PDA

View Full Version : '86 LXi Trouble..Need Help Please?

sleepee
06-24-2004, 06:09 AM
My car almost siezed on the road a couple weeks ago, when I just recently checked the oil level before the incident happend and the level was fine. I get the car towed home. I Let the car sat for a day and checked the oil level which was a little above normal level then I took the valve cover off and noticed the gasket was cracked and replaced that.
Then I noticed the Vaccuum Advanced was in need of replacement and replaced that. Went to start the car again and when in motion i hear a grinding like popping noise, but no feedback movement from the grinding/popping noise.(like a shake) But the car wouldn't accelerate well at all I would be getting high rpms at 15mph turned the car off. I want to assume oil pump and something else causing this problem.

A Day later..
Attempt to start car again, and when I let go of the gas and keep the clutch down, the car will stall in Nuetral but when I don't have the clutch nor gas pedal down and in Nuetral the car stays idle with no problems but once gas is put into the engine it'll attempt to stall or just stall.

Any information on this would be great and any information on if I am looking at the wrong parts of this diagnosis.

Thank you.. :sadwave:

shepherd79
06-24-2004, 01:53 PM
it is your clutch.
i think it is slipping, but the way it sounds you may have blown clutch.

86LXItooFAST4me
06-24-2004, 01:59 PM
yeah i think you threw your clutch too. what happened before it stalled? did you down shift it or anything?

sleepee
06-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Thank you above for the respones

And I never downshift unless I really have to. I always glide with Nuetral to a stop or a turn. Then put the gear in when needed.

i have no freeplay in the clutch, my clutch is very stiff (i thought if there was freeplay and my clutch going all the way down to the floor means my clutch went bad?)

But I need to replace my tranny anyway so while i am doing that tomorrow I will replace the clutch..( I have no 4th gear "reason behind tranny replacement)

If its not my clutch any other idea's??

sjsjbb
02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
its your tranny 5th gear needle bearings are gone and space collar has started to seize to shaft. just my thoughts.try starting car and letting out clutch and see if car moves or it seemes as if brakes ar locked up if u cant move i think something has seized on tranny shaft