PDA

View Full Version : Sad Sad Day

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Well i Blow out my auto again :thumbdown so i am going to put a 5speed in :sad2: So dose anyone know where i can get a Good Clutch and pressure plate let me know :rice: Baby

TheMagi
06-21-2004, 08:58 PM
My car has the auto, it is an '87 model Lx-i. When i got it, the trans felt kinda shitty. I emptied the fluid, and refilled it with Mobil 1 synthetic. It made a world of difference...night and day. After 'cleaning' the trans out for a couple of months with the new fluid, I changed it again. Now it shifts firm and solid. I fiddled around with the T.V. cable alot and got it to downshift and upshift where i want, and i love it. I know you're converting to a stick, but i thought this might help other auto users.
Good luck with the swap! if mine dies (or 'when') I'll switch as well.

A20A1
06-21-2004, 09:34 PM
I use Mobil 1 and a little mix or B&M trick shift.

How do you know it's blown? Not just a low fluid problem?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-22-2004, 07:20 AM
I use Mobil 1 and a little mix or B&M trick shift.

How do you know it's blown? Not just a low fluid problem?
I took it back to the shop that rebuilt it and thay checked it out, When your driveing around it will ovre heat and shot fluid out if it :sad2: it about $1500 to fix it again to hell with that so i an putting a 5speed in i don't want to but at $1500.00 each my auto go's out the 5speed is th way to go :werd:

SteveDX89
06-22-2004, 07:38 AM
I've got a used clutch and pressure plate. I haven't looked at the actual condtion of the disk but it was holding up pretty nice the last time it was used.

Blue Impact
06-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Need a manual tranny? I'd say your best bet for something "cheap" is Pick N Pull. Good luck.

AccordEpicenter
06-23-2004, 06:57 PM
i hope you guys are talking about mobil 1 in your at's... its a bad bad thing to use mobil 1 in your manuals. Ive been thrashing around an exedy/daikin $100 clutch kit and its ok... for a stock replacement clutch (non performance)

Magny
06-23-2004, 07:02 PM
uh, our manny trans come with fluid??? .................I don't think they do unless I missed something in the book about it.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
06-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Need a manual tranny? I'd say your best bet for something "cheap" is Pick N Pull. Good luck.
I have a manual tranny and all the things to switch over i just need a Good Clutch and pressure plate for it be for i put it in so where can i get one at?

SteveDX89
06-24-2004, 02:12 AM
uh, our manny trans come with fluid??? .................I don't think they do unless I missed something in the book about it.

You missed it. All trannys need fluid.

shepherd79
06-24-2004, 02:16 AM
its a bad bad thing to use mobil 1 in your manuals.
why is that bad?
if you actually look at honda motor oil it says right on the can MOBIL 1.
so i don't see why it is bad to use mobil 1 oil in the trans. plus the trany made to use engine oil insted of heavy gear oil.

skull1441
06-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Clutchmasters OEM clutch is the cheap, good, non slippin way ... i have that and it never let me down ... NEVER EVER BUY AUTOZONE CLUTCH .... and if u can pay more money on a clutch kit, get ACT clutch stage one or something

AccordEpicenter
06-24-2004, 02:28 PM
mobil 1 is bad for manuals because it tends to make them noisy and somtimes grind... synthetic doesnt stick to the gears very well because its sooo slick... Honda MTF or GM Syncromesh Friction Modified is best.

hkplayer
06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
for some reason, i didnt know mobil 1 made atf...though, i am a huge fan of their engine oil. we arent talking about the same oil for both auto tranny and engine oil are we? i would think thats crazy talk...lol

Busted_Blue
06-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Tom, go out there and just get a performance clutch kit. I am looking at the ACT Stage 1 kit that comes with Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and Organic Street Disc. Looking around $300 bucks.

TheMagi
06-26-2004, 03:05 PM
for some reason, i didnt know mobil 1 made atf...though, i am a huge fan of their engine oil. we arent talking about the same oil for both auto tranny and engine oil are we? i would think thats crazy talk...lol

Wood9669
06-26-2004, 06:00 PM
i might be doin a swap, got a question(or 2)
1. can it be done in a household garage by just jacking up the car or drivingi t up on those lil ramps from autozone?
2. think its possible to get EVERYTHING needed for the swap for under $300?
3. would my automatic tranny have any re-sell value?

hkplayer
06-27-2004, 12:57 AM
thanks themagi, so dextron III = mobil 1 atf...i should have firgured :)

MattsAccord
06-27-2004, 01:29 AM
I love my ACT clutch I got. This is the cheapest place I found them.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/frontpage.asp

Slavic
06-28-2004, 05:49 PM
mobil 1 is bad for manuals because it tends to make them noisy and somtimes grind... synthetic doesnt stick to the gears very well because its sooo slick... Honda MTF or GM Syncromesh Friction Modified is best.

I'm using Mobil 1 gear oil and I get clicks in the third gear mostly when I force the shift and/or when in higher RPMs. Iwas led to beleive that it's a synchro problem.

I did a little search on Syncromesh (it's Synchromesh BTW) and found this post here: http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-problems.htm

Solution #1 came up in 1992 when the first TSB called for adding a 'friction modifier' to the transmission fluid. The modifier increases the frictional coefficient of the fluid, so the synchronizer rings (synchros) match speeds faster...
...Many DSMers end up using Redline MTL, BG Synchroshift or GM Synchromesh in their transmissions. All of these fluids have the same purpose - to increase friction, just as the Mitsu fluid modifier is intended to do. Most owners report at least some improvement with the new fluids, but most experience significantly better shifting. Opinions and experiences vary.

Recent experience suggests that Redline MTL gains in shifting performance by sacrificing synchro longevity. This is not exactly news, but more and more owners are reporting this problem with MTL now that there are alternative fluids available. Many owners considered the tradeoff to be well worth it. However, more people are now recommending a mix of Redline MTL with MT-90 gear oil, to combat both problems at once.

Am I correct to beleive that Mobil 1 is the culprit? I don't remember it clicking before I changed the gear oil. And here I was thinking I'm getting the best for my car at $8/quart.