PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Trim?

Mattphi
06-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Ok so i have bought just about everything on the market to take the oxidation off of the bumper trim and to make it black again... nothing worked...SO i was out lookin around the other day and ran across some paints. I dont wanna use any spray paint stuff that might chip off. Some said "bumper restorer" and stuff and it was in a spray can in the paint section. Someone help me with this crap because its been on my last nerve since i bought this car. THanks

k-roy
06-21-2004, 12:02 PM
I painted the entire bumper with bumper/trim primer and paint. It looks great. You could do just the exposed trim if you do a good job as masking the rest off.
The hard part is getting it super clean, to the point that all the Armor all or whatever you used is gone first.

Vinny
06-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Look at the latest pics I posted in the pics section or on my sig. I painted mine last weekend. ONLY thing is you would be wise to wait to fo it. Its too humid down here right now. The humidity doesnt let the paint atomize worth a damn comming out of the can. It "spits" alot. I'll need to go back and wet sand the bumpers to try and get em smooth.

I used an adhesion promoting primer, tried some bumper paint and some krylon fusion. The shot some clear over them. I picked everything up at walmart, along with a few green 3m pads to smooth out some of the spots in the bumper. Just make sure the hunidity is VERY low before you try it. Like November :D

Busted_Blue
06-21-2004, 12:35 PM
try this product "forever black". Alot of integra members from teamintegra.net reccomend it and I have no reason to doubt them. They reccomend some fairly good items to use in keeping the car conditioned.

88accordalltheway
06-21-2004, 12:49 PM
go to kragens and get bumper paint. I did all the trim around my car with it. It came out alright, but i still need to learn how and when to peel the tape cause on some parts i peeled the paint off with the tape and i just filled in the blank spots with sharpe. Only thing i say to do is to sand b4 you paint and make sure its clean and dry.Oh, and do a good tape job. The newer pics in my cardomain site has all the trim painted. compare it to the old ones, it a big difference. Good luck with the paintng or whatever you use.

shepherd79
06-21-2004, 03:16 PM
here is what i did like 2 weeks ago.
i bought some bumper trim paint (black) by Duplicolor, and some clear adhesion promoter for plastic by duplicolor.
i masked everything with paper and regular masking tape. i bought special painters paper from lowe's. it should be near masking tapes.
after i taped everything i want to tape. i used some kind of stripper, i think it is called prep all or something like that. it will remove wax and polish in one swipe. it is green bottle at body work section in autozone.
after you clean everything, the trim should be nice and dry.
i sprayed with adhesive promoter, 2-3 coats. let it dry 2-3 minutes.
after that final coat of adhesive promoter, start spraying the bumper paint. don't try to cover all at ones. you just can't do it. do one light coat. wait a few minutes. spray another coat.
keep spraying untill you get to the point where you like it.
the paint will shine when it is wet. but when it dries it will turn flat.
my trim looks like new.

Wood9669
06-21-2004, 03:18 PM
i used armor-all and it worked perfectly on all the black trim things on the rear bumper and along the doors. unless im thinking of something different than what your talking about?

johndej
06-21-2004, 07:15 PM
i use armor-all but it washes off in the rain and seems to look funny on the paint if you miss and hit it.

Mattphi
06-21-2004, 07:31 PM
yea...vinny i saw ur trim and it looks great. Mine is to the point of completely whitish grey and it sucks ass...i will probably go out and buy some stuff tomorrow

Vinny
06-21-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm tellin ya, you don't wanna try and paint it right now though. Its gonna end up with bubbles and high paint spots from the humidity. Trust me on this I'm only a lil over an hour and 1/2 or so north of ya. Its not worth the time it takes to tape and mask to end up with a shitty job because of the humidity. Mine looks good from a distance, but not so good up close

Mattphi
06-21-2004, 10:33 PM
ook nvm then

sporkHSP
06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
haha, i just painted mine today... i used adhesion promoter and black primer then after it was dark enough, i coated it with clear wheel coating (all Dupli-Color products), after a few coats of the clear coat it looks nice and shinny satin, like you just armoralled the bumpers... i was board, and if worse comes to worse i can strip it all if it starts to look bad... but well see...

EDIT* i dont recommend using this process for the rubber tho, i only did it on the black plastic of my 87 bumpers, the primer wont flex enough for the rubberized moldings