PDA

View Full Version : Just starting to mod

Nighthawk
05-03-2002, 06:22 AM
Hey guys,

I've had my 1987 LX-i HB (92K) for two years now, and I've finally got some money to spend on her. She's completely stock, but she's in better shape now than when I bought her. I've rechaged the AC, flushed the radiator & tranny, got the brakes done, and got new front suspension bushings (supposedly they were completely shot) with an alignment.

What do you think I should do to improve my car? I'm more interested in mechanical stuff at this point, since she looks pretty decent cosmetically.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've learned a lot about cars (much of it from 3geez!) over the last two years. I'm a technical person (computers), so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but I don't want to make my car unsafe or undriveable. I wouldn't mind having a shop do the work if it's difficult or dangerous.

What do you guys think? Where should I start? I was thinking about getting the disc brake conversion done, but I'd have to go find a junked SE-i. Do you think suspension work is in order?

Let me know what you think.

--Nighthawk

Sabz5150
05-03-2002, 06:37 AM
What do you guys think? Where should I start? I was thinking about getting the disc brake conversion done, but I'd have to go find a junked SE-i. Do you think suspension work is in order?

Less suspension work, more brake work on that one. Since you own an '87, you'll need a lot more than the discs and arms... you'll also need the master cylinder, the proportioner, and the front brake discs and calipers.

The suspension (struts/springs) shouldn't have to be bothered... you're only replacing the rear control arms and not the whole setup.

... and yes, the only way to do this is to find a junked SE-i. There was one at my local yard and I was an idiot and passed it up :crying:

Otherwise, you've got an LX-i... you have several options for mods. First off is to rip off that ungodly restrictive intake and go with a shortram or cold air intake. Shortrams can be made rather easily... go to any Autozone, and look in their 'import' section. Grab the 92-2000 Civic intake tube and a nice filter. Cut about 4 inches off of the pipe, the end that is longer after the bend, and you're set! Another easy and inexpensive mod is an Accel ignition coil. Face it, our coils are 15 - 16 years old and they aren't up to the specs that they had coming off the showroom. You'll notice a nice improvment in your engine's smoothness. More expensive mods include headers, an upgraded cam and cam gear, MSD ignition, and nitrous.

Junkyard mods include the famed Prelude tranny swap. The transmission from the 1.8 litre carbed Preludes will mate to our engines, has a much sportier gear ratio and the Prelude's flywheel is lighter. You will have to use the Lude's clutch and flywheel so that the tranny will mate properly.

Got more questions, ask away :)

-5150 :bandit: