PDA

View Full Version : Valve Seal R&R

rideredorgohome
06-23-2004, 05:16 AM
Hi Guys
Ok need some help here. Need to replace valve seals cause car smokes like hell most mornings. Now since I'm not a mechanic, I will touch some frame parts but not my motor. I have asked two shops now how they would do it. I already have the new OEM seals. The one shop told me they would have to remove the head altogether and send it out to the machine shop to have the seals done. Of course this means a head gasket too!! I haven't taken my car here before but decided I would give them a shot because their labour rate is significantly less than my regular shop and they are a dealership which has a sister Honda dealership. The other (which I have taken her to before) told me 3 hrs labour, that they wouldn't have to send it to the machine shop. They said they would take the cam off, and force compressed air into the cylinder to raise the valves so they can get into the seals and replace them. Please help me guys cause I'm real confused. I don't want to remove the head if I don't have to, esp. because it's gonna get into $$$$$$$$$$$$ :dunno:

rideredorgohome
06-23-2004, 01:22 PM
C'mon guys....need an opinion here..... :sadwave:

ET2
06-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Sounds like the first place wants to rebuild it, maybe they think the valve guides are shot and that will cost a few hundred dollars, if your trying to get out cheap go with the second shop and have just the seals done.

NXRacer
06-23-2004, 02:51 PM
a head is not something you wanna have fix cheaply. get it done right and you'll have better luck with it in the long run.

shepherd79
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
valve seals may not be your problem.
i had the same problem with my old car, and it turn out to be rings on the piston. i don't know why, but that is what it was.
i changed valve seals 5 times and my car was still smoking.
so, if your doesn't stop smoking, it is your piston rings.
good luck.

AZmike
06-24-2004, 01:11 PM
valve seals may not be your problem.
i had the same problem with my old car, and it turn out to be rings on the piston. i don't know why, but that is what it was.
i changed valve seals 5 times and my car was still smoking.
so, if your doesn't stop smoking, it is your piston rings.
good luck.

I had the same problem with the prelude: blue/gray smoke for a few minutes after start. I had the head rebuilt and then tore the engine back down to have the shop double-check their work since it was still smoking. New piston rings solved the problem. A wet/dry compression test or a leakdown test should indicate what the leak's cause is.

AccordEpicenter
06-24-2004, 02:26 PM
A wet/dry compression test or a leakdown test should indicate what the leak's cause is.

I agree...

XJRiggs
06-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Just a comment I'd like to make... I've heard a common way to keep the valves from droping into the cylinder is to take out the spark plug, begin a cylinder on a compression stroke and fill the cylinder with a nylon rope. Then bring the piston up a little, just enough to keep the valves from droping, then change the seals. No need to remove the cam.
Seems to make sense, but I dont repair engines for a living.

shepherd79
06-24-2004, 06:01 PM
i just used air compressor.
they sell the special adapter that will screw in into the spark plug hole.
attach air compressor hose and set air compressor anywhere between 20-90 psi.