PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake vs. short ram air

88'er
06-27-2004, 11:39 AM
ok, i've gotta question, all these "cold air intake" bolt ons that you see all over end up sucking hot air outta the engine compartment, thats not cold air. so this leaves me a little confused, my factory air box (as restrictive as it may be) is still colder air! so why would you wanna put a short ram air in as opposed to getting someone to run some nice pipe down into your bumper????

shepherd79
06-27-2004, 02:53 PM
short air intake was made for people who live in places where there are a lot of rain.
after that AEM come out with bypass valve, that helps to battle with water.
anyway, short ram may be not as effective as true CAI but it a hole lot better than stock air intake.

pimp86LX
06-27-2004, 03:25 PM
short air intake was made for people who live in places where there are a lot of rain.
after that AEM come out with bypass valve, that helps to battle with water.
anyway, short ram may be not as effective as true CAI but it a hole lot better than stock air intake.

I don't think I agree. Is the increase in air flow that significan't over stock and does that hot air negate the increase? I guess the question i ask myself is, "is it really that much more, and does more hot air work better than less cold air?"

Anyone ever do dyno test with stock, short, and true CAI? I suspect a short ram MIGHT be better than stock IF that was the only mod, but a true CAI would make a world of difference with other mods. Its all about the synergy baby! woot! hehe

Busted_Blue
06-27-2004, 03:36 PM
I just installed a CAI for my car and I don't feel any significant changes. Of course my valve cover line (PCV valve i think it is called) is was off. I just put a new line to the intake pipe and I notice a little change in response. I never tested out a Short Ram so I'm a bit blinded on this test. For sure the car feels a slight up in mid range power with the CAI. Now with the stock stuff off, i can take my oil filter out without going under the car! YAY for me!

superaccord
06-27-2004, 04:00 PM
if you have put a true cold air intake on and you feel no difference there is something wrong, either with you or your car. I have one and the first time i put it on it was greatly noticeable.

BITESIZE
06-27-2004, 05:10 PM
I noticed a hell off a difference from stock to ram air, and an even bigger differance from ram air to cold air!!!! If you don't notice a differance, you're car is poopy, throw it away and buy a new car.

bullard123
06-27-2004, 05:30 PM
I have a Weapon R short ram intake on my honda. The first day I put it on I felt a big difference in horse power. You have to remember that those intakes were tested by professionals and are considered to be aftermarket. If its not better than stock, then why even waste time bringing them into production? I am very pleased with the response I get out of mine. And if you don't have one I would recommend it.

shepherd79
06-27-2004, 06:11 PM
you should feel a lot of diff with even short ram. if you don't feel anything, than most likely your engine is going to hell.

88'er
06-28-2004, 07:00 PM
haha, cool thanks guys! actually i was looking at the weapon r intake, i think i'm gonna bolt that on, and then later pay the exhaust guy to run the pipe all the way so i can have cold air. my only question is this though: all the intakes claim to be "bolt on" so forgive me for being the newbie here, but i need some more clarification i guess. ok so when the install is done, the air box/filter is total removed along with all the pipes. so how exactly does it bolt on to the intake? and second, as i remember there is a u shaped tube going from the throttle body to the i think intake, what happens to that?

bullard123
06-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Go to the thread that says "show your air intake set up" I think it is the appearance section. Take a look at some of the pics and see if you can get a idea of doing it. I can tell you its really easy. Had mine done in about 30min.

88'er
06-28-2004, 07:17 PM
cool thanks, so do you have any probs with the weapon r's filtering ability, are they a sound choice i mean, because the last thing i want is a bunch of dirt getting in, because i do live in west texas where its very dusty!

wprocomp
06-28-2004, 07:58 PM
If i am not mistaken the weaponr is washable,so you can clean all that lovely texas dust out,just like the K&N.......welcome fellow texas 3G'er

88'er
06-28-2004, 08:06 PM
haha, whats up man! it was gettin kinda lonely in here from the Texas end!

