PDA

View Full Version : Sony Xplode Subs Are They Worth GEtting?

gr3k0sLaV
07-20-2002, 01:28 AM
TOmorrow I may be getting 2 12' SOny Xplode Subs, for $150 for the pair, which about $75 US....

Im wondering are their subs worth it? ive heard mixed reviews and reports....

THis subs aint legit, but im wondering should i go these or get another brand...

88bluelx
07-20-2002, 06:07 PM
I work at a major electronics chain and those subs will last about 1-2 months. I personally feel that they are crap. People return them all the time. I would suggest that you save up your money and get a really good pair that are going to last you.

pimp86LX
07-20-2002, 06:10 PM
thats too bad sony has crap subs
Personally i Had an Explod tape deck/w cd changer control and it was an amazing deck, it still works amazingly, and will work with new sony cd changers

its just too bad they don't put more effort into subs,

netfreak
07-20-2002, 07:23 PM
What about the Xplod amps? I think the local Future Shop sells 800W ones for really cheap.

pimp86LX
07-20-2002, 09:17 PM
you can get better for less $$, not to say that its bad you can jsut get better

87DXHatch
07-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Well, my friend has two sony explod 15's and a 760 watt sony explod amp and it pounds really really hard. In fact, IMHO, I think it pounds too hard. The bass is totally unbalanced with the rest of the system... as for accuracy, they aren't too bad. I don't know how long they will hold up, though.

pimp86LX
07-20-2002, 09:20 PM
how long has he had em?

gr3k0sLaV
07-20-2002, 09:23 PM
hmmm, im just gunna go Blaupunkt Amps.....next week im going to go pick up my head unit, after that im gunna get Kenwood 3ways 6inchs in the back, then kenwood splits in the front, save more get an amp, save more get another amp and 2 mtx 10'

pimp86LX
07-20-2002, 09:27 PM
mtx??? ewwww

go vega ...

gr3k0sLaV
07-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Vega? never heard of 'em here,

MTX is great sounding, I knew a guy who had 3 x 10' mTX's in his boot you could hear his car a mile away...

pimp86LX
07-20-2002, 09:35 PM
never heard of Vega's? wow there like Huge round here, there an old company who's reputation (i thought) was very good

All the guys i've heard that had mtx blew em up (but then again they didn't look too bright, lol)

gr3k0sLaV
07-20-2002, 09:46 PM
nope, the mtx's i heard are quite impressive then again a mate of mine has a single 10' Pioneer sub in his boot which he would sell me for about $200, he's running it on a lower power blaupunkt amp, its a 600watt sub, but I shit you not the BASS is unbelievable! it's caused the bolts in his boot to come loose causing all the shit to rattle bad.....

pimp86LX
07-20-2002, 09:48 PM
oh mah bad, your in Australia, i think vegas are a NA product, i'm not sure though, Pionner is excellent! i have 2 4" 80w pionteer highs are they peirce the eardrums quite nicely

I'm heard far away with these

well it helps that higher freqencies go farther but ya get my drift

Pioneer is goooood shiznit

gr3k0sLaV
07-21-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
oh mah bad, your in Australia, i think vegas are a NA product, i'm not sure though, Pionner is excellent! i have 2 4" 80w pionteer highs are they peirce the eardrums quite nicely

I'm heard far away with these

well it helps that higher freqencies go farther but ya get my drift

Pioneer is goooood shiznit

What do you think of kenwood?

pimp86LX
07-21-2002, 06:50 AM
My deck is a kenwood! it only skipped once, when i nearly killed myself on the free way. the damn construction workers ripped up the road but didn't put up sign's so i nailed the un-paved, part (about 2inc drop) and BOOM, it skipped

but kenwood has a great repuation and hasn't let me down yet

(Kenwood KDC-217s)

gr3k0sLaV
07-21-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
My deck is a kenwood! it only skipped once, when i nearly killed myself on the free way. the damn construction workers ripped up the road but didn't put up sign's so i nailed the un-paved, part (about 2inc drop) and BOOM, it skipped

but kenwood has a great repuation and hasn't let me down yet

(Kenwood KDC-217s)

Yer, so ive heard. Im actually picking up my JVC deck tomorrow which is about $500, plays mp3, has sub output and a heap of other features, as for speakers ill say ill go kenwood, 220watt 3 ways in the back which i can get for about $160 and split in the front which are about $250

that'll be the base setup till i can afford and decide on what sort of amps and subs i want to use.

NOAHS88accord
07-22-2002, 01:04 AM
those are the shit ?

Kenwood decks are the shit also i love the flip face that is the shit!!!

NOah

gr3k0sLaV
07-22-2002, 03:41 AM
Actually I just picked up a Kenwood Deck Today, KDC-4020,
cost me $400

sounsd good. got it hooked to earthquake speakers.

86LX-ihatch
07-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Sony X-plode equipment is sub-par equipment. When Sony came out with the X-plode series equipment they focused much more on cosmetics than they did on performance. Their amplifier are grossly overrated and their subs are mediocre at best. Their headunits are "neat" but Ive seen people have more problems with them than with say a Alpine or Pioneer.

gr3k0sLaV
07-23-2002, 04:02 AM
Yer i wont be touching any explode stuff, cosmetics are decieving.

Im waiting till I save up enough for an earthquake 4-5 channel amp, or maybe something a little less exhuberent.

MiGeY
07-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Personally I would go for Clarion and/or Infinity.
Btw I'm going by good performance for the price. We can all go on and on about the great set up we could have if we had all the money.

