PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord SE-i Radio Wires CONFUSED!

hxdrt
06-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey everyone this is my first post here... I usually post on www.clubhonda.com (I am hxdrt there too) But the thing is they don't like 3rd gen Accords there ;) So someone there told me about this place and I was like hmm lets check it out and maybe they can help me with some of my problems (I have lots of problems)

The first problem that you guys helped me with was how to remove my back seat in my car.. I did a search and found out how to do it.

Now I need to know what the wires mean (like what the colors mean) for my cars stereo. The wires that I need to know are NOT the stereo its-self wires but the wires that run to the parts of the car and battery etc that run TO the stereo....... Both of my wire harnesses are cut... Here are the wires that I need to know.

Red = ?
White w/ Yellow Stripe = ?
White = ?
Blue = ?
White w/ Some Dark Color Stripe = ?
Green = ?
Black = ?
Yellow = ?
Red with Black Stripe = ?
Yellow with Red Stripe = ?
and I think there is 1 more wire that is red....

This has me sooo pissed off.. I have had my car since Feb 15th and with no radio... So please help me asap. Thanks guys.

:chainsaw:

k-roy
06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
What are the Radio wire color codes?
(http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=93)

That might not be correct, I have heard that the SEi Bose system uses a differant harness. But since yours is gone it might work out.

hxdrt
06-21-2004, 08:30 PM
What are the Radio wire color codes?
(http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=93)

That might not be correct, I have heard that the SEi Bose system uses a differant harness. But since yours is gone it might work out.

No, they arn't right.. And those are the only ones I can find.... At least I have some nice Bose speakers :)...

If anyone on here knows the right codes, please help.

Gregg86DX
06-21-2004, 10:48 PM
I just got done putting a new stereo and speakers in my SEi, so I can probably help you out. First, I assume you are installing a new stereo, are you going to drive your speakers with the head-unit, or install an amp?

Since the SEi uses a factory amp, the wiring is kinda goofy.

At the stereo:

Red is switched power
Yellow is constant power
Black is ground

These are the main ones you need to get the stereo working. The rest of the wires are pre-amp signal wires that run to the back of the car and misc stuff like the steering wheel remote control.

For speaker wires, you need to run your own wires to the speakers. You can either pull wires all the to the speakers (a PITA) or run wires until you can splice into the factory wires behind the kick panels (what I did).

I can give you more specifics on how to find the factory speaker wires if you like.

Gregg

hxdrt
06-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Aight Cool.... Thanks for getting me power to my stereo, now I can see If my speaker wires are right.. I took out my stock amp and had the wires back there spliced together so I would have sound again. The stock amp was dead. And so was my Bose stereo.. Anyway shortly after me buying my car in Febuary I put in this same JVC stereo and somehow had my back speakers working and my right front speaker working too... But I didn't have the left front one hooked up, and I wanted to hook that one up too. So I decided to give it a try... After trying to move around the wires that I spliced and taped together in a half ass way using clear tape (lol) I got pissed off and just disconnected all of the wires that I had previously put together, thinking since I got it to work in the first place, that I could get it to work again.. Well I was wrong because I forgot what the wires meant..... So anyway I don't think that I am going to have to re-run wires I think I just have to figure out what the stock wires colors mean so I can rig them back up again... I had it working before, so that means that all of the necessary wires are in place and working... At least now after you told me what the power wires were, I have my radio all lit up which is cool, and a start, so I can hear if I am getting sound to the speakers I am trying to wire up. Thanks for your help.

hxdrt
06-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Well I tried what you said and.... it didn't work... So I tried something myself and got the right wires figured out (for what you told me (getting the stereo power) )

Heres whats attached so far....

STEREO ////////// CAR
Black --- Black *ground*
Red --- Yellow With Red Stripe *accessory*
Yellow --- White With Yellow Stripe *constant (battery)*

So what we have to figure out is what the following *CAR* wires mean.

White With Green Stripe
White
Green
Red With Black Stripe
Blue
Red
Yellow
Red With Silver Dots

So what do the above 8 wires go to (the speakers of course) but what speakers do they go to and which of the wires are positive or negative and what speakers do they go to?

Sooo close!! Soo close!! Must --- not --- lose --- sanity!

UPDATE

I just took the red and yellow FROM the STEREO and twisted them on the yellow with a red stripe that is FROM the CAR and now we have power and memory...................... So now that we have power we need to figure out what wires go to what speakers.

Gregg86DX
06-22-2004, 07:37 AM
That's interesting that your power wires don't match what I have, I'll have to double check that. As for the speaker wires, I'll tell you what I can remember, but I have to double check tonight when I get home.

You should be able to get the rear speakers hooked up pretty easy. The 8 preamp wires run from the back of the radio to the rear deck, where the amp was. You can use these for speakers wires, but they are a bit thin. You can use any of them so just pick 4 and extend them to the rear speakers.

The wires that run from the factory amp to the front speakers are:

Blue/Green stripe = front left pos
Grey/Black stripe = front left neg
Red/Green stripe = front right pos
Brown/Black stripe = front right neg

They are a little thicker then the preamp wires, so they should be easy to ID.

Again, just pick 4 of the preamp wires and splice them into the front speak wires.

Obviously, you need to match up the wires you chose with the speaker output of the radio.

You can also verify the speaker wire colors by pulling the front door speaker covers and looking at the wires.

Hopefully that helps :)

Gregg

hxdrt
06-23-2004, 10:31 AM
hmm.. All of the wires are already in place, as I had all of my speakers hooked up and working before except my left front one. That why I got pissed off and unhooked all of the wires again, and forgot what wires go to what speakers... I have back where my amp was all wired together... All thats left to do is hook up the wires that run from the car to the stereo.. The wires are 2 milla-meters apart from each other, all I have to do is ID them! Like figure out what the color codes are...