HondaBoy
06-28-2004, 08:32 PM
well, i know this is mostly on FI cars y'all are discussing, but on the carbed car we do the flipped lid. you should know about that. anyway, i did that and it mostly made more noise, but didnt really notice any more power. thats probley due to sucking up hot air. now if i had put a hood scoop above it or something then i think it would do something nice. i'm trying to find a nice hood scoop that will look right. need to be semi-lowprofile.

Busted_Blue
06-28-2004, 08:37 PM
I think the reason why i didn't feel the difference was because there was 3 people in the car when I first "tested" it. I did notice when i plugged the line back in it was more responsive. The short ram makes more noise than the CAI right?

BITESIZE
06-28-2004, 09:00 PM
The short ram makes more noise than the CAI right?

Mine was the other way around......especially when those second set of butterflies open up!

NeubJ
06-28-2004, 09:01 PM
My first intake was a Weapon R intake.(also the foam filter doesnt filter as good as other types) I didnt know about this site back then. After it was installed I noticed a difference in throttle response annd power. As the weather got warmer the power difference wasnt as noticeable. (after driving for awhile) Keep in mind the air you are sucking in is 120 plus degrees compared to the stock intake that is sucking cool air from your fender.

I switched over to a custom CAI and wont go back to SR or stock. (then you have to worry about rain LOL)
Dont waste your money on a short ram intake. Buy a 94-97 CAI. You dont have to modify as much as you do with a 90-93 intake.

lightbulblxi
06-28-2004, 10:39 PM
i dont know if it is true or not, but i heard short ram will give u better throttle respone than cai, anyone kno if tats true?

Busted_Blue
06-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Mine was the other way around......especially when those second set of butterflies open up!

Yea the 2nd valve teases people. Friends thought I had vtec but then realized the car wasnt going anywhere.... :sad2:

modu03
06-29-2004, 02:32 PM
well... I had a cold air intake and it was noisy as hell... so, i made it into a short ram... both had an improvement over stock, but the short ram seems to give me a little more power and it doesn't have that wind tunnel whistle my cai had... I am sticking with the short ram... it flows more air than the cold air intake. although it's a little warmer air, your still getting more of it, so it kinda equals out i guess...

of course the temp is well over 100 around here all summer, so there's not much of a temperature change between cai and short ram

bullard123
06-29-2004, 05:12 PM
I agree modu 03 Don't you just love when you have your hood open, and rev the engine and hear that short ram sucking in air just like a vacum cleaner!!!! I love it. They also add up to 25hp to you ride.

bullard123
06-29-2004, 05:17 PM
cool thanks, so do you have any probs with the weapon r's filtering ability, are they a sound choice i mean, because the last thing i want is a bunch of dirt getting in, because i do live in west texas where its very dusty!

Nope. Don't have any problems with mine. Mine came with a special "dragon filter" which is designed to catch any kind of dust or trash before it gets into your engine. If you are still considering buying one go to this web site www.speedycarparts.com they have them for $95. I have seen some for as much as $180. So its a really good deal.

88'er
06-29-2004, 07:02 PM
so if i make it into a cai what do i have to worry about when it rains? sucking water into the intake? and if so how do you overcome that?

superaccord
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
get a by-pass filter to protect from the rain.LOL i'm having a problem where i live cause it doesnt rain that much but all of a sudden it rains everyday.. So i cant really drive my car that much!
lol

johnwc723
07-01-2004, 12:15 AM
personally i dont consider a cold air intake adding really any horsepower at all, maybe if oyu have done ALOT of mods to your car will you see a difference, i think tha tmost people that notice that difference of one may have a case of the placibo effect cause i dont think that many can feel 1-2 HP

im not dissin them, they are cool they make you car a lot louder and they sound cool and the look pimp but as a really useful performance mod i find them more for show than anything else