PDA

View Full Version : Will A Difference Be Felt With 88 or 89 Octane Fuel?

MIK3
06-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering, in all of the 16 years of this cars life...it's only had 87 octane fuel put into it. I had a few questions...

1.) Is it safe to try out say an 89 octane mixture?

2.) Will I notice any difference in acceleration?

3.) If I put it in, will I have to stay at 89 octane, or can I switch back to 87 octane on the next tank?

k-roy
06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Why not try "premium"?
I use either this super clean 89 mix or 95 race blend.
You should notice a differance with a higher rating. And yes its safe to switch back and forth.

MIK3
06-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Cool. Alright. Well yeah, here, premium is 89 octane. I'm at half tank right now, my next fill up, I'll have to check it out.

2old_honda
06-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Actually you wont feel any difference. Our cars are designed for low test gas (87-88 octane). The cars do not have a knock sensor or any kind of knock control. So you will not feel any difference. You are just wasting your money buying the high test fuel.
Without getting into the specifics, high test fuel only used to resist detonation. It is actually harder to burn than the low test stuff. You may actually be loosing power by burning high test (unlikely but possible).
Now if you advanced your timing you may want to run high test to prevent any pinging that you might get, but on stock engine you should use the regular stuff. :)

you can check this out to learn more
http://greennature.com/article347.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

Mike's89AccordLX
06-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Well that's all true but I would say go with 89 octane b/c that's what the Honda Manual says in my book. Even though I use 90 or sometimes 92 (get it for the same price as 89 and since I do have a lot of mods I prefer to use the higher rating)

-Mike

accordlxi2.0
06-22-2004, 09:32 AM
that's wired mine said well both said 89 or higher.
well with stock timing no but with advanced timing and 92 bp gas 93 2001 gas.
they idled perfectly had better gas milege and had a lil kick to 'em........

k-roy
06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Actually you wont feel any difference.
Wow :stupid:

nswst8
06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Hope this helps
Phil :cheers:

AZmike
06-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Care to expand a bit kroy? My understanding is that the octane rating indicates how resisant the fuel is to preignite, not how much energy will be released when the fuel burns. With stock timing in a car that can't use knock sensor feedback to advance the spark (like our accords) I don't see how running a higher octane than necessary to avoid detonation will help.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Ok guys here's the down low on octane ratings.

The lower the # the more volitle it is. (The faster it ignites) The higher the # it is less volitle so it will burn at higher temps.

Here's why fuels so important. If I ran 87 octane in my Premium fueled car (94 Prelude Si) It would cause detonation. You want the fuel to combust at the right time so it pushes the piston down and creates power. If you have predetonation that means the fuel is burning before it is supposed to. It will cause cylinder walls to be scored, holes in your piston, and many other things. That's why it's so important not to use lower than what your car requires.

-Mike

k-roy
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
My bad, I did not notice we were talking about "stock" cars here.
My car is far from that. If I run 87 my car barely likes to run, it keeps pinging and blowing off vaccum caps. :uh: So my judgement is more "seat of the pants".
Thinking back to when it was bone stock I did run 87 all the time, of course the car sucked to drive in that form.

MIK3
06-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Alright. So I better just stick to 87 octane. I just read the back of my owners manual, and it said to pump unleaded of 86 octane or higher. I might just try it for one fill up. Oh yeah, will the Arizona heat come into play at all with this?

Justin86
06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
yea and to go higher just add you over the counter boster at your local paint store. There is Toulene which works ok but there is this other stuff that is suppose to be total kick ass. It's about $11 a gallon but you only add about a cup of this to 15 gallons of gas and it will raise it from 91 to around 95. :D It's something like P&M something rather??????

88accordhb
06-22-2004, 07:46 PM
ive ran on 87, 89, and 91...91 works best for my car but not for all, my friend's stang actually is better on 89...just try things out

zero.counter
06-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering, in all of the 16 years of this cars life...it's only had 87 octane fuel put into it. I had a few questions...

1.) Is it safe to try out say an 89 octane mixture?

2.) Will I notice any difference in acceleration?

3.) If I put it in, will I have to stay at 89 octane, or can I switch back to 87 octane on the next tank?
1) yes
2) no
3) no and yes

Oyvind Ryeng
06-22-2004, 07:55 PM
My Euro A20A4 demands 98 octane (RON? What we use over here). It's about equal to your 91 octane ROZ. If i use 95 octane RON (your 87 octane ROZ), it idles rough, there is a slight performance loss, and pinging can be heard occationally.

keruhas184
06-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Well, i just dumped 12 Gallons of 89 fuel in my tank after running on 93 for 6 months. My car didn't like it: slow acceleration and misfiring on idle.

My plugs are abit overgapped with the new coil (.048), but my alt is dying, so that could be the reason for misfiring. I almost couldn't feel the misfiring running on 93 though. So ill shorten the gap to .046 tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Again, I don't know, maybe its just cause i added another 50 kilos to the car, or maybe the remaining 93 and 89 need more time to mix, but I still felt less power than what I usually feel with a full tank of gas.

Bottom line for now: ill experiment some more and see...

Justin86
06-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, i just dumped 12 Gallons of 89 fuel in my tank after running on 93 for 6 months. My car didn't like it: slow acceleration and misfiring on idle.

My plugs are abit overgapped with the new coil (.048), but my alt is dying, so that could be the reason for misfiring. I almost couldn't feel the misfiring running on 93 though. So ill shorten the gap to .046 tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Again, I don't know, maybe its just cause i added another 50 kilos to the car, or maybe the remaining 93 and 89 need more time to mix, but I still felt less power than what I usually feel with a full tank of gas.

Bottom line for now: ill experiment some more and see...

Try to advance you ignition a bit, having higher octance it will burn slower but hotter, so having the ingintion advance a bit it will ignite the gas at the right time.