PDA

View Full Version : 2.5" front drop + 1.5" rear = unbalanced car?

MoonScryer
07-19-2002, 06:09 PM
I want more of a raked angle from my car. Right now I'm running 1.5" Neuspeeds and Tokico's. I want to bring the frontend down another inch to 2.5" so the wheel well gap matches with the rear a bit better, and the rake angle will look good. :D

My question is, will this unbalance the car in cornering? Will the car plow more, and be highly unstable in a turn? Will it cause the backend to break loose? Should I not worry about it?

I also have upper strut bars front and rear, in case you are wondering. I'm not worried about the camber right now, just the possible steering aspects in the few corners i go into at around 65mph maximum (like freeway to freeway interchanges, which is rare). 90% I'm highway or city driving.

Oh, and for those wondering, I'm considering DropZone springs due to price, their progressive nature, and I think a bit stiffer to compensate for the added drop, unless someone has springs that can match the Neuspeeds in performance at a 2.5" drop.

guaynabo89
07-19-2002, 06:53 PM
I don't know man an inch might be too much. When you look at all the spring manufacturers they make the front springs only about a 1/4 of an inch lower than the back.

How about cutting a little off your front springs. I might be doing this with my springs. I figure I'll bring the front down to 1.75 or 1.80.

Unless you have a lot of equipment in the trunk and that brought it down alot I wouldn't go that low in the front.

Mantis88LX
07-19-2002, 07:29 PM
im running about a 2'' drop in front with tokico 1'' springs with 1 coil cut off, and a 1'' drop in back with no cut coils.

handles awesome but looks a bit uneven, u know how when u lower your car it makes the wheels look bigger? well i got the stock 13 inch wheels and with the fron droped it looks so much better the wheels look bigger, but the back didnt change much. im gonna get about half a coil cut off the back ones later,

what about the rear springs settling? the dude that put my springs on said that the rear springs would get lower over time?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Well with out going overboard and recommending having your car corner weighted after you've done what you want to do. I'd say go ahead and try it. Just slowly take your usual corners at higher and higher speeds as you probe the limits of the new set up. To me your car carries more weight in the front then the rear. Lowering the front more than the rear is simply giving the heavier part of the car a lower center of gravity. What would worry me is how the car acts if you go into a corner say a little to fast and you tap on the brakes, would it be likely to spin? Or how it will act if you went around a weird corner that say is banked the WRONG way. But that's were the testing part comes in. If it was me and I was in your shoes I'd try it. And on that note I've got an idea:D

How would you like it if you could try this without having to buy new springs, without having to cut your current front springs?
How would you like it if you find out it doesn't work and your able to put you car back to the way it was before you even thought this up? I will cost you $70. I know of a place that sells coilover conversion kits that can use your front springs. They sell for $34.95 a corner, so buy 2. Install them, use your springs set the drop you want, for the look you want and check her out. If you don't like it you can raise the front up a bit or put it back to where you had it, or remove the coilover kits alltogether and put the springs back in their place. Here's the web site

http://www.opmmotorsports.com/products/honda/accord/86_88accordlxi.html

Don't ask me what's the difference between version 1 and version 2, I do not know. Don't be surprised if the guy try's to talk you out of doing it. He will most likely tell you to raise your car to stock ride height for "best performance". YEAH right:flip:

Let me know what you think.

MoonScryer
07-20-2002, 11:30 PM
OK, thanks for the advice. No, I won't cut my springs; that just comprimises them, and I can use them on my DX hatch anyway.

I like the idea of those coilover conversion. Odd things. It says thye utilize a 2.5" racing spring. Does that mean they come with a spring 2.5" tall, or that much of a drop from stock height? Like you said though, Jim, I can use my Neuspeeds. Will let you know Jim.

Oh, and my springs have settled. The ride height hasn't changed in four months by my measurements on the same piece of concrete 4 times, so they will settle no more.

Thanks.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-21-2002, 12:13 AM
All 3rd gen front springs are 2.5" WIDE, stock or lowering ones. So I know your neuspeeds could be used. And no they do not come with springs, they are telling you to find 2.5" width springs.
BTW the rear springs in the 3rd gen are wider than 2.5", 3" wide if I remember.