nd generation prelude A arms since my upper ball joints have gone bad. I wanted to know where to attach the new prelude ball joints to keep my camber correct. I'm still running stock suspension. Do I make the arm as short as possible, or somewhere in the middle maybe? Or is setting the arm length something for a front-end alignment shop to do?

Thanks

Also, there was another prelude with upper arms still. i can get them for $40 for the pair if someone is having trouble finding them and will pay shipping.

RCracer
07-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Im interested in the answer to this too as I have just got a set of arms and new ball joints/bushes and they will be going on as soon as I have had chance to put a coat of paint on them.
My car is lowered by 1.5inchs so shouldn't be too far from stock but looking from the front you can see the negative camber.
All I was going to do was put them on at their furthest out and measure the camber (with a spirit level against the riim edges) and set them so that the spirit level said they are verticle.
There is no-one local to me that can do a suspention alignment other than a tracking check. AHHHHHHH

jigga225
07-19-2002, 05:54 PM
WHen I did my 2 inch drop with the prelude arms.
I slid the ball joint all the way to the inside (towards the motor). And that was the closest, when I took it for an alignment, they didnt move it so that was the best I could get. The camber is still .21 degree off though.... I'll jsut have to live wit it.

MoonScryer
07-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Increase the length of the channel the balljoint sits in. Don't need very much, since you are so close to straight.

AZmike
07-20-2002, 10:16 AM
So for a stock upper arm length using prelude arms i need to lengthen the channel so that the total length of the arm is shorter than for a prelude standard am, right? Or does the channel only need to be lengthened for lowered cars that need extra long upper arms?

Also how would you recommend that I lengthen it? How difficult is it to drill through?

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
So for a stock upper arm length using prelude arms i need to lengthen the channel so that the total length of the arm is shorter than for a prelude standard am, right? Or does the channel only need to be lengthened for lowered cars that need extra long upper arms?

Also how would you recommend that I lengthen it? How difficult is it to drill through? :confused:
You totally confused me.

Let me see if I can help in this topic. First of all, "our" original stock upper arms cannot be moddified and are not adjustable to camber settings.

Second, if you have prelude arms and you drop your car, the only way you would want the joits to go is "outwards" towards the fender side.
Reason behind that is, when a car is dropped the tires will sit at an angle with the "upper" side of tire facing inwards. As a result the contact patch on the floor will be minimal and most of the contact between the tire and ground will be the inside of the tire and the wall of the tire.
This is why you will see alot of cars with drops and the tires perfectly good untill you look down and stick your head behind the tire, then you'll notice that your tire wall is getting ripped to shreads.

The prelude arm and camber kits solve most of this problem by extending the arm "outwards" to correct the angled wheel once the car is dropped.
Predlude arms can only go so far, so in other words if you plan on dropping your car to the ground "nasty style" like me :D even the prelude arms might need a little modifiying to further extend the balljoints outwards a bit more.

I hope you guys can understand what I wrote. Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

AZmike
07-24-2002, 12:25 PM
No, my car isn't lowered at all (yet). I was curious if the Prelude arms came longer than the Accord arms stock. That would mean that I would have to change the channel to make the Prelude arms as long as the stock Accord arms.

From what you said it sounds like I would not have to modifiy the Prelude arm at all since I am still at stock ride height. The channel only needs to be lengthened if I lower my car... a lot.

Thanks

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Pretty much yes! Remember the Prelude arms are adjustable the accord arms are NOT.