PDA

View Full Version : battery relocation problems??????

Justin86
06-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I relocated by battery to the trunk using 4 gauge wire and used a distrubiting box to hook up the starter and fuse box. But when I started the car it barely had enough juice to start the engine but it did. The battery light came on and didn't go away until the engine was above 2K. The volts at the battery and in the engine bay at the block were both 12.75 V.

pimp86LX
06-21-2004, 01:00 PM
use a 2G

dXsquared
06-21-2004, 01:09 PM
i would also think you need to use a bigger gauge wire if your running it all the way to the trunk... also, make sure your ground wire is PERFECT or it will also create problems

Travis

Justin86
06-21-2004, 02:04 PM
I would have got 2G but other people that have done it used 4G and the kits they sell use 2G. Also I have $18 in this 4G wire and going back to get 2G will be even more. I don't have a damn money tree guys.......

soljaboy2000
06-21-2004, 02:30 PM
I have an extra battery in my trunk but it's just for my sound system so I added the dual battery isolator as well to keep it charged safely.....but the point is that used 4guage wire also to charge the battery....the only thing diifferent is I DID NOT use 4 guage speaker wire.....I used 4 guage electrical wire which is pure copper. It's not that flexible due to its strength but it will sure as hell give your car enough juice even if you wire the battery 30ft away from your car..LOL This wire is basically use in powerlines and stuff so thats why is so durable has an incredibly low ohm rating. It is also gas and oil resistance and has high temperature rating. I got mines from LOWE's. They have different sizes also. No matter what size speaker wire you use...its not for starting your car.

shepherd79
06-21-2004, 02:54 PM
first check your ground wire, and make sure it is conected to clean ground and not paint.
if that doesn't fix the problem, you don't have a choice but go with 2G wire.

NXRacer
06-21-2004, 03:25 PM
a faulty ground will be your biggest problem.

soljaboy2000
06-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Oh...yeah for the ground I just used 0g speaker ground wire and ran two wires...one to the top of each rear struts left and right.
I would take pics with my cam phone but my car is not here.....:( at the moment.

Justin86
06-21-2004, 06:45 PM
I didn't use speaker wire that shit is expensive, I got the wire at NAPA. I need to play around with my ground but I don't have a lot of options, since my entire trunk is painted and insulated. I could try the tail light bolts and see if that help since it is the only area not painted. I thought about maybe a better battery since I have a cheep-O small one, but those Optima battery are hella expensive.

shepherd79
06-21-2004, 06:52 PM
don't use the taillight bolt for the ground.
you may have to find a spot and drill a hole and sand it down to bare metal.

Justin86
06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Why not use the tail light bolt..... is is not metal.........

Well I used the stock groud wire and grounded it is 2 spots and it made about a 5% difference but it's still there.

unc25
06-22-2004, 12:32 PM
I am going to relocate my battery behind the passenger seat but when i do it, I plan on using the 2g wire, there is a reason that the kits come with 2g wire. Also in order to get a really good ground, your going to have to sand it down to bare metal and bolt it down really good. Also check all your connections.

smufguy
06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
This is why u spend 50 bux and get the battery relocation kit from summit and save urself some expense and headache.

LIke Alex said, the battery ground needs to be a SOILD ground and should be grouned on the chassie or the trunkbed after its been drilled and the drilled out hole sanded to bare metal. But be sure that once u bolt it in and the car just starts up fine. U need to spray some primer on the area u sanded down in the trunk bed with the bolt still in to prevent rust and on the underside. coat the whole bolt stickin out with underbody rubberised coat to lock out moister and dirt. Both cans cost 5bux in total from walmart.

Justin86
06-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Ok so I got a good ground in 2 places, and I re did the starter connection. It starts somewhat better and when driving the light might flash on really quick. I'll have to go up to 2G when I have the money.

XJRiggs
06-24-2004, 05:08 PM
If I may make a suggestion. First, dont use a sheetmetal screw for your ground bolt. Use a nut and bolt with a lock washer. Try to drill your ground hole in a thick part or the uni-body and like the others said grind down to bare metal on the inside where the cable is connected and undercoat the underside of the body where the bolt comes through. 4ga is plenty large enough to charge your battery, remember your car's electricity comes from the altanator when the car is running- not the battery! Now if you are running larger stereo amplifiers and a bunch of other accessories you should not only upgrade your wire size but your altanator too. And also upgrade your grounds to the engine- 4ga here would be good too.

You mentioned your voltage reading in the engine bay was 12.75 VDC- was this while the car was running? When the engine is running you should measure at least 14 VDC at the altanator and at the battery. Check your connection again if this is not the case.

Good luck.

Justin86
06-25-2004, 09:29 AM
That was the measure with the car off. I don't have a system but what I do have will dimn the lights when it hits and it has caused the CD palyer to reset a few times, and this was before I moved the battery.

XJRiggs
06-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Something you may want to check... make sure you didn't use a dimmer or light lead to ground your radio. When checking wires with a test light, a light lead will look like a ground. Even if you used an adapter harness I would run the ground for the radio directly to the metal body of the car only. It may cure that problem.

Peace,
Riggs

soljaboy2000
06-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Well I have a dual battery setup with the 2 nd battery in the trunk. I used these bolts on the rear struts as gorund as well as my amps. I use the other strut as well.
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo09/17/61/f2c1b30f4a5b.jpg?_rh=75xlk2837ipkr7x5tlu2yjg49