PDA

View Full Version : Bad Carburetor Leading To Bad Gas Milage?

MIK3
06-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Hmm. I was just wondering if my mechanic was right. This is an exclusive Honda/Acura mechanic. He says that my carburetor needs to be rebuilt (i've mentioned this before). Anyway, he says that pretty much is the reason my gas milege is only in the high 19's when it should be a ton higher, city wise. When I get my carburetor rebuilt, will I noticed the difference, or is he just giving me another reason to rebuild?

88accordhb
06-20-2004, 10:23 PM
yes there was a gas-milage thread inwhich some claim that cleaning their carb helps. for me it was the way i drive, i used to floor it everytime and get bout 210 to the tank and when i take it easy for a week i get bout 300.

A20A1
06-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Rebuilding the carburetor is one thing... and is always a good idea if it hasn't been done. But also there are all the other vacuum lines to check and or replace... one vacuum leak can have a big impact, though in most cases a vacuum leak can mean a lean mixture... unless it's to the Choke opener, ignition advance diaphragm or secondary diaphragm... you never know.

Also check the basics.
- Oil
- Tire pressure / allignment
- Cooling system
- Electrical connections and Ignition components

MIK3
06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, I have all the basics down pat. Check up on them every week. This is good news then. Right now I'm getting about 280miles/tank. Hopefully I'll get into the mid 300's by the time this is rebuilt. Thanks guys for the help.