Front + Rear speakers:

I would go for two pairs of Infinity for the fronts and rears. Not the bottom of the line ones though. They are great quality for the price.

A nice Clarion amp would go good with those speakers.

Subs + Amps:

I had a set of Dual Voice Coil 10" subs in a band pass box with a 200W rms amp. It was a good price for the performance, it pounded hard. It compared to my friends $5000 stereo.

Now what I would get is a set of Dual Voice Coil 12" subs with one or two 400W rms amps. Little more expensive but it would pound. I recommend the Dual Voice Coils because you can run each sub at a lower ohm rating and getting better power from the amps.

Deck:

Well anything that you like with some good high volt pre-outs.

Other:
Of course you would need all your other stuff like cross overs and such.

gr3k0sLaV
07-24-2002, 05:34 AM
So far ive gotten a Kenwood Headunit KDC 4040, with 2xrca out, stacker control, all the usual and 4 Earthquake Focus speakers, 2 5' in the front and 2 6' in the rear....They are worth their money and have huge ass magnets, im lucky I didnt put 6's in the front coz it wouldve blocked the glass.

My setup im thinking is next a 4 channel amp to drive the 4 speakers, coz they need an amp. And equalizer, the kenwood ones look good...and then finally a mono amp + sub.

koniglxi
07-24-2002, 06:19 AM
i got an xplod deck, amp, and front and rear speakers. the only thing i kinda don't like is the deck, just cause i want a new one. i don't really know about the subs though. i got poineer subs.

86LX-ihatch
07-24-2002, 07:46 PM
In my opinion Clarion amps are overpriced. The best amplifier I believe for the money are the Memphis Studios. best bang for the buck on sub amp would be a 500d,

gr3k0sLaV
07-25-2002, 04:14 AM
i found the amp i want, its a 6 channel earthquake amp, priced at $1200 that's what im getting....few more months from now..

pimp86LX
07-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by koniglxi
i got an xplod deck, amp, and front and rear speakers. the only thing i kinda don't like is the deck, just cause i want a new one. i don't really know about the subs though. i got poineer subs.

I have an old Explod tape deck

it was actually very good and dependable

but there subs blow goat cock

:D

dXsquared
07-25-2002, 02:53 PM
XPLOAD BLOWS ASS>
one of my local stores stopped carryin the line cuz they eat too much anus. they still have some stuff and they put warnings on them saying how shitty they are. they recomend them for low volume and power. its the stupid shit!
Travis
:flipa: SONY!!!

pimp86LX
07-25-2002, 05:10 PM
thats too bad though, my whole home setup is sony brand and its really good stuff, But that explod line was a mistake that cost them a blow to thier reputation.

bah,

86LX-ihatch
07-25-2002, 07:07 PM
you can do a memphis belle cheaper than that earthquake amp.

87AccordsterLx
07-28-2002, 01:08 PM
My sony deck CDX-M620 started to shit out on me right before It got stolen... the remote wouldnt work regardless of how many batteries I bought for it... the deck took like 1-3 minnutes to start up when it was cold... all sorts of things.. I must say that when it was working it sounded great... I got so many complements...

I have to 12" (2002) IMPP Pioneers right now in a sealed Fosgate Box and an Interfire amp... 400x2 rated 600x2 bridged @ 2ohms... one of the best kept secrets in amps... not that many people have heard of them yet they pound better then my fosgate... all around...

If you want a reliable speaker... just make sure its a known brand and that the speakers max wattage is much higher then your decks or amps max output is and your fine... go with a 2 or 3way speaker system or componets and one or 2 (depending on how you like your bass) 10" or 12" subs... You should be fine... The little differences in sound is not that big of a deal...

For amps... go with fosgate, JBL, JL Audio, Kicker, thump, interfire, or any of those higher rated amps... enjoy

89bumblethumper
07-28-2002, 07:20 PM
head-units....GO WITH PIONEER PREMIER( preferably DEH-740mp, bout $270 from www.ikesound.com )...RATED AMAZING AMONG MECP(Mobile electronics certified professionals) PROFESSORS... As for amps....86LX-ihatch was right...MEMPHIS is the SHIT for amps...PLUS...if you can find them online they are cheap...But competition grade shit...just look for the Studio series...their subs are amazing too...i dont suggest getting any "Popular" brand name subs...kenwood, sony, mtx, polk, infinity (WAY over priced)...save up for Diamond Audio or Memphis...I have 2 Memphis subs, a Memphis 500 amp and a memphis 4 channel....the BEST set-up ive heard from ANY car ive heard and around here....there are some good sounds.

Shagen
08-03-2002, 07:06 PM
With the right power and if you dont pound the piss out of them they will last for a long time, but if you abuse your system they're gonna get fried

Shagen
08-03-2002, 07:06 PM
really fast

sanjay
08-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Hey Xplods aren't that bad when compared to the price. although they do suck ass - but then again they're not a bad option for the pov students like myself.

Here's my setup:

Aiwa 4 X45W Head Unit with RCA
4" BossAudio Splits
6.5" Sony Xplods
180W RMS Altec Competition Amp
12" Phoenix Gold Subwoofer
Custom Enclosure (Vented)

All for the cheap cheap cheap price of 500 aussie which is 250 American...
eat that
and the speakers were all brand new!

sanjay
08-04-2002, 03:12 AM
i;ve gotta update my profile
eh too lazy