PDA

View Full Version : distributer cleanup.

pixiesfan78
06-26-2004, 12:43 PM
has any one gutted there dizzy and cleaned it? i cant figure out how to get the main shaft out. right underneath the rotor theres that magnetic piece with a little spread pin in it does this have to be pryed off or what i want it gutted down to the shell so i can paint it.and also so it can be cleaned to like new status.please help quick. im ready to do it today if possible but i dont want to screw anything up thanks a lot as always.

pixiesfan78
06-26-2004, 03:54 PM
update nevermind the question.i figured it out. for any one who wants to rebuild there dizzy assuming you have it off the car. remove cap'rotor'. i have a lude dizzy so there is a plastic cover under the rotor that slides off.now remove the four screws inside dizzy two hold the wire harness and two hold the vacume advance bearing. there are two more on the outside then you can pull off the electrical connection on the side it has pins just pull it out oh it also has a metal cover that comes off after the screws. next remove vacume advance diaphragm it has a tiny retaining ring in the dizzy and two screws on the outside.finally you need to flip the dizzy upside down and remove the cog that locks into the cam it has a pin knock the pin out. now you have a knob sticking out of the bottom of the dizzy find a good surface and hammer the entire shaft out of the case everything comes out with it.there is one lose washer inside dont lose that.now your free to clean every thing with parts cleaner. make sure to lube the vac advance bearing.at this point i cleaned the dizzy case with accetone taped off the inside and painted it to match my intake.make sure you tape good you dont want paint inside the dizzy. rebiuld is the reverse of tear down. if you got any questions just ask.

pixiesfan78
06-26-2004, 05:48 PM
man it came out good.the vacume advance bearing operates a lot smoother now. no old moter oil inside the case. all contacts were cleaned to a shine. and best of all its now painted to look good with high temp chevy blue paint and ceramic clearcoat.tomorrow its time to get rid of the f#$%ed up accord dizzy.i ve had this hesetation problem for a long time and it finally dawned on me that maybe its not a fuel related problem.so i pulled the vacume advance lines and sucked on them with the diz cap off to check the advance and it did move but did not hold pressure so my diaphragm was bad i figured what the hell i should just get a lude dizzy and rebuild it.so for a little bit of work and 30.00 at the j/y i should get a cleaner running car maybe a little better spark and hopefully this is my hesetation problem (yeah right) and i get a chance to fix the oil leak from the dizzy gasket and clean all the oil off the top of the tranny.one day i might even have a clean engine bay. overall i rate this a good weekend project.laters